Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

The 25th Annual Colorado Springs County Spelling Bee

What's the definition of a masochist?

vCash
    I thought she was smart
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Come on Rachael Does she want a matching set of broken tibias or something?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I said before that I thought if she really buckled down and used the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks to really work on her programs, she had a shot at making the podium at Nationals.

Well visiting another part of the country and living in a hotel, training with someone who isn't actually your current coach, and doing some shows during that period is not buckling down and concentrating on getting ready for Nationals in my book. I am not sanguine about these plans.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Rachel's jumps has been very shaky this season and end of last season due to injury. Tom Zzzzzzzz is very good jumping coach so it makes sense to get help from him, but that is not the only problem Rachel has, she need better ice coverage and better presentation, which is all but absent in her programs. I hope Rachel's visit Tom Zzzzzzzz is a success and hope we will see and better presentation at the US nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Rachel's jumps has been very shaky this season and end of last season due to injury. Tom Zzzzzzzz is very good jumping coach so it makes sense to get help from him, but that is not the only problem Rachel has, she need better ice coverage and better presentation, which is all but absent in her programs. I hope Rachel's visit Tom Zzzzzzzz is a success and hope we will see and better presentation at the US nationals.
    Even if she lands her jumps, I suspect her PCS will suffer so much to the extent that she wouldn't be a threat to the podium.

vCash
    Rachel has, she need better ice coverage and better presentation, which is all but absent in her programs.
    She also needs to get a lot more serious about her overall fitness and condition. It is pretty obvious from the roundness of her arms that she is carrying too much body fat for this sport, which cannot be helping her jump consistency.

vCash
    As many of you know from past posts, I'm no fan of Tom Z. But, somehow, I think this is the best immediate solution for Rachael: Tom Z and Rachael seem to get along and his coaching method, along with training at 6,000 ft. altitude, might return her jumps to passable form that gets her on the podium. She doesn't seem to be able to make Stanford and training at 3 rinks work for her.

If she had more time, I'd say going back to Tom Z for a temporary fix would be a disaster. However, she doesn't have the time right now to invest in deep, long-term repairs to her skating skills and presentation.

However, I do think she will be behind all of Czisny, Nagasu and Wagner come Nats

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I said before that I thought if she really buckled down and used the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks to really work on her programs, she had a shot at making the podium at Nationals.

Well visiting another part of the country and living in a hotel, training with someone who isn't actually your current coach, and doing some shows during that period is not buckling down and concentrating on getting ready for Nationals in my book. I am not sanguine about these plans.
    I didn't realize she is doing shows. However, she could be in need of to pay for her training so it could be a necessity.

As to the training with Tom Z --the jump coach: the article mentions how Rachael wants to show off her artistic side rather than tech side. Is Tom Z the person for that? To me it sounds like her jumps are in not so good a shape.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I hope that her jumps don't just improve for Nationals, only to see them degrade again once she goes back to school, especially if she makes the Worlds team.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    As many of you know from past posts, I'm no fan of Tom Z. But, somehow, I think this is the best immediate solution for Rachael: Tom Z and Rachael seem to get along and his coaching method, along with training at 6,000 ft. altitude, might return her jumps to passable form that gets her on the podium. She doesn't seem to be able to make Stanford and training at 3 rinks work for her.
    But she's not just training but also doing shows. Those are a distraction for her preparation for Nats and will cut into her training time.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

Well, her results have been less than spectacular under the new coaches, though we have no way of knowing if that's due to coaching or schedule adjustments, etc. And RF's PCS scores aren't going to matter if she can't get her jumps back. I'm sensing a little desperation??

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I'm sensing she wanted to do the shows...

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    As many of you know from past posts, I'm no fan of Tom Z. But, somehow, I think this is the best immediate solution for Rachael
    EYS. The article made it sound like college life - in addition to training and long Bay Area commutes - has been a tough adjustment. Going back to a comfortable, familiar environment, including a coach she's used to working with and who has gotten good results from her before, sounds like a good recipe for getting back into shape.

vCash
    Even if she improves for Nats, everything will just degrade after that. I seriously hope Alissa, Mirai and Ashley are prepared to kick butt. I don't want Flatt anywhere near a Worlds team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I hope that her jumps don't just improve for Nationals, only to see them degrade again once she goes back to school, especially if she makes the Worlds team.
    After 9th and 10th place finishes in her two GP events this fall, I can't imagine the judges giving her any favors when it comes to PCS. Although Nationals is still a few weeks away and many things can happen, I think Rachael is skating for a 4th place finish, at best. Even Mirai's worst this season (151.72) is better than Rachael's best (147.63). Then factor in skaters like Keiser and Wang who are triple-triple threats, and Rachael may find herself out of the top 6 all together.

vCash
    I'm not sure that the US judges will write her off after one bad season. On the other hand, I agree that if she doesn't skate well, she probably won't get held up. At least not by much. Her SP got her decent scores but the LP really sank her. Zakrajsek might be able to help her with the URs, but will he fix those craptastic spins?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    She also needs to get a lot more serious about her overall fitness and condition. It is pretty obvious from the roundness of her arms that she is carrying too much body fat for this sport, which cannot be helping her jump consistency.
    Agreed. To compete at such a high level requires full time dedication which includes off-ice training and a highly regimented diet. That seems impossible with the time demands of attending a top university like Stanford.

She's a nice girl and I wish her the best, but it seems like her competitive days are over and she should just enjoy being a very bright and promising college student.

vCash
    I just beg any of the other skaters like Mirai or Alissa or Ashley to not meltdown and skate the way they can and keep Rachael away from the podium especially a top 2 finish. It's only a little over two years to Sochi and the US doesn't need a holdover like Racheal anywhere near a podium at Nationals.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast