Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Coverage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    True. I was just thinking about ABC dreaming up new gimmicks to which they could attach a sponsor's name AND making darn sure not to simply call it "the stro-mo" without "presented by Chevy" tacked on....
    "This Campbell's Soup 'Standing-by-the-Boards' moment is brought to you by...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post

vCash
    I liked Stromotion too... thought it was a useful tool for breaking down the success or failure of a jump. I seem to recall seeing Stromotion (minus the Chevy sponsoring!) in at least one GP event during the 2010-11 season, but can't remember which one.

Curt Gowdy Jr. is the one responsible for bringing both the SkyCam and Stro-motion to ABC/ESPN coverage... he was their coordinating producer for nearly 20 years before getting SportsNet New York off the ground. When I interviewed him for the book, he described his motivation for SkyCam as "trying to give the TV audience another sense of being there."

Whether or not it worked, well... ;-)

vCash
    I also subscribe to the Fred Astaire rule of filming dancing (skating) - Hands and feet in every shot. On the other hand it's often how the director uses the cameras that makes the shots bad or good. Here's an example from this year.

Takahashi free program NHK - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUTV0Vn_xuI

Takahashi free program GPF - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNQnevifJKQ

Takahashi's performance at Grand Prix Finals was actually better than at NHK (both were good). However, the NHK performance has more visual impact because the director did his homework and used his cameras more effectively. There are 2 or 3 key moments that just got missed at Grand Prix Finals.

vCash
    The "great director" you mentioned was Doug Wilson, who was honored by U.S. Figure Skating for his masterful coverage of figure skating.

He and Curt Gowdy Jr. defined skating coverage as it exists today -- more good than bad.

vCash
    I particulary hate those close ups of the orchestra which only show the skater in far away shots. Or the ones which frame the shot of the skater through the harp, for example. so artistic! Music is to listen to, not to watch!

vCash
    I just watched the Junior Grand Prix Final on Ice Network. The camerawork was driving me crazy. Just as a skater was going into a spin the camera would zoom in for a closeup of their shoulders.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think it's a good idea to always ensure the screen shows the skater's whole body. I hate zooming in during spins or footwork. And I HATE HATE HATE aerial view (as in shots from directly above your head). And I also hate mics udner the ice.
    The first time I heard this, I wrote to ABC/ESPN telling them that Mao Asada should NOT sound like a rollerblading elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    How can any of us in the US ever forget -- drumroll, please! -- the "Smuckers Sky-Cam" that was so misused by ABC at the first Nationals where it was employed. It would hover over, then zoom down the rink, sometimes CIRCLING AROUND a skater during a long footwork segment, as they did with BeBe Liang's SP!
    It was dubbed “vomit-cam” here.

Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Eurosport cameras zooming in on shadows during spotlighted exhibition numbers = .
    How artsy-fartsy!

Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I also subscribe to the Fred Astaire rule of filming dancing (skating) - Hands and feet in every shot.
    You and me both. Fred and Hermes Pan had it right.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

94.500.000 kílómetrar frá sólinni (og enn frekar frá stjarnfræðilegur læsi).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    The first time I heard this, I wrote to ABC/ESPN telling them that Mao Asada should NOT sound like a rollerblading elephant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And I HATE HATE HATE aerial view (as in shots from directly above your head). And I also hate mics udner the ice.\
    I was at Skate America in Hartford where Mao skated a BRILLIANT sp to Chopin and although she hit a 3flip/3loop, I was even more impressed with how light on her feet she was and how soft her blades were. Imagine later when I watched the same program on TV and heard "SCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" the whole time.

vCash
    I always thought this camera at the Goodwill Games in 1998 was interesting. It worked well some of the time, but the downside was it only moves laterally...and it was only on one side of the rink...and the skater sometimes got away from it...yeah, come to think of it, it kinda sucked too.

I know they use one like it in some of the exhibition shows as well. But the overhead camera definitely aggravates me, especially when they show it during spins. You can't get a sense of what a spin looks like from a top-down view!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    LOL! Or the Truth Booth; we have to find a sponsor for it.

"Truth Booth presented by the American Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals."
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Those of you who hate the overhead shot (myself included) will no doubt be thrilled to know they're installing an overhead camera especially for worlds in Nice

I read this in IFS a couple of issues back. I couldn't believe the person who wrote the article reported this fact as if it was a special and good thing
    I remember sitting right next to and in back of the ESPN team that was returning to NY after the 2005 Portland Nationals. ESPN had used the overhead cam for the first time that year and they were congratulating each other about it. I restrained myself from telling them that the overhead perspective absolutely sucked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maggylyn View Post
    Would it be possible for ISU to make this part of the TV contracts, to insist on a director who will do things a certain way?

It really is horrible when the camera is all over the place, and zooming in an out, instead of staying on the skater - full body.

Can we sign a petition for them to hire you?
    I'd be more then happy and honored to do this since I am a field producer and director in TeeVee

vCash
    Last edited by ItalianFan; 01-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Takahashi's performance at Grand Prix Finals was actually better than at NHK (both were good). However, the NHK performance has more visual impact because the director did his homework and used his cameras more effectively. There are 2 or 3 key moments that just got missed at Grand Prix Finals.
    Yes, the video direction this season at NHK was excellent. It really does enhance the presentation and enjoyment of the performances.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    I remember sitting right next to and in back of the ESPN team that was returning to NY after the 2005 Portland Nationals. ESPN had used the overhead cam for the first time that year and they were congratulating each other about it. I restrained myself from telling them that the overhead perspective absolutely sucked.
    Restrained yourself? Whatever for?
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    The camera angle that puzzled me was one of Brian Joubert's Grand Prix programs last season. Brian was doing a footwork sequence and the camera zoomed in on his crotch for a full 2 or 3 minutes. I thought the camera operator must've taken a coffee break. I can only assume the cameraman was aiming for the knees and missed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    The camera angle that puzzled me was one of Brian Joubert's Grand Prix programs last season. Brian was doing a footwork sequence and the camera zoomed in on his crotch for a full 2 or 3 minutes. I thought the camera operator must've taken a coffee break. I can only assume the cameraman was aiming for the knees and missed.
    That's not the assumption I made...

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    I hate that when the ice dancers or pairs separate, they only have one skater in the frame.
    But it's worse when they separate and the camera can't keep both in shot, and all you can see is blank ice and leg or an arm on each side of frame. I blame the director for not changing shot in those cases, but as a fall back I'd prefer one skater to none!
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast