Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Michelle's spirals were awesome in so many ways ... it was really her trademark move! Thanks to iarispiralllyof who posted all those vids above!

I also love the positioning and execution of Carolina's spiral in last year's program. It really gave me goosbumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...nUBUf2c#t=207s

vCash
    Mao Asada spiral are gourges, not only because of her great flexibility but her potioning and balance in unbelievable... she actually has the only spiral of the current ladies I always look forward to see, I really loved it when she attempted three different kind of spiral, cause they always looked beautiful and effortlessly done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzWRyREFlnU

vCash
    Bobek had the most breathtaking positions, with deep lean. Cohen hiked her leg higher but she was always rather slow, with relatively-small ice coverage (which I could notice when I saw her 'live' in an arena...not so on TV). I also remember when Cohen nearly hit the board in front of the judges, as she tried to control a shakey change-of-edge-spiral at Moscow Worlds.

Among current skaters, Mao Asada's spirals impress me the most - position, lean, relative speed. Breathtaking! Lipnitskaya's spirals remind me of Cohen's - high leg-hike but super slow, with poor ice coverage.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 01-06-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Jenni Vähämaa had an incredible spiral sequence. Her flexibility was superb, her speed and edges were good as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ndPU...eature=related at 2:21.

vCash
    Nancy Kerrigan
    Michelle Kwan
    Carolina Kostner (Mao Asada also for the line)

Those are my favorites because of the deep edge and control.

vCash
    I like how Michelle exits her Charlotte spiral here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrFlbL0riDE (starting at 3:51)

And the best spirals within one single performance, and funnily enough, without her trademark COE spiral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BowYHwD9Ano (absolutely love the back outside to forward inside spiral at 2:02 and the forward outside spiral that she does in a full circle at 3:11.

vCash
    Not the greatest position by today's standards, but iconic at the time, inspiring much of the development that followed, and used to good choreographic effect here

Nothing special in the positions, but creative approach to the required element

Phenomenal ice coverage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    i love how you put the links at where the referenced element is shown. i've noticed other posters do that too. how do you do that?
    Or just "share" then "options" then "start at ..."

vCash
    I personally really liked Shizuka Arakawa's spiral at the 2006 Olympics. The pattern she made with her spirals were absolutely gigantic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Bobek because she set the modern standard.
    Although Katherine Healy was performing fully extended spirals when Bobek was still in diapers.

vCash
    Please tell me that Nicole Bobek was not still in diapers in 1990.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    LOL
    Nicole Bobek in 1990 : http://youtu.be/vYTcgbmksvs?t=14s
    So funny to imagine her in diapers !!!!

vCash
    Nicole Bobek (position)

Michelle Kwan (edge)

Sasha Cohen (flexibility)

Dorothy Hamill (simple, perfect position)
    Last edited by Vash01; 01-06-2012 at 07:58 PM.

vCash
    Yuna may not be the best for line perse, but when it comes to pure speed, effortless edge change and ice coverage, she's one of the best ones.
    2007-2008 free skate - Miss Saigon Just look at her skirt ruffling like crazy!
    With just one push, she skids across from one end to another end of the rink. In the following clip, Yuna almost hit the board but she avoided that controlling her speed, even gaining more of it.
    2008-2009 short program - Danse Macabre
    Last edited by l'etoile; 01-06-2012 at 08:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Irina's coverage was good, but it's not like she held the position across the ice. I'm more impressed when the position is sustained as it moves across the ice without having to drop the position, stroke a few times and then do the position again...

I agree with the majority: Kwan reigns supreme in the spiral. The power she had with that move is amazing! The strength of the edge, how effortlessly she's able to go from a deep inside edge to an outside edge, the steadiness of the free leg (no wobbling), the extension and back position, the speed, the ice coverage and the way she used it in her programs...simply incredible. It is her signature move and is really the iconic move in figure skating.

Sasha's was wonderful as well. The 180 degree split and toe point was gorgeous; however, she never really got the hang of the COE spiral--she often had to put her foot down to change her edge or would wobble quite a bit. She usually executed the move on the flat of the blade but it was still lovely. In terms of other spirals, Sasha's fan spiral to skid move is a favorite of mine.

Mao has a number of lovely spirals. I think she has one of the best fan spirals in the world: the extension is gorgeous and the lean on the edge is amazing. Her classic position is lovely, though she tends to drop her back a little too much at times.

Mirai's spiral has lovely lines and wonderful extension, though it's not as fast or powerful.

Yu-Na has great speed and coverage on her spiral but her position (turnout and hip position) is pretty mediocre...

Caroline Zhang had very lovely spiral positions (classic, catchfoot, Charlotte). Her speed and depth of edge wasn't all that great, but she had good control in her COE. Plus that backwards extension move was awesome!

Sarah Hughes had a nice spiral in terms of extension. Emily Hughes had good extension but I never liked her spiral b/c her forehead was six inches from the ice. Okay, I'm exaggerating but she dropped her back way too far down...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Figure of speech. No, not in 1990. But Katherine was performing as a pro skater as early as 1980 when she was 11 years old. Her early spirals were more like Bobek's - as she got older, the split got better. Nicole may not have still been in diapers, but she was wee.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    My favorite urban myth in skating is still alive I see: Cohen's spiral on a flat. How could she travel in a curve as I've seen her do, if she wasn't on an edge, I wonder. Magic!

Her OE was excellent but her IE was not as deep as Kwan's.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Irina's coverage was good, but it's not like she held the position across the ice. I'm more impressed when the position is sustained as it moves across the ice without having to drop the position, stroke a few times and then do the position again...
    Huh? Got an example of more ice coverage with fewer strokes over three positions?

Look especially at the second two spiral positions, which did not have any strokes between them, just a three turn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    My favorite urban myth in skating is still alive I see: Cohen's spiral on a flat. How could she travel in a curve as I've seen her do, if she wasn't on an edge, I wonder. Magic!
    If you look at the clip I posted you can see that she travels at an angle, but essentially straight across the ice, on the flat of her blade, until she leans to a slight outside edge. That's how most of her spirals were when she started.

Later, she'd do an outside edge spiral, change direction, and then do an inside edge spiralbut (as I said) never quite got the hang COE portion of it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've seen her COE live, and yes, she had the hang of it. The judges thought so too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suyKb...9A442821C4A629
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 01-06-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast