Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84
  1. #1
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283

    Ex-Wife Of Tiger Woods Buys $12 Million Home - Then Bulldozes It To The Ground

    According to TMZ, Elin Nordegren bought a $12 million home in North Palm Beach, Fla., but didn't like it, and has plowed the whole thing.

    Lifestyles of the rich and famous??

    The (former) home looked incredible. Six bedrooms and eight bathrooms. Now it's just rubble. She makes the one-percent'ers proud....
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34438
    Well, I guess it could provide some jobs and a mini-boost to the local economy if she's planning to build something new on the site. If not, maybe it will just revert to nature and add to the greenspace.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Why did she buy it if she did not like it?

    It's sickening that some people can just throw money away.

  4. #4
    Tinami 2012
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    11,446
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    6863
    It looks from the picture like it's an A+ location right on the beach, yet secluded.

    It's possible that the land is worth the lion's share of the price she paid, and the house itself is worth "just" a couple million.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,121
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    That is pretty common for houses in that price range. I see articles all the time about the Hollywood set doing this, and no one makes any comment about it, I don't know why the press is making such a big deal. If the house is 40 or 50 years old it may be pretty costly to renovate. I like it, but maybe she just liked the site. She also may have bought it as a real estate investment and is planning to sub-divide the property and re-sell.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's her money, and she should do whatever she wants with it. I'm sure she's neither the first nor the last millionaire to do such a thing.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Don't see what the big deal is. Plenty of people buy houses for the location and tear them down or extensively renovate them.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,887
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    90270
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Don't see what the big deal is. Plenty of people buy houses for the location and tear them down or extensively renovate them.
    I also don't see the problem. I'm sure all the contractors who will be building the new house, not to mention the architects, designers, and support staff, will be thrilled with the work and the pay! During a recession the best thing is for the rich to spend their money - lots of money - to help the economy.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My dad thought maybe she did to get back at Tiger -- you know, spending $12 million of his money (or what was originally his money) on something and then destroying it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    It looks from the picture like it's an A+ location right on the beach, yet secluded.

    It's possible that the land is worth the lion's share of the price she paid, and the house itself is worth "just" a couple million.
    That was my first thought as well.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,165
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    It's her money, and she should do whatever she wants with it. I'm sure she's neither the first nor the last millionaire to do such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    My dad thought maybe she did to get back at Tiger -- you know, spending $12 million of his money (or what was originally his money) on something and then destroying it.
    Well, what Tiger did was wrong but Elin isn't like the head of a multi-billion dollar company where she can expect the money in the form of huge yearly salaries to keep pouring in. The way she is spending, that $100 million won't last forever. $12 million to buy the house, not sure how many million the new house will cost plus the expenses incurred building the new house then maintaining it.

    She reminds me of watching those Lottery Changed my Life then ruined it programs. Those people also get one lump sum then run through it living like wealthy socialites.

    It always makes me at how easily celebrities run through such large amounts of cash. They never seem to think of the future.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,725
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh, America...

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    263
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Oh, America...
    She's not an American. Nice of her to spend her money here, but she's from Sweden.

  14. #14
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    "All the other kids shoplift, so what's the big deal if I shoplifted too?"
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    An American Circumstance
    Posts
    4,652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't see what the big deal is, she probably paid for the location more than anything. Isn't that the cardinal rule of real estate, location location location?

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,298
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31302
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    Well, what Tiger did was wrong but Elin isn't like the head of a multi-billion dollar company where she can expect the money in the form of huge yearly salaries to keep pouring in.
    I don't think she settled for a one-time-only payment from Tiger, particularly as IIRC she has primary custody of their kids, and will be incurring ongoing expenses in taking care of them. I'm pretty sure she gets ongoing payments from Tiger, and I am also pretty sure that Tiger has enough money in investments etc. to keep making those payments, regardless of what his current salary is. So in a way she probably is like the head of a company with an ongoing revenue stream.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,725
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    She's not an American. Nice of her to spend her money here, but she's from Sweden.
    You don't have to be born an American to act like one.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    47
    Posts
    8,165
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I love the generalizations. Americans are not the only ones who spend on lavish lifestyles. That is not a soley American trait contrary to popular thought. Have you ever heard of the Ecclestones? Daddy is the British owner of Formula 1 (or One?) racing and bought one of his lovely daughters Candy Spelling old house for $85 million. I've also seen articles and programs on billionaires and their trust fund children from all over the world.

    Anyhoo...

    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I don't think she settled for a one-time-only payment from Tiger, particularly as IIRC she has primary custody of their kids, and will be incurring ongoing expenses in taking care of them. I'm pretty sure she gets ongoing payments from Tiger, and I am also pretty sure that Tiger has enough money in investments etc. to keep making those payments, regardless of what his current salary is. So in a way she probably is like the head of a company with an ongoing revenue stream.
    That's true but aside from the child support payments (I guess she could use those payments for expenses as well) what I meant was that no matter whether Elin receives her payment in a lump sum or in installments, once Tiger reaches the $100 million mark he will no longer owe that part of the payment. The only thing he will be required to pay would be child support for each child until they reach the age of 18.

    Or perhaps it doesn't work that way and child support is part of the $100 million? And perhaps Elin might also be smart enough to invest in which case I can definitely see that her income will continue.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    9,146
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34134
    It's not like she spent that money on Kelly Clarkson CDs. She bought an asset that has a good chance of appreciating in value. And this $12million home probably cost quite a bit more just a few years ago. So, you go, Ex-Wife of Tiger Woods Whose Name I Don't Care To Know!!

    ETA: The old house is okay, I suppose. I prefer something like the Graysons' summer house on Revenge!

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Canada baby!
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,591
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3318
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    You don't have to be born an American to act like one.
    Wow what a completely awful comment to make in a thread about a woman buying property...who happens to be of Swedish descent.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •