Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    A shocking moment : Carolina Kostner 2006 Olympics SP.
    And so touching, you can hear the crowdv rooting for her right after the fall.

vCash
    One of the most dramatic has to be Janet Lynn at 1971 Worlds. Her FS had been brilliant, but due to the weighting of the school figures component she missed out on a medal altogether. Trixie Schuba, Julie Holmes, and Karen Magnussen were stood atop the podium, but the French crowd were so outraged by the situation that one of the officials had to motion Janet Lynn to go and take a bow at the side of the rink. Upon doing so, they gave her a huge cheer and only then was the crowd appeased. That moment is captured in this video here. That moment also marked the beginning of the end for the compulsory figures as they reduced their weighting a few years later and introduced the short program.

Here is a documentary on the whole saga:-

Janet Lynn & Trixie Schuba - 1971 World Championships

vCash
    Akiko Suzuki's reaction after FS scores at 09 Japan Nationals. Into second place by .13 after a great program. I just adore her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...cbhKjZs#t=470s

vCash
    Johnny Weir winning 2004 Nationals after the Dallas disaster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    Akiko Suzuki's reaction after FS scores at 09 Japan Nationals. Into second place by .13 after a great program. I just adore her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...cbhKjZs#t=470s
    It's so touching! ... but then you also have to think about the bigger picture. I wonder what Yukari Nakano's reaction to same marks, was?

vCash
    ^ I still wish Yukari was sent to the 2010 Olympics... Anyways, anyone remember Yukari's 2008 Worlds scores?!?!? Lots of booing!!!

vCash
    Totmianina's horrific pairs fall

Woetzel's less horrific, but still awful trip and fall, then being carried off the ice by Steuer (US TV, subtle and classy as always, showed the trip no less than 5 times, from different angles)

Babilonia and Gardner's sad and truly last-second withdrawal from the Olys pairs comp, due to Gardner's groin injury

(I never saw this, but it sounds dramatic) Gary Beacom becoming so angry after his scores for compulsory figures were posted that he kicked the boards and his blade got stuck

Lipinski's shriek heard round the world after she won Oly gold

Peggy Fleming winning the US's ONLY Oly gold that year, after the US team was decimated from the plane crash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    It's so touching! ... but then you also have to think about the bigger picture. I wonder what Yukari Nakano's reaction to same marks, was?
    I know. There was a lot of emotional weight tied to that one score. I think you could hear it in the audience's reaction - sort of cheer/groan/shock. A bittersweet moment.

vCash
    Marie-France DUBREUIL fall at 2006 OG OD - it look scary
    Melissa Gregory - Denis Petukhov fall at 2007 Skate Canada during warm-up.
    Nobunari Oda laces have torn at OG.
    Takashi blades problems at 2011 WCh.
    Obertas-Palamarchuck fall in LP at 2000 WCh in Nice.
    Totmianina's horrific pairs fall
    Jessica Dube face cut at 2008 4CC championships
    Rochett SP at 2010 OG
    Buttle LP at 2004? (i think it was at 2004 Naionals in London), where he had falls at all jumps.
    Tessa Virtue stop skating during FD at 2011 4CC championship.
    Last edited by pani; 01-07-2012 at 04:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    I remember that. I was watching Lalique at the time too. I could not believe it.
    Also the Pairs event at Salt Lake in 2002. I live in England so I stayed up until about 3 in the morning. When I was waiting for Sale/Pelletier's marks I remember thinking that they were going to get a row of perfect 6's & then my jaw dropped when the second place came up (& I was a Elena & Anton fan !). Truly shocking.
    You can't be serious. A row of perfect sixes without any choreography, and just showing angst in the face? The competition was very close; the only drama was Sale's reaction on the podium and the subsequent awarding of double gold, for crying. If you disagreed with the judges' placement/marks, there must be tons of other examples like that.
    Last edited by Vash01; 01-07-2012 at 04:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I'm not sure I'd call most of the examples given shocking or dramatic. Emotional, yes.
    Maybe it's a language thing but my understanding of shocking and dramatic is something else and especially shocking as a negative tone to it, for me.
    Something I'd call shocking, for example, would be the fall of the Ukrainian pairs skaters at 2000 Worlds, Palamarchuk and partner.
    I am an English/Americanlanguage speaker, so it's not a language thing. When I saw the title of this thread, I had expected something very different from the the examples I am reading. It does not have to be negative in order to be dramatic, but shocking- may be. ITA about the Palamarchuk pairs fall, T&M's fall at Skate America. Those were truly dramatic and shocking, but a skater's reaction in the K&C or a poster's own reaction to scores as examples? Come on. Some examples are emotional but not necessarily shocking or dramatic (e.g. Katia's first solo performance).

I am having a tough time finding examples other than those already listed, and I may have missed a few.

I do find Rudy's win in San Jose in 1996 truly shocking. His awesome skate and the reaction from the audience and him was dramatic. Midori Ito's fall in the 1992 Oly SP was truly shocking, particularly since it was a simple 3Lutz, but not dramatic.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Surya Bonaly's silver medal strip off and refusal to stand on the medal podium at the 1994 Worlds medal ceremony.

vCash
    Paul Wylie's Olympic silver medal.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Wow these are all good...not much to add.
    Menzies / Bombardier bombing twice at nationals going for olympic spots that were so within their reach. They did it with other partners one cycle and then together.

Not sure if this was in there, but I thought Meier's Euros win was pretty awesome and exciting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Rudy's win in San Jose, 1996
    Tai & Randi's Olympic withdrawal, 1980
    Barbara Fusar Poli's death stare
    Shizuka's reaction in the K&C in Torino 2006

Yes, thanks, paskatefan -- I knew there was a deeply affecting incident that was missing from my list! It was heartbreaking to see Randy go out there in the warm-up and keep falling and to watch the look on Tai's face, later finding out that she had not been informed about the extent of his injury. So glad they both survived this experience and more importantly stayed together as a team forever. Love their memoir, Forever Two as One.

vCash
    - the Jelineks winning pairs gold in Prague in 1962
    - the entire first half of 1997
    - Miki Ando in the K&C when she won her first World title in 2007

vCash
    Everything about Pasha/Oksana/Madonna/Marilyn Grishuk in 1998.

vCash
    3 fall's long by Carolina Kostner at Vancouver and her following interview just a few minutes later..she was almost in tears

Joannie short at the Olympics..i had those images in my mind for all the day

Barbara and Maurizio falling in the last minute of their program in Turin..and of course, what happened after that

Sarah Meier reaction after winning euros last year

vCash
    Midori (1) falling into the camera pit after landing the 3lz-2t at 91 Worlds and (2) falling on the 3ltz in the SP at Albertville.

Janet Lynn falling on both of her 2A in the SP at the 73 Worlds.

vCash
    but a skater's reaction in the K&C or a poster's own reaction to scores as examples? Come on.
    I must have misunderstood the intended focus of the post. Or maybe I have a lower threshold for being shocked or finding the drama in a moment. I'll blame it on not watching the Kardashians enough.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast