Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Vanessa Crone

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    626
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6127

    Vanessa Crone

    Does anybody know if Vanessa has found a new partner? I was so sorry to hear of her split with Paul. She always seemed to have spunk and I really liked her athletic style. I hope this is not the end of her dance career.
    pug lover

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    125
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I thought she is skating now with K. Hubbell. I definitely saw some pics with her and other icedancers from Camarlengo group. Can anyone confirm it?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    683
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    In Detroit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladida View Post
    I thought she is skating now with K. Hubbell. I definitely saw some pics with her and other icedancers from Camarlengo group. Can anyone confirm it?
    I was there enjoying watching skating and i dont remember seeing her there. Shae Lynn was there and she's even more beautiful in person She might of been there earlier in the day but was not there when i was... i dont think... lol

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the K/N void
    Posts
    2,408
    vCash
    892
    Rep Power
    1843
    Does anyone think Crone/Hill would make a good team? Though Ralph/Hill have improved, basically she is nowhere near as good as he is and is holding the team down. He needs a better partner - he's an excellent dancer with a great sense of rhythm, but he'll never get anywhere IMO until he gets a better partner.

    And to leave Vanessa languishing without a partner is just so wrong - she's the Jana of Canada - definitely too good to waste.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladida View Post
    I thought she is skating now with K. Hubbell. I definitely saw some pics with her and other icedancers from Camarlengo group. Can anyone confirm it?
    No, that plan fell through ages ago I believe. (Though you are right that they were trying out earlier).

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    35
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    No, that plan fell through ages ago I believe. (Though you are right that they were trying out earlier).
    Vanessa and Keifer started a partnership at the end of September and were skating at DSC with Camrlengo. They skated together until December, and were looking really amazing. They would have given G/P more than just a run for their money. They had synched together beautifully and had great charisma together.

    However, Keifer is a much more accomplished skater, nationally and internationally than Piper, and the USFSA was not willing to grant a release for him as they did with her. Nor does he have a Canadian family connection to get him a quick citizenship as Piper does.

    It is really too bad as they truly had great potential. I wish them both good luck, but in particular Vanessa, who is a very talented skater with lovely edges. As the female, though, she will have a much more difficult time finding a suitable partner than Keifer - if she even wants to after all she must have been through in the last 8 months.

    Maybe Keifer can skate with Piper and Vanessa and Paul can get back together.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    698
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    Vanessa and Keifer started a partnership at the end of September and were skating at DSC with Camrlengo. They skated together until December, and were looking really amazing. They would have given G/P more than just a run for their money. They had synched together beautifully and had great charisma together.

    However, Keifer is a much more accomplished skater, nationally and internationally than Piper, and the USFSA was not willing to grant a release for him as they did with her. Nor does he have a Canadian family connection to get him a quick citizenship as Piper does.

    It is really too bad as they truly had great potential. I wish them both good luck, but in particular Vanessa, who is a very talented skater with lovely edges. As the female, though, she will have a much more difficult time finding a suitable partner than Keifer - if she even wants to after all she must have been through in the last 8 months.

    Maybe Keifer can skate with Piper and Vanessa and Paul can get back together.
    and I assume the Canadian Fed won't release Vanessa either? if they were to skate for the US?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    Vanessa and Keifer started a partnership at the end of September and were skating at DSC with Camrlengo. They skated together until December, and were looking really amazing. They would have given G/P more than just a run for their money. They had synched together beautifully and had great charisma together.

    However, Keifer is a much more accomplished skater, nationally and internationally than Piper, and the USFSA was not willing to grant a release for him as they did with her. Nor does he have a Canadian family connection to get him a quick citizenship as Piper does.

    It is really too bad as they truly had great potential. I wish them both good luck, but in particular Vanessa, who is a very talented skater with lovely edges. As the female, though, she will have a much more difficult time finding a suitable partner than Keifer - if she even wants to after all she must have been through in the last 8 months.

    Maybe Keifer can skate with Piper and Vanessa and Paul can get back together.
    Piper and Keifer had already tried out, and it did not work out, because I believe Madison Chock was his first choice. After she turned him down for Evan Bates, Keifer wanted Piper back, but of course, she was with Paul and would not be Keifer's second choice.

    Vanessa and Keifer tried out, but unfortunately the dilemma here was that neither federation would release either of them, and the partnership dissolved because there the Olympics would not have been possible.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    161
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Piper and Keifer had already tried out, and it did not work out, because I believe Madison Chock was his first choice. After she turned him down for Evan Bates, Keifer wanted Piper back, but of course, she was with Paul and would not be Keifer's second choice.

    Vanessa and Keifer tried out, but unfortunately the dilemma here was that neither federation would release either of them, and the partnership dissolved because there the Olympics would not have been possible.


    They did not just ```try out`` . This was a very good, go ahead partnership with full steam ahead training.

    The Olympics is not the be all and end all. The issue is that an athlete has to be released by their federation to even compete internationally. Piper is in Canada, because she thinks she has a good shot at getting to the Olympics, which she would not have had a prayer to do in the USA.

    Vanessa competed at Worlds in 2011, is a National Champion and an Olympic athlete. Not a hope she will be released any time soon. With the skategods in their corner, Vanessa and Keifer might have had a chance to compete in 2014-2015 at the earliest. We all know in Ice Dance that may as well be an eternity.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ugh, that's terribly depressing. I was so intrigued by the rumblings about Vanessa and Keiffer, but the potential release issue made me wonder.

    There's also an odd sort of "wrongness" to me (even as I understand it from the fed's perspective) that dancers and pairs skaters with less success have that greater advantage in creating new partnerships.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    698
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    No, that plan fell through ages ago I believe. (Though you are right that they were trying out earlier).
    They trained together for quite some time, it wasn't just a "try out", and it didn't fall through ages ago.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8,595
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2418
    I always thought that Keiffer would look good with Charlotte Lichtman, but I would never advocate splitting up any team.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage View Post
    They did not just ```try out`` . This was a very good, go ahead partnership with full steam ahead training.

    The Olympics is not the be all and end all. The issue is that an athlete has to be released by their federation to even compete internationally. Piper is in Canada, because she thinks she has a good shot at getting to the Olympics, which she would not have had a prayer to do in the USA.

    Vanessa competed at Worlds in 2011, is a National Champion and an Olympic athlete. Not a hope she will be released any time soon. With the skategods in their corner, Vanessa and Keifer might have had a chance to compete in 2014-2015 at the earliest. We all know in Ice Dance that may as well be an eternity.
    I'm not entirely sure which team you are referring to about me saying "try out", Piper and Keiffer? or Vanessa and Keiffer?

    Because it was simply a try out for Piper and Keiffer, not a partnership. With Vanessa, yes I did say "try out" but i meant it in a different sense (from Piper and Keiffer) that it was a partnership that would have worked had they been able to have the possibility of going to the Olympics for 2014. Unfortunately, this was not going to happen, but YES you are correct that the earliest they could compete internationally IF either one of them were released by their federation, would be in 3 years/seasons hence missing the 2014 Olympics and unfortunately, this was the crucial point that dissolved that temporary/short partnership. (tryout - whatever you want to call it)

    With regards to Piper, certainly with Paul, and competing in Canada, the chances of going to the Olympics are certainly higher, but that is only part of the reason, there are many other reasons (they work well together, coaches knew Piper from before, able to be released and compete internationally after one year, and again as I mentioned above, she was not going to be Keiffer's second choice, Chock being his first - btw, I really hope I'm not mixing up Emily Samuelson and Madison Chock, I'm pretty sure it was Madison, but it has been a few months so my memory has faded a bit). There are also probably more reasons I don't know about, but those are the ones I do know, but yes, being able to compete internationally after only 1 year is something Piper and Paul is able to do, but not Vanessa and Keiffer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukari Lepisto View Post
    They trained together for quite some time, it wasn't just a "try out", and it didn't fall through ages ago.
    Ok, ok, I was exaggerating a little when I said ages ago because it has been only a couple months since the partnership dissolved (as far as I've heard, I know Vanessa was by herself back in Canada by November, I didn't know she was still with Keiffer in Dec. is the poster above who posted sure of that?). As I just mentioned above, I said "try out" because the partnership hinged on whether or not it was even possible for them to compete at the 2014 Olympics, and not only that, but also the 3 years they must wait to even compete internationally...

  14. #14
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    Nor does he have a Canadian family connection to get him a quick citizenship as Piper does.
    The citizenship rules are quite clear, and based on being a permanent resident and having three out of four years of residency in Canada, or getting an exception granted at high levels of government, like Kaitlyn Weaver did.

    Hubbell would qualify for permanent residency just as easily as Gllles without any family connection whatsoever, because through his "participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics" he would be considered a self-employed person who has "relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    315
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just curious, how did Kaitlyn end up getting an exception granted? (I'm glad she did!)

  16. #16
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper88 View Post
    Just curious, how did Kaitlyn end up getting an exception granted? (I'm glad she did!)
    I don't know what the process is, i.e., whether she applied for it or was nominated, but it took a decision by the federal cabinet to issue a special grant of citizenship:

    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...009-06-22a.asp

    (This announcement was made by Immigration Canada and posted to its website.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    35
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The citizenship rules are quite clear, and based on being a permanent resident and having three out of four years of residency in Canada, or getting an exception granted at high levels of government, like Kaitlyn Weaver did.

    Hubbell would qualify for permanent residency just as easily as Gllles without any family connection whatsoever, because through his "participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics" he would be considered a self-employed person who has "relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada."

    Yes, receiving permanent residency would apply to both of them but an expedited citizenship is not so easy. From G/P, because she has family with Canadian citizenship, she can receive/be grandfathered to Canadian citizen on an accelerated timeline.

  18. #18
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    Yes, receiving permanent residency would apply to both of them but an expedited citizenship is not so easy. From G/P, because she has family with Canadian citizenship, she can receive/be grandfathered to Canadian citizen on an accelerated timeline.
    As a child born outside Canada, if Gilles has at least one Canadian parent, including those parents born outside Canada and lost/couldn't get (because of holding another citizenship that prevented it) Canadian citizenship between 1947 and 1977, she would automatically be a citizen, She would need only to file before age 28 that plans to keep Canadian citizenship and apply for proof of citizenship in order to get a passport; there's no expedited citizenship process.

    The CIC site says nothing about expedited citizenship for people born outside Canada before 17 April 2009 and who have family members who are Canadian citizens, while it has extensive information for those who wish to sponsor family members for permanent residency. It's also interesting that for the years that I have been a part of forums for families immigrating to Canada, that there was never a single mention of any expedited process for citizenship, apart from provisions of a new law that applied to children born after 17 April 2009, and that question is asked rather frequently.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,875
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5845
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    As a child born outside Canada, if Gilles has at least one Canadian parent, including those parents born outside Canada and lost/couldn't get (because of holding another citizenship that prevented it) Canadian citizenship between 1947 and 1977, she would automatically be a citizen, She would need only to file before age 28 that plans to keep Canadian citizenship and apply for proof of citizenship in order to get a passport; there's no expedited citizenship process.
    Kind of funny that a thread about Vanessa Crone turns into a discussion about Piper's citizenship, but I believe one of the articles that came out of the Canadian challenge discussion indicated that it's one of Piper's maternal grandparents who is Canadian, and that her mom was going through the process of getting her citizenship, because doing so would somehow make Piper's citizenship faster/easier. I can't speak to whether any of that is true, but I can't see why Piper's mom would be dealing with citizenship now if it wasn't some benefit.

  20. #20
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    The rules are tricky due to the 2009 law, which tries to prevent Canadian citizenship for those who live outside Canada for multiple generations, but if Gilles' mother qualifies for Canadian citizenship through her mother, including her Gilles' mother and/or grandmother having it reinstated automatically by the 2009 or earlier law/ruling, then Gilles, having been born before 17 April 2009, would automatically become a Canadian citizen. Gilles wouldn't have to apply for citizenship, but would need to apply for proof of citizenship to get a passport. If her mother doesn't qualify, then Gilles has to go through the PR route, which Hubbell would have had to do, as would any non-Canadian with whom Crone would team up.

    I was wrong about Gilles having to file before age 28: I misread a qualification that doesn't apply to her, but may apply to her mother.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 01-09-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •