Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Van Helsing!!!
    Hugh Jackman! YES!!!!!

vCash
    I thought that Paul Blart: Mall Cop was actually kind of fun. I'm also a big fan of Zoolander, which always makes me laugh.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I love suspense movies like Black Widow and Fatal Attraction. I also love Steel Magnolias, A League Of Their Own, Devine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, Fried Green Tomatos, etc. One of my most favorite suspense movies is Obsessed with Beyonce.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    Dirty Dancing did VERY well at the box office, and has done incredibly well since. I wouldn't say that it's a "hated" movie, in general.
    true, if we had a thread for loved movies that we hate, i would put dirty dancing in it. i dont meet that many other people who are as allergic to it as i am.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I'm not sure Ladyhawke qualifies as a hated movie. I know a lot of people who are embarrassed by it, but haven't met anyone who hates it.

It's the last movie I went to that got a huge ovation at the end from everyone in the theater. When I was really little, that was common. The practice died out as society realized there was no one there to hear the cheers.

Anyway, Ladyhawke is a fabulous movie. Even if it's got some gross historical inaccuracies, it's a great story.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I remember Lady Hawk got some good critical notices when it came out, but it was a b.o. failure.

vCash
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze SO GOOD.

vCash
    I love both Ladyhawk and Legend.

vCash
    Love Ladyhawke!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    Dirty Dancing did VERY well at the box office, and has done incredibly well since. I wouldn't say that it's a "hated" movie, in general.
    It was hated by the critics, but did well at the box office. That's what I mentioned in my post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    glitter was another so bad i enjoyed it film. plus i saw it in the theater at the same time as some all gay mariah carey fanclub. they made it awesome. many of them wept.
    "Glitter" belongs next to "Showgirls" and "Who's That Girl" on the "so horrifically awful, it's hilarious" movie list.

And I am sooo jealous of your viewing experience, it must have been incredible.

true, if we had a thread for loved movies that we hate, i would put dirty dancing in it. i dont meet that many other people who are as allergic to it as i am.
    It must be one of the most vomit-inducing pieces of crap, ever etched onto celluloid.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I remember Lady Hawk got some good critical notices when it came out, but it was a b.o. failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Misspelling a title that has been correctly spelled in the same thread, on the same page, in a post near to yours should result in an immediate public lynching, including being whipped naked, as the cheering crowds watch on.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-02-2012 at 04:57 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It must be one of the most vomit-inducing pieces of crap, ever etched onto celluloid.
    That movie tends to appeal to a particular demographic - were you even born in 1987?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    That movie tends to appeal to a particular demographic - were you even born in 1987?
    Yes.

But that really doesn't have much to do with it.

The fact that it's cheesy, sickly sweet and not very clever does.

Not enough misery or the meditation on the futility of life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Another Legend fan---I liked Ladyhawk too.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yes.

But that really doesn't have much to do with it.
    It has everything to do with it. If you look at when that movie came out, what was going on at the time, and how it fits into a timeline of similarly themed movies, tv and music, you see that it was aligned for success.

The audience that loved the movie - mostly women, of all ages - was ready for it because of when it came out and what had come before it.

The fact that it's cheesy, sickly sweet and not very clever does.

Not enough misery or the meditation on the futility of life.
    Cheesy and sickly sweet to one person is nostalgic, romantic and innocent to another. And looking a little more closely, the plot and dialogue may have been simple and formulaic, but the themes were for the most part timeless, thus connecting to the intended audience, whether it reflected an aspect of their own lives, or an idealized version of same.

And I'm sure you're being sarcastic about misery and meditation on the futility of life, but the movie actually has quite a bit of that too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    And I'm sure you're being sarcastic about misery and meditation on the futility of life, but the movie actually has quite a bit of that too.
    Nope, I'm not being sarcastic. All the movies I like feature those two components.

I don't ever watch cheesy movies for fun (well, the only exception being ironically and sarcastically watching something horrifically awful, like "Showgirls").

Banned Member
    vCash
    Since it is the season I always loved "Silent Night, Deadly Night". It was gutted by the critics and because of protests it only stayed open for about a week. Siskel and Ebert totally didn't get it, they slammed it saying it had no value, no sense of humor, and I was like HUH? It's all campy fun, with dumb cops, dumb slasher vics and a homocidal Santa. I watched it with friends on Xmas, after It's a Wonderful Life made me gag.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Hi mlp, I am IceAlisa. I loathe Dirty Dancing.

Has anyone seen Christmas With The Kranks? I thought the director/writers were kidding. It was a joke, right?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Hi mlp, I am IceAlisa. I loathe Dirty Dancing.
    Another vote for loathing that movie. And in an even worse sin for women in my age group, I never found Patrick Swayze attractive at all.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    And in an even worse sin for women in my age group, I never found Patrick Swayze attractive at all.
    Thank you. May he RIP.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast