Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vanessa Crone

vCash
    I'm a proud Canadian through and through, but I really think at this high level we need to do what is best for the athletes. To me it seems like a fair trade. Canada can keep Piper, and the US can keep Vanessa. Maybe there are easier routes to citizenship for Vanessa in the US.

I get that there has been some support and commitment to Vanessa (and Paul) over the years in Canada, but I'm pretty sure the lion's share of the expenses were not paid by Skate Canada, but her parents and private supporters. She's already given back by winning Nationals and participating internationally for many years. Why can't we just let her go and skate with someone who is a good match for her? I don't see why Skate Canada should "own" any athlete. At the Senior level, the field of potential is exceptionally small, even internationally. There should be some way for this partnership, if it is good fit, to be possible.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Does anyone know the details on USFS' position on Hubbell? USFS has been inconsistent with the lengths of releases. According to Gilles, USFS is holding her for two seasons. It told Matthews it would hold her for four, the maximum its own rules say they can. They released her partner, Maxim Zavozin, in less than that; at the time, there were allegations that the Hungarian Fed paid USFS for the earlier release and that Zavozin had to pay back the Hungarian Fed.

Did USFS agree to the same release schedule as Gilles, which was too late for Crone, or did they say they would keep him for longer/the maximum?

There is a rule in the ISU constitution that allows the ISU to grant release after two years to citizens and, in some cases, permanent residents of a second Federation, if the second Federation files for the exception. I wonder if USFS' agreement to release Gilles and Zavozin in two seasons, the same amount of time in the ISU exception process, stemmed from likely impending citizenship in the new Federations country, but insist on longer terms for those who don't have the citizenship route.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Gilles' last international competition was 2010 JW, where she and Zach Donohue placed 9th. Their last medal was in the 2009-2010 JGP, where they won two bronze medals. They made the JGPF but withdrew before the competition. The US is holding Piper back until nearly 2013, about 3 years.

The Hubbells won bronze at 2010 4CC. The US could refuse to release him until 2014 on that basis.

vCash
    Are these federations that refuse releases actively helping/trying to find a suitable match for the skaters?
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    Nope. They're ... not taking into consideration the athletes there, just the medal potential they can loose. Sore loosers.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    The Olympics are in two years. Even if both were released by their federations I don't see how either could gain citizenship in two years? Isn't that what somebody on the previous page said was the main issue for them?
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    It's just such a shame that there are wonderful skaters like Vanessa who are world class that cannot skate because of these rules set out by federations. We are being robbed as well as them .
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    The Olympics are in two years. Even if both were released by their federations I don't see how either could gain citizenship in two years? Isn't that what somebody on the previous page said was the main issue for them?

The Olympics is just one competition, albeit quite the event.

The issue is a federation release is required for an athlete to compete at ANY international competition. Without it they would be training to compete at Nationals only, with no opportunity to go anywhere from there.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Crone, K. Hubbell, and Yankowskas . . . . I really hope to see them all back on the ice competing soon!

vCash
    Really feeling bad for Vanessa and others who are in skating limbo like this. Here's to hoping something can be done soon.
    Crazy about sports!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    He could with a special grant of citizenship like Kaitlyn Weaver got. Weaver was in Canada longer although not for the full three years of residency normally required, but since Crone/Hubbell would have been training in Canada for nearly three seasons by 2014 had they teamed early this season, it would have been possible had they been competitive, which is not a given, with Paul/Islam and Gilles/Poirier in the mix, and with Gilles/Poirier able to get in 1.75 seasons of international competition before Soichi. If the ISU sticks with the split couple rules for the alternates list, C/P will get a GP slot next season, and Skate Canada can assign one of their slots.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    One way to solve all this is for Paul and Vanessa to get back together. I know, just a dream of mine.

living every minute
    vCash
    I actually like the new pairing of G & P better. There's a whole different energy to the team and it seems to showcase Paul's exquisite skating better.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    I actually like the new pairing of G & P better. There's a whole different energy to the team and it seems to showcase Paul's exquisite skating better.
    Of course it showcases his skating, Gilles has nowhere near the skill or lightness of Crone. So the contrast of skating is very noticeable - result Paul shines.

Looking for my siggy!!!
    vCash
    yea no offense to dear Piper but it is the "Paul Poirier Show" as far as I can see!!!!!!! I really don't think this pairing will last, maybe he and Jana could team up good luck to Piper & Paul at Nats.
    Last edited by Penniless Rostrum; 01-11-2012 at 06:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Penniless Rostrum View Post
    yea no offense to dear Piper but it is the "Paul Poirier Show" as far as I can see!!!!!!! I really don't think this pairing will last, maybe he and Jana could team up good luck to Piper & Paul at Nats.
    Definitely the Paul Poirier Show, and lots of lobbying and pumping going on. I almost wish they had taken the year to really work on their unison, lines and partnering together. That's what they are really going to need to be successful internationally. The challenge with getting over-scored so ridiculously at home is that they can be setup for one huge disappointment when they reach the international stage. What they do is very entertaining, and a whole lot of fun to watch, and they are clearly enjoying themselves, but I wouldn't call it dancing. It's a series of tricks. And next to some very good teams who have such great lines, edges and real dancing skills, they are going to be very lucky to land in the top 10 in the world. It will not be an improvement over Crone/Poirier. That's the thing.... There are no short cuts in ice dance. You have to put in the time to have the unison and line and edges and quality skating together. It doesn't just happen.

I like the energy of the new team. I like that they are enjoying themselves. I like that Paul is the leader in this team. I think he was the pampered boy by both Crone and his coaches in his former partnership. But it seems a bit of an over-correction. Only time will tell how this team develops and matures together. For now, I feel that they are very over-scored, and I fear it will only serve to hurt them in the long-term. There is no reason or benefit to doing so now.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    For now, I feel that they are very over-scored, and I fear it will only serve to hurt them in the long-term. There is no reason or benefit to doing so now.
    I believe their scores have been reasonable given the level of performances and competitors they've competed against so far. Ralph/Hill admittedly had a very disastrous outing in the one event (The Challenge) they competed in with Gilles/Poirier. Paul is an infinitely better skater than any other dancer that competed in their Sectionals. The scoring is relative to the competitors in the event. It's not like Paul and Piper competed against a clean Virtue/Moir or Weaver/Poje and received the scores they have thus far.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage View Post
    Of course it showcases his skating, Gilles has nowhere near the skill or lightness of Crone. So the contrast of skating is very noticeable - result Paul shines.
    Have to agree with that. After a few viewings I realized I was focusing on Paul and trying to block her out. They obviously didn't want to work together anymore but from the waist down those two were perfect together.

vCash
    I actually think this year IS a building year for them-- really just a few competitions to get ready for next year. As much as I liked Vanessa and Paul, love the energy of Piper and Paul and am optimistic they will grow as a team...

vCash
    Have to agree with that. After a few viewings I realized I was focusing on Paul and trying to block her out. They obviously didn't want to work together anymore but from the waist down those two were perfect together.
    This is a more conventional looking pairing but he's not appearing as the leading man if that was expected. He's the showpiece and she is decoration. An "overcorrection" - yes. He and Vanessa were sharp, strong, and didn't look like every other team. Not romantic chemistry but it wasn't brother/sister. Very powerful.

I miss her skating. Very disappointed about the Hubbell situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12