Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Sasha Cohen's Endorsements

Looking back at Sasha Cohen's career, it seems like her list of endorsements is almost pitifully short: off the top of my head I can think of Citizen Watch, American Beef Association (both very early on in her career), some nasal spray, and... not much else. Sure, for a good part of her career she was skating in Kwan's shadow, but by 2006 she was the clear US frontrunner for gold, she was absolutely gorgeous, and she had the hardware and results to back up her skating. Was her PR team/agent just that bad that they couldn't sell the hell out of that in THE marquee event of the winter Olympics??

I'm thinking of today's (much weaker) skaters and I can recall Mirai getting Panasonic, Rachael getting Mac Cosmetics and the Colorado Potato Association. Neither has anywhere near the results/fame of Cohen but she doesn't seem to have fared any better

By the way, you can follow Sasha on twitter now. She seems happy and settled into NYC

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, it was interesting reading her twitter feed.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    She also did the "Got Milk?" campaign as well (Michelle had that one too...I think they were the only two skaters).

In the 1990s and early 2000s skating was very marketable and being that Michelle was such a likable, reliable (a guaranteed podium finisher!), and successful skater, she raked in the endorsements. She ended up with endorsements for Disney, Coca-Cola, VISA, ESPN, Riedell, Maxxis, Chevrolet, East West Bank and many other big name companies and organizations.

By the time Michelle made her exit, skating was on a decline in terms of popularity and until the US has a marketable champion, I doubt if it will reach even a quarter of the level of popularity it did back in the 90s. Michelle was a star...the US doesn't have a star and hasn't had one since Michelle left...thus the companies don't have much incentive to offer deals to a will she/won't she skater who isn't reliably marketable.

vCash
    Kristi did the "got milk?" add too (first?)

anywho, the question posed is not why doesn't Sasha have as many mk, but why doesn't she have more than rachael/mirai etc... Which i find surprising. It certainly seemed like she had more, but I don't really pay that much attention to that sort of thing.

vCash
    ^^Right you are! Kristi must have been the first. I gotta say though, I'm not a fan of that position! Yeah, Michelle's was the prettiest! I love that Vera Wang dress and Michelle looks just lovely.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I looked to see whom Sasha is following on Twitter and have to say that Apolo Ono's feed is the most boring ever.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    November 2009 press release: http://www.teamusa.org/news/2009/11/...ancouver/29128
    Pepto-Bismol is also partnering with Olympic silver medalist Sasha Cohen as she returns to the ice with the hopes of joining Team USA in Vancouver.

"I've got so much going on everyday with managing my hectic practice and competition schedule as I prepare to qualify for Vancouver, so when stomach problems hit, I need a product that I know is going to work," Cohen said. "The cooling sensation of this new Pepto-Bismol lets me know relief is on the way so I can get back to my busy schedule."

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh I remember this. I thought it was very appropriate for us, SashaFans, as we were all developing peptic ulcers watching her compete.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Oh I remember this. I thought it was very appropriate for us, SashaFans, as we were all developing peptic ulcers watching her compete.
    My first reaction reading Sylvia's post was to wonder whether it was real or a joke (not that Sylvia would do that, of course ). I don't remember it's original appearance, but I was recovering from broken leg surgery then, so I'm sure there's a lot I missed, lol.

vCash
    Didn't Mirai and Rachael get their deals (MAC, Panasonic) right around the Vancouver Olys, when they were bigger news as the US team?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    With Sasha, could you tell that she was going to land a jump successfully by the time she was taking off? Or did you have to wait till she was in midair to feel confident that she was going to make it? Or was it an agonizing moment of eternity that lasted all the way up until the landing?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    With Sasha, could you tell that she was going to land a jump successfully by the time she was taking off? Or did you have to wait till she was in midair to feel confident that she was going to make it? Or was it an agonizing moment of eternity that lasted all the way up until the landing?
    Actually, by the end of her career I usually knew how the program would go just from her facial expression at the starting pose. But one always hung onto a shred of hope in the LP.

I didn't trust her take off and midair positions as indicators because sometimes she'd pull off a crazy save, especially with the 2 axel.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    You mean the makers of Tinactin haven't approached her?

vCash
    This.

The weird thing was a lot of the time Sasha appeared to have a good take off, be good in the air, only to have her blade slip from under her at the last second.

vCash
    I never understood why Sasha wasn't endorsing makeup! Her face is gorgeous and her skin is flawless!

vCash
    I think I was too busy clutching my stomach and mainlining pepto bismol during her 2006 LP to notice.

ITA with IceAlisa concerning her facial expression. The SP one was "AW yiss, I'm burnin' this house down" while the LP one usually was "My mother told me to stay away from this part of the woods OH GOD!!!"

And as far as Sasha's lack of endorsements...let's see, she had a history of inconsistency, she is beautiful but not personable, and she's never had the same charisma Michelle has. And I am a fan of Sasha's skating. Rachel and Mirai seem more fun and relatable than Sasha ever did while on the competitive scene.
    Last edited by Scintillation; 01-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I think I was too busy clutching my stomach and mainlining pepto bismol during her 2006 LP to notice.

ITA with IceAlisa concerning her facial expression. The SP one was "AW yiss, I'm burnin' this house down" while the LP one usually was "My mother told me to stay away from this part of the woods OH GOD!!!"

God knows we needed Pepto for sure watching her skate... Wonder why I never thought of just taking a Valium.

vCash
    ^^ Why did no one suggest that?!? Shoot, I know why. I was on a forum mostly populated by 13 year olds shouting "SASHA IS THE BEST LOLHAHA" and one crazy woman screaming about Michelle's evil influence on skating.

It was a dark time in my life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Sure, for a good part of her career she was skating in Kwan's shadow, but by 2006 she was the clear US frontrunner for gold, she was absolutely gorgeous, and she had the hardware and results to back up her skating.
    I would say Sasha was in MK's shadow virtually her entire career. Even at the 2006 Olympics, MK made the team and only pulled out a few days before the SP started, at which point Emily Hughes diverted a fair amount of attention as the brilliant media pondered whether Emily might follow in her big sister's footsteps and win OGM ().

Also, Sasha never really had the hardware that sponsors want. No National title until the very end of her career, and no ISU championships whatsoever (unless you want to count GPF). Look at Kimmie: short career; not nearly as artistic as Sasha, yet she won a Worlds and ended up starring in a nationwide Subway commercial as "World Champion Kimmie Meissner."

I don't mean to be mean; I liked Sasha a lot back in the day, but looking at it objectively I can see why she didn't end up getting as many endorsements as perhaps she should have.

That said, didn't Sasha do some TV acting and get magazine spreads? I assume she got paid for those things.

I'm thinking of today's (much weaker) skaters and I can recall Mirai getting Panasonic, Rachael getting Mac Cosmetics and the Colorado Potato Association. Neither has anywhere near the results/fame of Cohen but she doesn't seem to have fared any better
    Well, Panasonic is a Japanese company, so I think Mirai being Japanese-American may have helped her there (along with being totally adorable). I assume Rachael got the CPA due to the Colorado connection; don't know how Mac Cosmetics came about.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Definitely get why Mirai got Panasonic and why Rachael got CPA.

As to MAC and Rachael, however, I found press releases announcing the partnership but couldn't find any actual ads.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 01-04-2012 at 06:26 PM.

from Speedy Death

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast