Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Margaglio

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    My opinion is that Margalio was an average Ice Dancer, who relied to two footed skating a lot.
    But I'm sure he still knows a thing or two more about ice dance than the majority of posters on this board, who certainly have a hell lot to say all the time. So why does he get made fun of when he tries to voice it? It's just as bad as telling someone to shut up because they don't skate themselves.

vCash
    [QUOTE=shine;3421525]But I'm sure he still knows a thing or two more about ice dance than the majority of posters on this board,

Eys he does but don't forget we wouldn't have had the Babs stare without him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    My opinion is that Margalio was an average Ice Dancer, who relied to two footed skating a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    But I'm sure he still knows a thing or two more about ice dance than the majority of posters on this board, who certainly have a hell lot to say all the time. So why does he get made fun of when he tries to voice it? It's just as bad as telling someone to shut up because they don't skate themselves.
    Right. It's possible to point out an elite skater's deficiencies relative to other elite skaters without making fun of them.

Or one can just use personal prejudices about technical pet peeves or artistic choices or facial expressions or physical characteristics to make fun. Which may be fun for the poster but painful to read for anyone who supports or identifies with that skater. And it doesn't establish the poster as an expert -- quite the opposite.

There's certainly no need to defend one skater who's been attacked by turning around and attacking a rival or someone unrelated to the discussion, just to prove that one can.

Anyhow, while I agree with Sparks's assessment, with "average" being understood in the context of world-level ice dance competitors. As low-level adult skater, I'm sure there is much I could learn from him technically and it would be a treat to skate CD I'm capable of skating with any partner of average world-class skill.

I don't know what Margaglio's coaching skills are like, but as we know from other discussions just being able to do something especially well doesn't necessarily translate into being able to teach it well, or vice versa.

On the other hand, one thing I think Margaglio excelled at in his competitive career, compared to many other ice dancers at the time, was dance holds and achieving a ballroom feel to the CDs and ODs, which was more important at that time than in the new "short dance" era.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    That's all I was saying. I was not telling anyone to shut up. I was just saying that a man who has been a Champion should not get dismissed like that.
    I like hearing what past champions have to say about skating today.
    Robin Cousins is always interesting in his opinion of today's skating stars.
    Also, my comment about Meryl Davis does not mean I don't like watching her skate. I met her at the 2008 Worlds & she was lovely. I was making a point about how personal we can be.
    I guess my English humour does not work here.
    Oh well, I'm off to watch my Fawlty Towers DVD's again for comfort...........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    Also, Aussie Willy read all the posts on this board & then tell others off for being bitchy as well. Don't single me out.
    I am not telling you off for being bitchy, I am pointing out that you are being hypocrite. Because you are complaining about others being bitchy and then doing it yourself.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    I really loved FP-M. They put their all into their programs.

vCash
    I loved them too. I watched their 2002 Olympic free dance this morning.
    Ouch !. Poor Barbara she was so upset.
    They should have gone back to their Romeo & Juliet programe for Salt Lake City.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    On the other hand, one thing I think Margaglio excelled at in his competitive career, compared to many other ice dancers at the time, was dance holds and achieving a ballroom feel to the CDs and ODs, which was more important at that time than in the new "short dance" era.
    This.

MM was a musically diverse ice dancer and had very good interpretation of the dances, imo.

MM was not the best technically, however he was a very good partner to BFP and he had the privilege of skating with one of the best female ice dancers of her generation. Barbara Fusar-Poli was a fabulous ice dancer technically and musically.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Plus yes I would say that to Meryl's face but her expression would not change.
    Oh SNAP!

vCash
    Barbara Fusar-Poli has got to go down as one of the best female ice dancers ever. I didn't like the team of F-P&M but I really respected her techincal ability. She sold their programs IMVHO.

She happened to skate during the era of B&K...so therein my allegiance always fell.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Technically Margaglio was never great (and especially in comparison to Babs, one of the best female ice dancers ever), but he was able to showcase the hell out of his partner when he wasn't tripping up.

And he sure could teach some of the current crop of male ice dancers about actually moving their hips when they do Latin.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Let's face it, Margalio or Platov were NEVER going to put Barbara or Pasha in the corner !
    They did their best. You were always drawn to Barbara. She made you really believe how much she loved it & when things went wrong how angry she was.
    You can pull any skating programe to bits & talk about it, but for pure enjoyment Fusar-Poli & Margaglio were fantastic.
    B/K were more even. I always found myself watching both during their programes. Their 1998 Nations Cup free dance a real fave of mine.
    I agree that Margaglio was not as gifted as Barbara but he did his job well.
    I like most NEVER saw them as future World or European Champions but they worked their backsides off to get better & it paid off.
    I think B/K being injured in 2000 & not going to the Worlds opened the door for the Italians. The judges looked at them in a new light.
    I would have loved to see B/K 2003 free dance go against F-P/M 2001 free dance & A/P 2000 free dance. Three of the best for me.

vCash
    Don't know why you said 'they did their best'

I don't think Evgany was a bad partner by any stretch at all. If anything he was the perfect partner. He just happened to skate with someone who demanded your attention more...much like Bestemianova and Bukin. Andrei was a great partner for Natalia but she was just that much more dramatic. (kinda like Navka and Kostomarov... you couldn't take your eyes of her either)
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    ......On the other hand, one thing I think Margaglio excelled at in his competitive career, compared to many other ice dancers at the time, was dance holds and achieving a ballroom feel to the CDs and ODs, which was more important at that time than in the new "short dance" era.
    ....They should have gone back to their Romeo & Juliet programe for Salt Lake City.
    I agree with whoever said that Maurizio was average as a skater. Well, I think his technical ability was average but he was great at partnering Barbara who IMO was an excellent skater and dancer. ITA gkelly that Maurizio was good at ballroom styled dances and F/P&M lucked out that the OD's for their two "peak" years were Latin and Quickstep/Foxtrot. IIRC even many who weren't really F/P&M fans gave credit where it was due when it came to those two OD's. I also thought "Lord of the Rings/Braveheart" and "Romeo & Juliet" were also great vehicles for them and highlighted their strengths as a team.

I think that F/P&M's two medals were deserved. While the 2001 gold is debatable but IMO they did deserve at least the silver. In the 99/00 and 00/01 seasons F/P&M were at their peak and it helped that the stars aligned and issue that some of the other teams had (as PashaFan mentioned, B&K's injury and bad programs in 99/00 and A/P's not so well received programs 00/01). In those two years F/P&M didn't really need judging help.

01/02 was another story. I think F/P&M got brownie points and some cushion from their previous two world medals. I would have placed D&V on the podium in SLC.

PashaFan, for some reason in icedance it's the kiss of death to reuse the previous years FD. I always thought that Barbara and Maurizio should have re-worked their Tango exhibition from 2001 into their Olympic year FD. That was another program that suited both team members and would have been amazing for them as a FD. I don't know what F/P&M were thinking when they chose I Will Survive. Entertaining as an exhibition but not a great FD.

I realize by now that we will never get 100% agreement on which teams are the best or worst but I've always felt that some of the hate for F/P&M goes back to the infamous "feud" they had with B&K in the 99/00 season; with Barbara and Maurizio coming out on top. I still have the Cup of Russia competition on tape.

Before Evgeny Platov began having knee trouble and subsequent surgeries, I think he was very much Pasha's equal. It was only after that when G&P's programs seemed more Pasha focused.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Don't know why you said 'they did their best'

I don't think Evgany was a bad partner by any stretch at all. If anything he was the perfect partner. He just happened to skate with someone who demanded your attention more...much like Bestemianova and Bukin. Andrei was a great partner for Natalia but she was just that much more dramatic. (kinda like Navka and Kostomarov... you couldn't take your eyes of her either)
    I meant they did their best to match Barbara & Pasha's personality. And not be over shadowed by them. I did not mean they were bad partners. They held their own. When Evgeny skated with Maya Usova in late 1998 onwards you could really see his talent shine.
    I'm also totally in agreement that F-P/M I Will Survive free dance was a poor choice. It never worked as a package yet as a show programe it was wonderful. They used it later in 2002 as an exhibition. I remember watching them at the Obersdorf gala & at the ARD gala on ice.
    I did not see the 1999 Cup Of Russia. What happened?.

vCash
    PashaFan, F/P&M followed up their 1999 Skate America win by winning Cup of Russia as well. It caused a huge stir because they beat B&K.

IIRC they won all three segments of the competition. Back then Lifetime was covering the pair and dance events from the GP series and IMO they did a pretty decent job with the icedance coverage having Susie Wynne breaking down each portion of the dance event. I did agree with her that B&K probably should have won the CD but overall it didn't (and shouldn't have) changed the overall result. I liked the fact that when Susie went through the judges marks for each segment, she pointed out that both the Canadian and Italian judges marks effectively canceled one another out as it was a given that those judges would probably vote their own team first.

F/P&M were at the top of their game skating wise and they had two excellent programs. The latin OD (didn't they beat A&P at worlds with this program as well?) and the Lord of the Dance FD. IMO B&K for some reason chose the wrong programs to use that season. A weak "Latin" OD and the exhbition like Come by Me (I think that was the name of the song).

B&K and some of their fans raised holy hell and started complaining of politicks again. They felt they were still being punished for speaking out in Nagano. Lifetime also got some interesting backstage footage as well. There clearly no love lost between B&K and F/P&M. That competition also resulted in an article in which Victor Kraatz said that it was hard losing to a team with no potential.

vCash
    I always felt a bit about FP/M because I thought/think A/P should have won 01 worlds and I felt D/V should have won SLC bronze. However, I go back and watch them now and really do appreciate their qualities, even if I still don't agree with said results.

I do think though, that their choice of FD for SLC was a BIG mistake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    PashaFan, F/P&M followed up their 1999 Skate America win by winning Cup of Russia as well. It caused a huge stir because they beat B&K.

IIRC they won all three segments of the competition. Back then Lifetime was covering the pair and dance events from the GP series and IMO they did a pretty decent job with the icedance coverage having Susie Wynne breaking down each portion of the dance event. I did agree with her that B&K probably should have won the CD but overall it didn't (and shouldn't have) changed the overall result. I liked the fact that when Susie went through the judges marks for each segment, she pointed out that both the Canadian and Italian judges marks effectively canceled one another out as it was a given that those judges would probably vote their own team first.

F/P&M were at the top of their game skating wise and they had two excellent programs. The latin OD (didn't they beat A&P at worlds with this program as well?) and the Lord of the Dance FD. IMO B&K for some reason chose the wrong programs to use that season. A weak "Latin" OD and the exhbition like Come by Me (I think that was the name of the song).

B&K and some of their fans raised holy hell and started complaining of politicks again. They felt they were still being punished for speaking out in Nagano. Lifetime also got some interesting backstage footage as well. There clearly no love lost between B&K and F/P&M. That competition also resulted in an article in which Victor Kraatz said that it was hard losing to a team with no potential.
    Thanks for that info.
    I missed the entire 1999 Grand Prix events as I was working. Because B/K were not at the Worlds in 2000 I did not get to see those programes.
    I remember F-P/M beating them in Skate America & The Nations Cup in 2000 which I thought was the right result. The lack of movement between the CD, OD & Free dance back then was shocking. D/V never got the true credit they should have from the judges even when they come back in 2006.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    As a couple they weren't one my favs but they were exciting and gave everything ' especially Babs into every programme they did.
    Yes, and I definetely always prefered Fusar-Poli/Margaglio against Bourne/Kraatz.

We are very happy to have Margaglio in Finland to help our ice-dancers!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12