Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Well, with some luck he'll be able to get the required minimum during the Europeans. Although, I'd be endlessly amused, and would see the greater justice if he didn't.
    I bet he could do it with only one skate on.

The minimum rule is a joke for skaters of his his caliber; I hope it's changed by the time skaters like Kim, Rochette and Pang and Tong want to come back.

Good job ISU, now amend your stupid rule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    It means he won't be allowed to compete at worlds- am I correct?

It will be interesting to see how he stacks up against the young European skaters like Fermandez.
    No, just that the exception is only valid for Euros. Should he not make the minimum (which, obviously, he will), he won't be eligible for Worlds.

I do hope they amend the rule in the future as opposed to grant exemptions, however.

vCash
    Knowing that he was coming back for Nationals and would (presumably) be top 2 there, why didn't the Russian Fed. assign Plushenko to a Sr. B event this fall/winter so he could obtain the minimum score requirements there?

I agree that a skater of his caliber should be allowed to compete at Euros & Worlds, but why not at least try to play by the ISU rules?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Knowing that he was coming back for Nationals and would (presumably) be top 2 there, why didn't the Russian Fed. assign Plushenko to a Sr. B event this fall/winter so he could obtain the minimum score requirements there?

I agree that a skater of his caliber should be allowed to compete at Euros & Worlds, but why not at least try to play by the ISU rules?
    It is my understanding that Plushenko was pretty seriously injured throughout the fall and came to compete at the Nationals with minimal training.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I imagine this will improve attendance for the men's qualifying rounds in Sheffield.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I imagine this will improve attendance for the men's qualifying rounds in Sheffield.
    Which probably factored into the decision. I'm quite certain the European Championship organizers would have been much more distressed by his not being there than wanting to adhere to lofty principles.

I wouldn't be surprised for Plushenko to skip worlds this year (much as I'd like to see him beat Chan), but he'll have the scores from Europeans to make him eligible next year when he will want to compete prior to the Olympic season. This will allow him to compete at crucial events and save his knees for those.

Breznia and Fernandez are his major competitors at Europeans unless Joubert comes out blazing and well rested. Which speaks volumes about the state of men's skating in Europe.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    It is my understanding that Plushenko was pretty seriously injured throughout the fall and came to compete at the Nationals with minimal training.
    Didn't he undergo two surgeries (one of them major) this season and was rehabbing most of the time? He did not even start skating/training until very recently, from what I read. It was amazing that he was able to land the quad and 3A.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    (much as I'd like to see him beat Chan[/SIZE]),

don't I wish...

Just me
    vCash
    I wouldn't be surprised for Plushenko to skip worlds this year (much as I'd like to see him beat Chan), but he'll have the scores from Europeans to make him eligible next year when he will want to compete prior to the Olympic season.
    You think part of Mishin's "plan" is for Plushenko NOT to face Chan this year?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    You think part of Mishin's "plan" is for Plushenko NOT to face Chan this year?
    I don't think it has anything to do with Chan. If I were his coach and the Russian Fed, I wouldn't worry about 2012 Worlds championship. They are focused on Sochi. I'd save his knees for when it really matters. A World's championship doesn't. I think he's planning on another arthroscopy after Europeans in any event.

vCash
    around the days of russian nationals mishin had an interview that I can search the link but I m lazy that more or less said that Plushenko is not ready for worlds this year. It is obvious he doesnt want Plu to face not only Chan but Kozu and Daisuke also but I m not sure it matters cause whenever he would meet them if he wouldnt beat them, this year, next or Sochi,especially Chan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    around the days of russian nationals mishin had an interview that I can search the link but I m lazy that more or less said that Plushenko is not ready for worlds this year. It is obvious he doesnt want Plu to face not only Chan but Kozu and Daisuke also but I m not sure it matters cause whenever he would meet them if he wouldnt beat them, this year, next or Sochi,especially Chan.
    It's true that Plush is not ready for worlds; he has not had much training time. I agree with Rfisher. Their focus is on Sochi, not on worlds 2012. He can come back strong next season, his health permitting, and can at least have a shot at the OGM (although it will be very tough) or any color Olympic medal (possible).

vCash
    I don't think it has anything to do with Chan. If I were his coach and the Russian Fed, I wouldn't worry about 2012 Worlds championship. They are focused on Sochi. I'd save his knees for when it really matters. A World's championship doesn't. I think he's planning on another arthroscopy after Europeans in any event.
    It's true that Plush is not ready for worlds; he has not had much training time. I agree with Rfisher. Their focus is on Sochi, not on worlds 2012. He can come back strong next season, his health permitting, and can at least have a shot at the OGM (although it will be very tough) or any color Olympic medal (possible).
    I agree, his mistake in 2010 was he didn't prepare far enough in advance and I think now he's taking his time and working out all the kinks. He has 24 months to prepare and can take that time to prepare properly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    if it means any live (and generally available) feed from this qualification round (and other qrs, too), I can forgive ISU jarring lack of consistency in obeying their own rules

vCash
    Then why compete at Euros? I agree that his focus is Sochi, and that risking that for 2012 Worlds is silly. But why compete at all this season? Hasn't he already risked his comeback by rushing his return?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It means he won't be allowed to compete at worlds- am I correct?
    It means he can't skip Euros and use the decision to go to Worlds. After competing at Euros, he'll have the required minimum score for Worlds, as well as a GP qualifying score for next season, although he's said he has surgery planned for then and isn't planning to compete at Worlds.

It makes more sense to be healthy at 2013 Worlds, since he has a chance with Gachinsky to qualify three men for Sochi.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    It means he can't skip Euros and use the decision to go to Worlds. After competing at Euros, he'll have the required minimum score for Worlds, as well as a GP qualifying score for next season, although he's said he has surgery planned for then and isn't planning to compete at Worlds.

It makes more sense to be healthy at 2013 Worlds, since he has a chance with Gachinsky to qualify three men for Sochi.
    And competing at Euros gives him that score which is why he's going there rather than Worlds. It totally makes sense to do Euros instead, especially if he wins gold. It will put him in good stead for next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I agree, his mistake in 2010 was he didn't prepare far enough in advance and I think now he's taking his time and working out all the kinks. He has 24 months to prepare and can take that time to prepare properly.
    All he had to do to win was to add a 2loop at the end of one of his combinations, or do a 3flip instead of a 2axel to maximise his points.

Yes he has 24 months to prepare for Sochi but if he keeps his "I don't care about the rules" attitude I wouldn't be surprised if he gets beaten again by someone who does his best to maximise points under the rules.

With Plushenko, it's never about preparation coz he almost always gets his jumps. Rather, it's about proper game planning and sticking to that plan, and that includes jump layout and transitions.

vCash
    And competing at Euros gives him that score which is why he's going there rather than Worlds. It totally makes sense to do Euros instead, especially if he wins gold. It will put him in good stead for next season.
    And (going to euros instead of Worlds) he won't have to face Chan and the Japanese men before he is 100% ready.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And (going to euros instead of Worlds) he won't have to face Chan and the Japanese men before he is 100% ready.
    There is that. I wouldn't risk a loss at Worlds when there is a bigger prize at stake down the road. I think he and Mishin have a plan. Same with LaTuk. Mishin isn't concerned with what she wins or loses at this point. It's all about preparation for the big prize.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast