Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Coverage

vCash

Camera Coverage

I'm starting this, because I've become increasingly irritated by the camera angles used in coverage. In particular, it is the return of the overhead camera to show a spin! Who thought of that? This was done many years ago, but was abandoned.
    I also hate when the camera focuses away from the action. A skater may be doing incredible footwork, but the camera is focused on a face close-up.

ok...rant over.

vCash
    One of my favorite shots is when the camera does an extreme close up of the feet, just after the music starts and when the skater is clearly doing something with their upper body.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Hi... thought I'd respond on this one since the book I recently released deals with this subject a bit :-)

One of the reasons we're noticing more irritating angles (I hate the overhead shot as much as you do) is because what we see for GP coverage is, for the most part, out of the hands of NBC/Universal or even IceNetwork. Each host country takes control of their own coverage on what is known as the World Feed... so Japan has their own style, China has theirs, and so on. Back when ABC had the GP rights in the late 90s, I believe they were setting up their own cameras to cover some or all of the shots-- after all, the network had been covering skating non-stop since 1964 and kind of knew what worked and what didn't! But even when NBC puts a GP event on the air nowadays, they're simply streaming the feed and having Carruthers & Gannon et al react to it here at home (the notable exception being Skate America of course).

And the decisions to use close-ups vs. feet shots, etc. are pretty much up to whoever's directing-- that goes for the US coverage too. There are two pretty distinct schools of thought on how to direct skating... those that do camera blocking (plan their shots in advance based on what they see in practices), and those that prefer to direct "on the fly" and go with their gut and their experience. Likewise, some prefer to stay almost entirely on body shots, while others feel it's important to capture an emotional moment close-up from time to time.

Hope that helps... even though the bad cut-aways and dizzying angles persist!

(BTW, the book I wrote is called "Skating on Air: The Broadcast History of an Olympic Marquee Sport" if anyone's interested)

vCash
    I think it's a good idea to always ensure the screen shows the skater's whole body. I hate zooming in during spins or footwork. And I HATE HATE HATE aerial view (as in shots from directly above your head). And I also hate mics udner the ice.

Sometimes I like watching fan cam videos of competitions on youtube because it usually gives more perspective of speed and ice coverage.

vCash
    the continuity sucks! The cameras aren't sync in white balance or anything else in that matter. The director and producers should assure this. There is no blocking from practices.
    I think back in the day when ESPN/ABC Sports did skating, they had a great director and during the skating practices, they also blocked and practiced the shots.
    I hate that when the ice dancers or pairs separate, they only have one skater in the frame. I'm not sure if they are using less camera and they have one camera that does close ups, one that follows the skater (s) and another to do wide shots. A big maybe on 1 more on lock down.
    I wish ISU would hire one good director who knows skating to do all international events! It would solve a lot of problems.
    I would be happy to do this for them!

vCash
    lol the cameraman always zoomed in on michelle's face during her spirals
    ugh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    ugh
    I always groaned when that happened. That was one of the dumbest things they could have done, and they did it all the time. Yes, we love her pearly whites, but for the love of god show us that beautiful extension and buttery edge change, please!

Kostner Softie
    vCash

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Those of you who hate the overhead shot (myself included) will no doubt be thrilled to know they're installing an overhead camera especially for worlds in Nice

I read this in IFS a couple of issues back. I couldn't believe the person who wrote the article reported this fact as if it was a special and good thing
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    That's hilarious!

I really dislike overhead shots as well. Just show us the whole body straight on! Go crazy with the close ups in slo-mo, if you absolutely must, but show me the whole body.

vCash
    The overhead cam on spins drives me crazy! I also can't stand when they show only the feet during a spin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    I wish ISU would hire one good director who knows skating to do all international events! It would solve a lot of problems.
    I would be happy to do this for them!
    Would it be possible for ISU to make this part of the TV contracts, to insist on a director who will do things a certain way?

It really is horrible when the camera is all over the place, and zooming in an out, instead of staying on the skater - full body.

Can we sign a petition for them to hire you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    ugh
    But how else would we've known that Michelle wore hers "emotion on her sleeves" if it wasn't for the close-up ? The camera did the face close-up of Sasha's spiral also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    But how else would we've known that Michelle wore hers "emotion on her sleeves" if it wasn't for the close-up ? The camera did the face close-up of Sasha's spiral also.

At least the closeups weren't on her sleeves, then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    At least the closeups weren't on her sleeves, then.
    Only because so many of her outfits were sleeveless.

vCash
    LOL, you guys have been watching too many Dick and Peggy's interactions. Dick made the comment about Michelle wearing her heart on her sleeve (at 05 Nationals, I think). Peggy immediately chimed in something like, "She isn't wearing sleeves."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8fun View Post
    The overhead cam on spins drives me crazy! ....
    How can any of us in the US ever forget -- drumroll, please! -- the "Smuckers Sky-Cam" that was so misused by ABC at the first Nationals where it was employed. It would hover over, then zoom down the rink, sometimes CIRCLING AROUND a skater during a long footwork segment, as they did with BeBe Liang's SP!

Another ABC gimmick was the "Stro-Motion Jump Photography, Presented by Chevy." Emphasis on the "Presented by Chevy."
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Another ABC gimmick was the "Stro-Motion Jump Photography, Presented by Chevy." Emphasis on the "Presented by Chevy."
    Oh I actually enjoyed watching the stro-motion jump photography thing. It aired after the performance so it didn't distract, and I liked analyzing a skater's jump technique.

vCash
    Eurosport cameras zooming in on shadows during spotlighted exhibition numbers = .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Oh I actually enjoyed watching the stro-motion jump photography thing. It aired after the performance so it didn't distract, and I liked analyzing a skater's jump technique.
    True. I was just thinking about ABC dreaming up new gimmicks to which they could attach a sponsor's name AND making darn sure not to simply call it "the stro-mo" without "presented by Chevy" tacked on....
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast