Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I live in a semi tropical area near the ocean with expensive land prices. During the real estate run up many older homes on ocean or near ocean lots were purchased on spec. When the real estate house of cards collapsed the houses were basically abandoned and the empty structures deteriorated quickly from the bugs, brutal sun, the humidity and salt exposure.

Even minor roof leaks in a closed house with no a/c in 95 degree weather with 100% humidity can destroy a house pretty quickly. Don't know if that is the case here but what she did is not unprecedented if the house had extensive termite damage, mold, leaks and/or rot.
    Last edited by Auntie; 01-08-2012 at 01:14 PM.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    More info...makes a lot of sense if it's true: http://www.people.com/people/article...+International

vCash
    Next time that Elin buys a home, perhaps she should have an inspection performed first. It would determine if a home has termite/carpet ant infestation, or if it meets wind-loading requirements.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Well that stinks, but termites is termites.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Hmm...maybe this other news story will be helpful for others to understand what I'm feeling:

Closing Bridal Store, Priscilla of Boston, Spray Paints Designer Gowns and Outrages Women

The wealthy have every right to be as wasteful as they wish. I just don't understand that mindset. How people can put blinders on to the fact that others we share the planet with have no food, clothing or shelter. I just don't get it...
    With all due respect, that scenario doesn't really compare to what Elin did. What the bridal shop did was ruin the dresses to the point that no one could use for the simple reason of denying other people the use of the dresses (probably because the bridal shop didn't seem them as the "right" type of person). That is wasteful.

What Elin did is like taking her wedding dress, tearing it apart and making another dress out of it for her use. Then donating scraps for other people to use.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Next time that Elin buys a home, perhaps she should have an inspection performed first. It would determine if a home has termite/carpet ant infestation, or if it meets wind-loading requirements.
    Some things you don't see until you start tearing things down. As for wind-loading requirements it's likely they were going to do whatever was needed to bring it up to code during the renovations but when they started tearing things down...
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Perhaps she really wanted the property. Its oceanfront property in one of the most prestigious neighborhoods in the country... If that house was that bad someone was going to tear it down-why not her.

I actually kind of feel that the only reason people are scrutinizing her is because they somehow feel she didn't deserve that money. It amazes me because Tiger married her with no intention of being faithful and pretty much publically embarrassed her to the Nth degree. If she as completely greedy she could have probably gone for more money.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I think it would have been better revenge if she'd bought the US Open Golf Course and blown it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I think it would have been better revenge if she'd bought the US Open Golf Course and blown it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I actually kind of feel that the only reason people are scrutinizing her is because they somehow feel she didn't deserve that money.
    I don't think so. At a time when the economy is so bad and many are losing their homes due to foreclosure, the story of someone buying and then bulldozing a 12 million dollar home is going to hit a nerve regardless of the person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Why did she buy it if she did not like it?
    Because the vast majority of the buying price was probably the land and not the actual house.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    It's her money, and she should do whatever she wants with it. I'm sure she's neither the first nor the last millionaire to do such a thing.
    No.

Her money should be taken away and spent on funding a Novice GP and she should be burnt at the stake.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Wow what a completely awful comment to make in a thread about a woman buying property...who happens to be of Swedish descent.
    Why is it awful?

It can't be denied that rampant consumerism is a part of American culture, whether you perceive it to be a good or a bad thing.

(Of course in this case, bulldozing the house apparently made financial sense, I'm making a general point)

vCash
    I don't think so. At a time when the economy is so bad and many are losing their homes due to foreclosure, the story of someone buying and then bulldozing a 12 million dollar home is going to hit a nerve regardless of the person.
    Something that happens every day and celebrities do all the time, so why exactly is Elin's doing this getting all this kind of attention....?

Not only that but by having this new house constructed its going to result in work for a bunch of people. Something surely needed in this economy.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    She bulldozed it because of termites. Happy now?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d...171330450.html
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Already been posted.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Something that happens every day and celebrities do all the time, so why exactly is Elin's doing this getting all this kind of attention.....
    She is receiving no more attention that any other celebrity would receive if they had done the same thing. Nor do I think that it's an everyday occurrence that 12 million dollar homes are bought and bulldozed, which is why this is a story...one of extreme excess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It can't be denied that rampant consumerism is a part of American culture, whether you perceive it to be a good or a bad thing.

(Of course in this case, bulldozing the house apparently made financial sense, I'm making a general point)
    Not only does it make financial sense but she apparently gave Habitat for Humanity four weeks to raid the house and take anything useful. Probably all before she knew she'd get this kind of press, for something that goes on every day. Better to rase down a building in already used location than to take unused land/natural habitat.

So seemingly "not selfish" really at all.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Not seeing the big deal here. It's not just celebrities - homes of all shapes and sizes get torn down and replaced all the time, as do commercial and public buildings, for any number of reasons.

As has been pointed out, the bright side is that jobs are being created, money is being pumped into the economy (likely much of it locally), land is being reused, and more than likely, the new home will be more energy efficient and less likely to cost insurers because it's up to modern code.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Not seeing the big deal here. It's not just celebrities - homes of all shapes and sizes get torn down and replaced all the time, as do commercial and public buildings, for any number of reasons.

As has been pointed out, the bright side is that jobs are being created, money is being pumped into the economy (likely much of it locally), land is being reused, and more than likely, the new home will be more energy efficient and less likely to cost insurers because it's up to modern code.
    Exactly. And the reason I brought people disliking Elin because she got a lot of Tiger's money. There are Tiger fans that are saying that Elin, yes Elin destroyed Tiger's life.

Because Elin put a gun to Tiger's head, forced him to marry her and cheat with hundreds of women.

vCash
    She is receiving no more attention that any other celebrity would receive if they had done the same thing. .
    I think she is getting much more press than another celebrity who might have done the same, because this money came from a scandal/divorce that was headline news for months. Moreover, the wording and attitude of the press (ie bulldozing, wrecking ) is specific to Elin and her battering SUV battering incident. It's a very extravagant thing to do, but she's certainly not the first or last rich person to rebuild on prime real-estate nor is the amount out of line with what other celebrities might spend. Tiger spent 50 million on his estate, so if Elin spends, say, 8 million to construct the new house, she'll be 30 million more 'frugal' than he was. Again, both are extravagant, but why focus so much attention on this one particular person?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I think she is getting much more press than another celebrity who might have done the same, because this money came from a scandal/divorce that was headline news for months. Moreover, the wording and attitude of the press (ie bulldozing, wrecking ) is specific to Elin and her battering SUV battering incident. It's a very extravagant thing to do, but she's certainly not the first or last rich person to rebuild on prime real-estate nor is the amount out of line with what other celebrities might spend. Tiger spent 50 million on his estate, so if Elin spends, say, 8 million to construct the new house, she'll be 30 million more 'frugal' than he was. Again, both are extravagant, but why focus so much attention on this one particular person?
    Spending though millions on property if you have property though isn't necessarily that stupid. The money has to go somewhere and it can be seen as an investment. Apparently too Elin wanted a house that was close to where Tiger was for her kids (this one is 10 minutes away).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast