Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

The Influence of Musicals on Figure Skating

Back in 2006, the American Film Institute unveiled its own list of the 25 greatest movie musicals of all time (AFI List). Its an interesting list from a figure skating perspective because most of the musicals on that list have inspired at least one program by a skater and it therefore highlights the impact musicals have had on figure skating down the years. Take a look at the film excerpts and compare them with the figure skating programs they have inspired (for the first 15 musicals on the list). I think that in their own unique way, the skating programs certainly do the musicals justice.

1. Singin' In The Rain

Film Excerpt

Kurt Browning - Singin in the Rain

2. West Side Story

Film Excerpt

Alissa Czisny - 2008 US Nationals - LP (West Side Story)

3. The Wizard of Oz

Film Excerpt

Mao Asada - JGPF 2004 - SP (Wizard of Oz)

4. The Sound of Music

Film Excerpt

Rosalynn Sumners - My Favourite Things - The Sound of Music

Janet Lynn - The Sound of Music

5. Cabaret

Film Excerpt

Natalia Bestemianova and Andrei Bukin - 1987 World Championships - Free Dance (Cabaret)

6. Mary Poppins

Film Excerpt

Dominique Dieck & Michael Zenkner - NRW Trophy - Junior Short Dance - Chim-Chim-Cheree (Mary Poppins)

7. A Star Is Born

Film Excerpt

Suggestions re figure skating programs?

8. My Fair Lady

Film Excerpt

Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko - 1990 World Championships - Free Dance (My Fair Lady)

9. An American In Paris

An American in Paris

Ilia Kulik - 1995 European Championships - LP (An American in Paris)

10. Meet Me In St. Louis

Film Excerpt

Linda Fratianne - The Trolley Song (Meet Me In St Louis)

11. The King & I

Film Excerpt

Suggestions re figure skating programs?

12. Chicago

Film Excerpt

Shae-Lynn Bourne - All That Jazz (Chicago)

13. 42nd Street

Film Excerpt

Michele Cantu - 2004 World Championships - SP (42nd Street)

14. All That Jazz

Film Trailer

Tonia Kwiatkowski - 1997 US Nationals - SP - There's No Business Like Show Business (All That Jazz - was also in Annie Get Your Gun)

15. Top Hat

Film Excerpt

Judy Blumberg and Michael Seibert - 1982 World Championships - FD (Astaire & Rogers Program)

There are loads more out there for each and every musical. Lets hear what your favourites are! Please also if possible post a link to the video of it if one exists on YouTube or elsewhere.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-06-2012 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    Here are my favorite West Side Story-inspired skating programs:

Duchesnays

Scott Davis

Akiko Suzuki

It seems that the only time Todd Eldredge's short program to music from The King and I was televised in full in the US, he wasn't wearing the official costume

vCash
    Last edited by falling_dance; 01-06-2012 at 11:43 PM.

vCash
    Didn't Evan Lysacek do a routine to "Singin' in the Rain"? And didn't "An American in Paris" take Tim Goebel to an Oly bronze (and two world silvers)?

vCash
    Drobiazko/Vanagas have my favourite Phantom of the Opera program

vCash
    Todd Eldredge skated a short program to 'The king and I'. I don't remember the year.

Midori Ito skated to Singing in the rain and Le Mis at the 1992 Olympic exhibitions.

Lots of skaters have used West side story (Totmianina-Marinin, Trifun Zivanovic,I think the Carruthers skated to 'Someday', )

Le Mis (Kwan, Wylie, etc.)

Phantom of the opera (Boitano, Ina-Zimmerman, Totmianina-Marinin, etc.).

Tim Goebel also skated to An American in Paris. I actually liked his program better than Kulik's.

Oksana Baiul skated to Chicago (All that Jazz) in a pro competition.

Evelyn Grossman skated to Sound of Music.

Irina Slutskaya skated to a Broadway medley around 1995 or 1996.

Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze skated to 'The man from La Mancha' (The impossible dream) and the number 'Luck be a lady tonight'- I don't remember which musical it is from.

Gordeeva-Grinkov skated to music from Porgy & Bess.

Paul Wylie skated to 'This is the moment' from Jekyll & Hyde

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Here are my favorite West Side Story-inspired skating programs:

Duchesnays
    Wow, that choreography was so T&D! Paul and Isabele unfortunately did not have T&D's skating skill to carry off the program successfully.

vCash
    Don't forget Akiko Suzuki's WSS FS in 2010!

Tomas Verner used Singin' in the Rain last year for his SP, and Elene Gedevanishivili used Cabaret for her SP a few years back.

vCash
    I love this one from Man of La Mancha

Pang & Tong 2010 Olympic LP

vCash
    It seems that the only time Todd Eldredge's short program to music from The King and I was televised in full in the US, he wasn't wearing the official costume
    Many thanks for locating the video for this.

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Didn't Evan Lysacek do a routine to "Singin' in the Rain"? And didn't "An American in Paris" take Tim Goebel to an Oly bronze (and two world silvers)?
    Timothy Goebel - 2002 Olympics - LP (An American in Paris)

Evan Lysacek - 1995 World Championships - LP (Singin' in the Rain)

Evan Lysacek - 1995 Marshall Challenge - Singin' in the Rain

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Midori Ito skated to Singing in the rain..at the 1992 Olympic exhibitions.

Lots of skaters have used West side story (Totmianina-Marinin, Trifun Zivanovic....)

Oksana Baiul skated to Chicago (All that Jazz) in a pro competition.

Evelyn Grossman skated to Sound of Music.
    Midori Ito - 1992 Olympics - Exhibition (Singin' in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz (Over the Rainbow))

Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin - 2002 Olympics - LP (West Side Story)

Trifun Zivanovic - 1999 US Nationals - LP (West Side Story)

Oksana Baiul - All That Jazz - 1997 WorldPro

Evelyn Grossmann - 1989 World Championships - LP (Sound of Music)

What a shame Evelyn Grossmann never went on to attain the same heights that Katarina Witt did - injuries basically curtailed her career.

Also, charming performance from Midori Ito in the exhibition - showing once again that she had plenty of artistry, musicality, and interpretive ability (which enabled her to fully capture the spirit of her programs) to go with her technical prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Don't forget Akiko Suzuki's WSS FS in 2010!

Tomas Verner used Singin' in the Rain last year for his SP, and Elene Gedevanishivili used Cabaret for her SP a few years back.
    Akiko Suzuki - 2010 Olympics - FS (West Side Story)

Elene Gedevanishvili - 2008 World Championships - SP (Cabaret)

Elene Gedevanishvili - 2011 World Championships - SP - (Cell Block Tango from Chicago (2002 Film))

TomᚠVerner - 2011 European Championships - SP (Singin' in the Rain)
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-07-2012 at 01:21 PM.

vCash

Actually, we saw Todd skate live to "The King & I" (March of the Siamese Children/Shall We Dance?) in a similar relatively ornate costume in a pro-am that took place in Philly in December 1993. We had only bought tickets for the short program. In retrospect, I wish we had bought tickets for the free skates as well. The pro am was held over two days, a Sunday afternoon and Monday evening. Now that you mention it, I don't think they necessarily aired the men's short programs, but
    pro am free skate (his "Chaplin" program) was aired on ABC. It was his short program for 1993/1994, and he may have used it for part of the 1994/1995 season (until he started skating to the soundtrack from "Swing Kids"). He has also skated to music from "Les Mis" (1998 sp -"Les Mis medley" and "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables"). He has also skated to "This is the Moment," "Wilkommen" from "Cabaret," "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from "Spamalot" in SOI and in this season's SOI, "The Waiters' Gallop" from "Hello Dolly."

I must say that Midori Ito's "Rain" exhibition from the 1992 Olympics is one of my all time favorite programs of any skater, period!
    Last edited by paskatefan; 01-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    16 funny girl
    Annette poetzch 1980 lp
    19 on the town
    Tara 1996 sp
    20 grease
    Evan 2006? Scraped sp
    22 beauty and the beast
    Kerrigan 1993 lp
    23 guys and dolls
    Dotty hamil 1980s world pro lp
    25 moulin rouge
    Far too many tango de Roxanne's to ever count, so I'm just going to list my fav: kwan's rumored sp from circa 2005 that never materialized. The myth had a life of its own.

vCash
    I can't believe you forgot Yuna's Tango de Roxanne(from Moulin Rouge), her senior debut short program which set the world record of 71 points at Worlds 07!

Though it's not included piece on the list above, Yuna's another record breaking free program from 2007-2008 season features Miss Saigon. IMO the highlight of this program starts from the moment she starts her spiral sequence which leads to beautiful combination spin and 2A-3T with lyrical piano sound. But I do prefer the one from Worlds 08. It's more artistically polished even under the influence of injuries.

Thanks Maofan7 for this wonderful thread Figure skating in this way, has much more artistic side than it is pure sports. Truly amazing sport!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Now that you mention it, I don't think they necessarily aired the men's short programs, but
    pro am free skate (his "Chaplin" program) was aired on ABC. It was his short program for 1993/1994, and he may have used it for part of the 1994/1995 season (until he started skating to the soundtrack from "Swing Kids").
    Actually, he started using it during the 1992-93 season (I think midseason IIRC) and kept it through 1993-94 except for Goodwill Games when he already had a preliminary version of Swing Kids, not the final cuts.

Then he brought The King and I back for fall 1995. I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that he said the reason was because he had spent a fortune on the costume and wanted to get it on TV. But then he didn't wear it at Skate America, which was his best chance in the fall to get a short program on TV!

For whatever reason he went back to Swing Kids for Nationals-series final-Worlds 1996, at the same time he switched from Chess to First Knight for the long program.

However, just for that fall 1995, with TK&I and Chess, my friend and I described his programs as Two Nights in Bangkok.

And yes, he did use a lot of music from musicals over the years.

vCash
    Sasha Cohen did Mein Herr by incomparable Liza Minelli(god I love her!) from Cabaret in 2010. I was blown away by this performance on Youtube.

vCash
    I don't think this has been mentioned-

Duchesnays' OD at the 1992 Oly: Lonely goatherd (Sound of music)

vCash
    "Face the Music and Dance" from "Follow the Fleet" has been done by several ice dance teams, most notably by Torvil and Dean in the 94 Olympics. "Puttin'on My White Tie and Tails" gets sampled a lot by male skaters and dancers, especially the part where he shoots down the chorus line with his cane. Someone did it last season, but I can't remember whom.

Davis and White did "Phantom of the Opera" in 2010. Is anyone doing it this season? If not, that would be a record in itself.

Brian Boitano also did "An American in Paris
    Kira Korpi did "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" from the "Wizard of Oz"
    Sasha Cohen did "I Could Have Danced All Night" in COI (My Fair Lady)
    Last edited by aliceanne; 01-07-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Belbin and Agosto's short-lived "That's Entertainment"..

Tara's "Anastasia"..

Michelle's "Mulan" exhibition

Samuelson and Bates OD "Let Yourself Go": from "Follow the Fleet"

vCash
    Jenny Kirk did her 2004 SP to "Chicago". IMO, this was one of her best performances and I remember thinking at the time that Jenny's dress was gorgeous and her overall look was very glam.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Sasha Cohen did Mein Herr by incomparable Liza Minelli(god I love her!) from Cabaret in 2010. I was blown away by this performance on Youtube.
    Absolutely fantastic and she put in a superb performance of it at the 2010 Japan Open as well:-

Sasha Cohen - Mein Herr - Japan Open 2010 Exhibition

And here is Carolina Kostner's version:-

Carolina Kostner - 2011 World Championships Exhibition - Mein Herr

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't think this has been mentioned-

Duchesnays' OD at the 1992 Oly: Lonely goatherd (Sound of music)
    Isabelle & Paul Duchesnay - 1992 Olympics - OD (The Lonely Goatherd - The Sound of Music)

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Kira Korpi did "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" from the "Wizard of Oz"
    Sasha Cohen did "I Could Have Danced All Night" in COI (My Fair Lady)
    Kiira Korpi - 2011 World Championships - SP (Over the Rainbow - Wizard of Oz)

Sasha Cohen - I Could Have Danced All Night (My Fair Lady)

And here are some others:-

Kiira Korpi - 2011 NHK Trophy - LP (I Got Rhythm - An American in Paris)

Jozef Sabovčík - 1986 European Championships - LP (An American in Paris)

Josée Chouinard - 1994 Olympics - LP (An American in Paris)

Katarina Witt - 1986 World Championships - LP (West Side Story) and same program from Katarina from the 1987 World Championships
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-08-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast