Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 241 to 250 of 250
  1. #241
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,505
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think the public would be even more and by having someone who scored 275 points get credit for 225, after the weighting, though. The team scoring appeals more to the general viewer, because its easy, but if they hook viewers in at the beginning, if they don't explain why the scoring is different from individual events, the viewers are going to be and maybe (or, most likely, disappear again).
    Of course, I didn't think about that at all. It would be more fair but it just wouldn't work because it would be too confusing and would alienate audiences.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Why are they having the team competition before the individual events anyways?
    To ensure skaters treat it seriously.

  2. #242
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cerro Torre
    Posts
    3,497
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Why are they having the team competition before the individual events anyways?.
    To make things easier for Yuna Kim and Javier Fernández.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 02-02-2013 at 12:38 AM.

  3. #243
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,505
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    To make things easier for Yuna Kim and Javier Fernández.
    SOUND THE CONSPIRACY KLAXON!

  4. #244
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Entre Pinto y Valdemoro
    Posts
    705
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    SOUND THE CONSPIRACY KLAXON!
    Both of them coached by Orser

  5. #245
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kim was coached by Orser, but isn't at this juncture.

  6. #246

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8021
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Kim was coached by Orser, but isn't at this juncture.
    aaah - now we know! Secretly she is still coached by him, but to dispel any rumors about Orser being the team event puppet master so his students can win, she SAID she left him... It all makes sense now! <crazy person emoticon>

  7. #247
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Somehow when the team event was in the air but undefined I was hoping for an Olympics for athletes in the pewter position. The pewter people would have that one skate but the whole team would medal. I guess I wish more skaters could have an Olympic experience.

  8. #248
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Of course, I didn't think about that at all. It would be more fair but it just wouldn't work because it would be too confusing and would alienate audiences..
    I wasn't clear enough; those were supposed to be two separate thoughts, and a paragraph break would have helped. It will probably be confusing to the audience anyway the way it's going to be held, since the Team Event will be solely by ranking, but the individual events will go back to cumulative point scoring. I'm sure half of the general audience with think figure skating has gone back to ordinals, on a scale of 1-10.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  9. #249

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8021
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I wasn't clear enough; those were supposed to be two separate thoughts, and a paragraph break would have helped. It will probably be confusing to the audience anyway the way it's going to be held, since the Team Event will be solely by ranking, but the individual events will go back to cumulative point scoring. I'm sure half of the general audience with think figure skating has gone back to ordinals, on a scale of 1-10.
    I suppose this could happen, but honestly, I think the general public can easily understand the difference, as long as commentators don't tell about how confusing it is, or how how difficult it is to keep track of the different things etc etc.

    as for the event, I am tentatively excited, but I think it will be a mess - and I don't think it is good to have everyone do their program twice. I would much prefer that the regular programs just added up to the team score somehow.

  10. #250

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    151
    So the team event takes place on the 6th, 8th and 9th. It looks like the individual comps start on the 11th.
    http://www.sochi2014.com/en/games/sp...ames/schedule/
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •