Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I wonder if MAC was going to partner with Sasha but then switched to Rachael when Sasha didn't make the 2010 Olympic team? Rachael is a cute girl, but Sasha seeed like the most logical choice with her gorgeous, porcelain doll-like face.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    No, MAC Cosmetics partnered with Rachael before 2009 Nationals -- here was the original press release: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ^^^I found that article about the partnership but where are its fruits?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No, MAC Cosmetics partnered with Rachael before 2009 Nationals -- here was the original press release: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease
    Oh okay, thank you. Very odd timing, since she didn't have a senior National title yet. I guess she was coming off her Junior Worlds win the prior season, but still.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Oh okay, thank you. Very odd timing, since she didn't have a senior National title yet. I guess she was coming off her Junior Worlds win the prior season, but still.
    Lots of companies will try to snag the perceived up-and-comer in high-profile sports in advance of the Olympics. If would-be sponsors can sign a deal with a future star before they actually become a star, the deal usually ends up being cheaper than if they wait until that athlete wins the OGM. It's a gamble. My guess is MAC was looking to be part of figure skating heading toward the Olys and saw Rachael as the one with the best odds.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Rachael getting Mac Cosmetics and the Colorado Potato Association.
    Only one of those suits Rachael, IMO.... and it ain't MAC....

vCash
    what you have to consider about these endorsements is how much they're actually worth. the brand name may sound impressive (whether mac or pepsi) but the amount might be pocket change compared to major endorsements from stars in other sports

I remember at her peak michelle got millions of dollars in endorsements but sometimes a deal can be as little as a few thousand dollars, even if it's from a huge international brand. figure skaters in general don't get much

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Only one of those suits Rachael, IMO.... and it ain't MAC....

the joke wrote itself pretty much.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 01-05-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    SashaCohenNYC Sasha Cohen
    Just found out I got an A in Econ... YAY!
    Good job!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    As to MAC and Rachael, however, I found press releases announcing the partnership but couldn't find any actual ads.
    I remember Rachael talking about her MAC partnership, and she mentioned that people from MAC did her makeup for shows and competitions, but she didn't say anything about appearing in ads.

Thanks for posting Sasha's twitter, Mkats. I always liked her, on and off the ice, and it's interesting to see what she's been up to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Thanks for posting Sasha's twitter, Mkats. I always liked her, on and off the ice, and it's interesting to see what she's been up to.
    Isn't it? I was surprised to find it since she's always seemed a very private person. It's great to see her all settled into school and moved on from competitive skating.

Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I was on a forum mostly populated by 13 year olds shouting "SASHA IS THE BEST LOLHAHA" and one crazy woman screaming about Michelle's evil influence on skating.

It was a dark time in my life.
    I'm so glad I wasn't the only one. It was a very conflicted time in my life as I had grown up as a HUGE Michelle Kwan fan, but dangit that Sasha just had me captivated. It seemed like while everyone else was having legit "who am I?" drama in their teenage years, most of mine consisted of "am I a Kwaniac or a Cohenhead?"

I'm so glad I can finally admit that.

vCash
    I kind of figured Rachael's agent (Tara ?) at the time sought out the MAC deal for her. And that once Rachael changed agents, Tara secured the MAC deal for Johnny. Just speculation though. I don't think it's a coincidence that both skaters with MAC deals had the same agent for awhile.

vCash
    There is something I never figured out about that deal. Was there any money involved?

I find it hard to believe the only outcome of that arrangement was that they sent somebody over to do Rachael's makeup.

vCash
    Hauling up this thread to share this gorgeous picture of Sasha as a Geisha!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    She looks great!

There's another picture of her on the ice, literally: http://twitter.com/#!/SashaCohenNYC/.../photo/1/large

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    ^^ Why did no one suggest that?!? Shoot, I know why. I was on a forum mostly populated by 13 year olds shouting "SASHA IS THE BEST LOLHAHA" and one crazy woman screaming about Michelle's evil influence on skating.

It was a dark time in my life.
    I LOL'd. Loveskating. One of my favorite online personalities.

vCash
    She looks great!

There's another picture of her on the ice, literally: http://twitter.com/#!/SashaCohenNYC/.../photo/1/large
    She looks great. she has such an "old Hollywood glam" look to me, or can have that type of look if she goes for it.

vCash
    Oh I remember this. I thought it was very appropriate for us, SashaFans, as we were all developing peptic ulcers watching her compete.
    Sasha was such a beautiful, artistic skater who--without question--was the most difficult to watch. There was never the question of if she was going to fall, but when she was going to fall. I don't think I've ever seen a Sasha performance where she skated with abandon. From the moment she took the ice, there was always that edge of tension and doubt in her eyes that made her fans nervous wrecks!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Her SP were frequently skated with abandon, like the 2006 Olympic SP. LP? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    She looks great. she has such an "old Hollywood glam" look to me, or can have that type of look if she goes for it.
    That's exactly what I thought--Old Hollywood. Nice to see her looking so healthy and happy.

from Speedy Death

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12