Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 354
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,555
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    Go Rachael!

    ETA: In the general US Ladies thread in the Trash Can (where I also posted this espnW.com article last week), I noted that the shows she was scheduled to do were 3 consecutive days in Vail, Colorado right before Christmas (with Patrick Chan, among others) and, IMO, I don't think they would have impacted her training for Nationals too much.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-02-2012 at 02:44 PM.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Those of us who have lived and worked in California "cringed" when she laid out this multi rink, touring plan for her training. I think we may have been right. She and her family looked at a "map" and said "oh this won't be bad" But.... it's a nightmare. Sounds to me like she's spending as much time in the car as at training!

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In my eatin' dress
    Posts
    908
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Shows can help. She could use them as a mock competition and, for example, do her SP at them and see how she fares. It's an environment you can't really get in practice.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,978
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Does anyone really know why she picked three rinks to train at?

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,482
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Does anyone really know why she picked three rinks to train at?
    Her principal coaches are Justin Dillon and Lynn Smith, but due to other commitments, they aren't available every day. As a result, she also trains with other coaches, including former U.S. Men's Champion Charles Tickner. The various coaches are at three rinks, in San Jose, Redwood City, and Oakland.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Those of us who have lived and worked in California "cringed" when she laid out this multi rink, touring plan for her training. I think we may have been right. She and her family looked at a "map" and said "oh this won't be bad" But.... it's a nightmare. Sounds to me like she's spending as much time in the car as at training!
    Hardly.

    Dillon and Smith are based in San Jose. Unless Flatt is driving in the height of rush hour traffic (which I doubt), that's about half an hour away from campus. Redwood City is about fifteen minutes away. Oakland is farther, but how often does she actually go there?

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3933
    When there's a 45 foot billboard of the you as the hometown girl, I think that's quite a bit of pressure to give the audience a good performance. I wish her luck. I doubt she'll get sent to Worlds unless she's clearly at least 2nd best, she's no longer USFS's 'reliable Rachael'. I suspect that's why she specifically said she'd be working on artistry with Tom Z., so the emphasis might be more on a audience pleasing performance as opposed to one that will get her to Worlds, which is a longshot.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

    Dillon and Smith are based in San Jose. Unless Flatt is driving in the height of rush hour traffic (which I doubt), that's about half an hour away from campus. Redwood City is about fifteen minutes away. Oakland is farther, but how often does she actually go there?

    Well... she's the one who keeps bringing up that Oakland route.... plus I do think she may have been driving at the "height" of rush hour. It appears she was leaving the dorm VERY early, skating for a few hours...so let's say she skated from 6 to 8... RUSH HOUR LOL!

    I drove around there a LOT for a year or so and your times are "nice" IMHO but not at all what I experienced.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,482
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I take it you've never read what her actual training schedule is and that you have never driven on 280 between Page Mill Rd. and downtown San Jose.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I take it you've never read what her actual training schedule is and that you have never driven on 280 between Page Mill Rd. and downtown San Jose.
    1. Not really. I don't really care what time she trains. I just go by what she tells the reporters.. (leave before breakfast, 2 hour commutes)
    2. Yep been there sat in traffic.... SORRY! I drove 280 at all times of the day commuting between several hospitals and quite often it was just stopped.

    One of the reasons I turned down a job in San Jose..... and another job in Southern CA....

    Traffic (and I live in Atlanta, not exactly known for trouble free roads)

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Flatt has already been to Olys and been on several World teams. Perhaps she is a) being realistic about her situation and does not expect to win or get on the World team in her present condition, b) setting outside expectations low while she prepares a serious comeback behind the scenes.

    I think she has peaked as a competitor. Even when she wasn't in school, her skills and consistency were on the decline. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it as a skatefan) she does not have staying power, nor does she have the immense talent required these days to beat the highest-ranked skaters in the world.

    Her chances of making the world team also depend on how Nagasu, Wagner and Czisny do. If Flatt can do what she used to be able to do, it will be up to those three to best her for the World team spot. I'm getting the sense that several fans cannot wait for Flatt to fail/retire. While I never wish stuff like that as far as any skater is concerned, I do have an inner hope that the World team this year will consist of 2 other skaters. Rachel just needs to put out something that she can be proud of and not worry so much about the result, since there is always school. I feel the other contenders have much more at stake- Nagasu having the most (needing to prove herself), Czisny right behind (defending champ), then Wagner a somewhat distant third (made big changes over the summer, needs a payoff for the hard work).

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    82
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Rachael used to have more presentation when she was the high school kid than now. Same with Mirai, she had a very distinct presence on the ice. (For her, I think the Puberty Monster caught up...) It's a shame to see them both with little personality and presentation now versus 2-3 years ago. IMO, it's Ashley's and Alissa's Nationals. They both deserve the chance at Worlds. Rachael and/or Mirai could beat them only if some more personality and presentation shows up. Hopefully Tom Z helps Rachael on that, and Mirai can actually show it.

  12. #32
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,107
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33169
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I take it you've never read what her actual training schedule is and that you have never driven on 280 between Page Mill Rd. and downtown San Jose.
    I drive there all the time and have to agree with you, Stanford is close to Redwood City and San Jose but Oakland can be a pain. I hate 880 but 280 is a pretty, relatively uncongested road.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  13. #33
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,804
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Dillon and Smith are based in San Jose. Unless Flatt is driving in the height of rush hour traffic (which I doubt), that's about half an hour away from campus. Redwood City is about fifteen minutes away. Oakland is farther, but how often does she actually go there?
    I'd be very surprised if she wasn't driving at rush hour. Most freestyle sessions are during the height of the morning commute. The ones in the afternoon would be okay to get to but hard to get home from.

    And Google Maps says the Redwood City rink is 20 minutes away which is more my experience. In fact, I'd say it's 20-30 depending on traffic.

    It says it's the same to go to Shark's Ice but that's a lie. 280 S during the week is HORRIBLE. And even when it's not rush hour, it still takes more like 30 minutes. It says getting to Oakland is 35 minutes but again that's not realistic. I'd say 45 min. minimum and at least an hour in rush hour but more likely more.

    I will tell you that in this area your commute really depends on time of day and direction of traffic.

    If Rachael was training in Redwood City, her commute would probably always be 20-30 minutes but San Jose is always horrible to get to and it's even more horrible during rush hour and Oakland, from where she is, is 10x worse because it's a kind of "can't get here from there" situation due to where the roads are and also the fact that it's on the other side of the Bay.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  14. #34
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,107
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33169
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    And Google Maps says the Redwood City rink is 20 minutes away which is more my experience. In fact, I'd say it's 20-30 depending on traffic.

    It says it's the same to go to Shark's Ice but that's a lie. 280 S during the week is HORRIBLE. And even when it's not rush hour, it still takes more like 30 minutes. It says getting to Oakland is 35 minutes but again that's not realistic. I'd say 45 min. minimum and at least an hour in rush hour but more likely more.

    I will tell you that in this area your commute really depends on time of day and direction of traffic.
    From Cupertino on to San Jose, 280 can be a problem--all those Silicon Valley peeps driving to and fro at odd hours. But north of Cupertino it's usually fine unless it's the rush hour.

    My GPS always underestimates the amount of time it takes to get to and from East Bay for some reason. May be the San Mateo Bridge is a better option, I dunno.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by SueSue View Post
    Agreed. To compete at such a high level requires full time dedication which includes off-ice training and a highly regimented diet. That seems impossible with the time demands of attending a top university like Stanford.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but it's 100% plausible to train at an elite level (and follow a highly regimented diet) while attending a top university like Stanford. Their athletic department has multiple athletes in Olympic sports doing the same and NCAA athletes routinely spend 30+ hrs a week training plus taking full course loads. The only difference is that for the most part their training and courses are closer together. If Rachael had picked Harvard/UPenn/etc instead she wouldn't be traveling as much and it'd be much easier to balance an elite school and training schedule.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by julianaqtpi View Post
    Rachael used to have more presentation when she was the high school kid than now. Same with Mirai, she had a very distinct presence on the ice. (For her, I think the Puberty Monster caught up...) It's a shame to see them both with little personality and presentation now versus 2-3 years ago. IMO, it's Ashley's and Alissa's Nationals. They both deserve the chance at Worlds. Rachael and/or Mirai could beat them only if some more personality and presentation shows up. Hopefully Tom Z helps Rachael on that, and Mirai can actually show it.
    If it's Alissa and Ashley at Worlds i don't see the US getting that third spot back. It's looking grim for Sochi unless one of the Junior skaters improves drastically. Maybe it will be Gracie Gold since she seems to actually push herself technically. Ashley isn't and Alissa is shaking even when she lands her jumps plus there is no speed or power there.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,416
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but it's 100% plausible to train at an elite level (and follow a highly regimented diet) while attending a top university like Stanford.
    Sure, college and sports works for athletes in collegiate sports, but have we seen a top level skater do it in the past 20 years or so? More to the point, have we seen anyone do it at a college that does not have a local training rink? While there have been a number of skaters competing and attending college, they usually take a reduced course load. (Or, in Emily Hughes' case, taking a full course load while their skating goes in the dumper.) I think the Canton ice dancers are getting their degrees on a 10 year plan, taking only one or two classes at a time. Some others skaters managed more, taking 5 or 6 years to finish.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    near Chicago
    Posts
    2,039
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If it's Alissa and Ashley at Worlds i don't see the US getting that third spot back. It's looking grim for Sochi unless one of the Junior skaters improves drastically. Maybe it will be Gracie Gold since she seems to actually push herself technically. Ashley isn't and Alissa is shaking even when she lands her jumps plus there is no speed or power there.
    ITA!!! We don't have any girls good enough to be on the podium at Worlds. I don't think Alissa, Ashley or Mirai will be good enough to get us three spots in 2013. We just need all new faces!!

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I live in Southern CA and attend school here. But I don't live on campus. In the mornings, the drive tends to be about 45 minutes. At night, it's taken nearly 2 hours to get home.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,747
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but it's 100% plausible to train at an elite level (and follow a highly regimented diet) while attending a top university like Stanford. Their athletic department has multiple athletes in Olympic sports doing the same and NCAA athletes routinely spend 30+ hrs a week training plus taking full course loads. The only difference is that for the most part their training and courses are closer together. If Rachael had picked Harvard/UPenn/etc instead she wouldn't be traveling as much and it'd be much easier to balance an elite school and training schedule.
    It is very unlikely that she has access to everything that athletes competing for Stanford have such as the athletes' dining hall, training facilities, etc...If memory serves, it was specifically said that she would not prior to the term starting.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •