Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Spending though millions on property if you have property though isn't necessarily that stupid. The money has to go somewhere and it can be seen as an investment. .
    Oh I agree with you, it may be a smart investment, I don't blame her for doing it. It's still seems very much 'lifestyles of the rich and famous', so far out of reach of the average wage earner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Oh I agree with you, it may be a smart investment, I don't blame her for doing it. It's still seems very much 'lifestyles of the rich and famous', so far out of reach of the average wage earner.
    It may be extravagant in terms of actual $$$, but it could also be not that extravagant when the cost is compared to what he or she both earn, or are worth. To me, "extravagant" is blowing money you don't have on things that you don't need.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nursebetty View Post
    Wonder where the land field is that is now housing all that stuff. Hopefully they went through the house before it was demolished. It's not any of my business, but what a waste.
    Salvaging fixtures, doors, tiles, glass etc. from demolition is a big business, especially from a home of that era. If she didn't think of it, the demolition crew would have. There are stores devoted to selling that stuff, especially if it is antique.

vCash
    Of course there will now be many more "wage earners" in this part of Florida, earning more money, because of the construction of the new house. So we have habitat for humanity getting all kinds of useful free stuff to help people in need, we have people being gainfully employed building a house, we have a new house that is probably more energy efficient than the original, and we have a mother who is putting her kids first by making sure they are close to their father (even if he is an extreme jerk who embarassed her in front of the entire world.) But OMG Elin should not have done any of this because the perception is one of excess and screwed up values. Hmm..... There are some screwed up values it this situation, but IMHO they are not Elin's.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Salvaging fixtures, doors, tiles, glass etc. from demolition is a big business, especially from a home of that era. If she didn't think of it, the demolition crew would have. There are stores devoted to selling that stuff, especially if it is antique.
    The article said she gave Habitat for Humanity time to go through and collect anything they could use.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    But the point is that she did think of it and she didn't sell the stuff. She gave it away. Why can't the headline read " Elin N gives contents of house to Habitat for Humanity." Why do we, as a generalization, need to be so negative and assume the worst about people. Elin has had many times in the last few years when she would have been perfectly within her rights to behave badly, yet she hasn't. From what has been reported she has taken the high road and put her children's wellbeing first. She doesn't appear to be looking for publicity and is no longer married to a public figure. She should just be left alone.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    She is receiving no more attention that any other celebrity would receive if they had done the same thing. Nor do I think that it's an everyday occurrence that 12 million dollar homes are bought and bulldozed, which is why this is a story...one of extreme excess.
    When you consider Tiger Woods bulldozed his $38 million dollar home to build the $50million dollar estate that he lives in now, you have to wonder why Ellin is being singled out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    But the point is that she did think of it and she didn't sell the stuff. She gave it away. Why can't the headline read " Elin N gives contents of house to Habitat for Humanity." Why do we, as a generalization, need to be so negative and assume the worst about people. Elin has had many times in the last few years when she would have been perfectly within her rights to behave badly, yet she hasn't. From what has been reported she has taken the high road and put her children's wellbeing first. She doesn't appear to be looking for publicity and is no longer married to a public figure. She should just be left alone.
    Exactly. I remember reading that Elin was apparently reluctant to get involved with Tiger because she was afraid she'd be perceived as a gold digger. The girl had plans to go back to school become a child psychologist and continued her education after her marriage. Just because someone marries someone who is wealthy, even a weathly pro athlete doesn't mean they are a gold digger.

Tiger married Elin likely because she was young, beautiful (perhaps naive being that young) and great with kids. He wanted have married her if she was the "typical gold digger". The fact that he wanted to remain married to her even after the scandal says frankly it all there.
    Last edited by bek; 01-09-2012 at 09:59 PM.

vCash
    I think at first everyone said, "Poor Elin." Then Elin began dating another billionaire, and folks started saying, "Gold digger."
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Ahhh, the powers of the press. When I first heard about this, I was aghast as well; my main objection was that she had not donated materials from the house to Habitat for Humanity. Had that information been part of the initial reports, a lot of the disgust for this story could have been avoided.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I think at first everyone said, "Poor Elin." Then Elin began dating another billionaire, and folks started saying, "Gold digger."
    Except that she is a multi- millionaire herself. It makes sense that she socializes with people at a similar economic level. Most of us have friends at a similar level economically. It also makes sense because she would known that he is not after her money. He is probably not in awe of Tiger either, which, I imagine, would be attractive to her.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Except that she is a multi- millionaire herself. It makes sense that she socializes with people at a similar economic level. Most of us have friends at a similar level economically. It also makes sense because she would known that he is not after her money. He is probably not in awe of Tiger either, which, I imagine, would be attractive to her.
    Exactly. I guess you can be a golddigger if you have many millions and want more, but more likely, you're trying to prevent yourself from being a victim of one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Thats the circles she travels in. Who knows she may be in it all for the money but she may not.
    Last edited by bek; 01-09-2012 at 11:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    Ahhh, the powers of the press. When I first heard about this, I was aghast as well; my main objection was that she had not donated materials from the house to Habitat for Humanity. Had that information been part of the initial reports, a lot of the disgust for this story could have been avoided.
    Yes, but that's the press's fault not hers. She did not publicize any of this, the press did. For her, as far as I can tell, this was a private transaction of a private person. Only when she was getting all the bad press then her builder defended her by telling about the donation.

vCash
    Yes, but that's the press's fault not hers. She did not publicize any of this, the press did. For her, as far as I can tell, this was a private transaction of a private person. Only when she was getting all the bad press then her builder defended her by telling about the donation.
    And people were judging her as this horrible wasteful person, calling her names. And then it turns out she has a 1. perfectly valid reason for tearing down that house. 2. She had already donated everything that could possibly be saved (something according to Habitat doesn't always happen).

Maybe Elin is a gold digger, its totally possible. But perhaps to people should recognize that its really unfair to judge a girl who frankly has never done anything wrong, just because she married well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Maybe Elin is a gold digger, its totally possible. But perhaps to people should recognize that its really unfair to judge a girl who frankly has never done anything wrong, just because she married well.
    Actually, while she has lots of $$ from the divorce (and enjoyed a well-funded lifestyle while married), I hardly think that she "married well" all things considered. Of course, that's just from my point of view, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Actually, while she has lots of $$ from the divorce (and enjoyed a well-funded lifestyle while married), I hardly think that she "married well" all things considered. Of course, that's just from my point of view, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.
    Well obviously she didn't marry well. But I guess I should have said she married a really rich guy. Still though the anger to her, when she certainly wasn't the one who betrayed Tiger, is ridiculous. He treated her horrifically. Especially when you consider the sexually transmitted diseases he exposed her too. (Something Tiger's pals like to forget about).

vCash
    I think she deserves that money, if Tiger can live in big mansions why not his children? They should be able to live the same life he does growing up.

vCash
    She's lucky she never got arrested for domestic violence. I heard she broke his jaw with a golf club. I'm not joking.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    She's lucky she never got arrested for domestic violence. I heard she broke his jaw with a golf club. I'm not joking.
    I heard this too.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast