Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    "The Craft" with Robin Tunney and Neve Campbell. I can still recall my friend dogging me for months because I wanted to see that instead of "Clueless"
    Another movie I can quote from start to finish! Absolutely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    That's part of what we loved! I love period movies, but after hearing all the criticism, didn't see this when it first came out. Later, we got into Lost In Translation and Somewhere in Time, and appreciating the film craft, decided to give Marie Antoinette a shot.

Once you understand a bit about Coppola's headspace - all three films have similar themes - then it come together beautifully. The costumes and sets (including rare access inside Versailles) were accurate enough for the period diehard, but the addition of the modern soundtrack added a fabulous dimension that really underscored Coppola's central idea, that Marie Antoinette lived a life similar to a modern day rock star. The music was also a great compliment to the Kubrick/Mallick pace of the story/direction.
    That /\ /\ /\ ….. but mainly to underline S. Coppola’s intent to show that Marie Antoinette was a typical teenager with typical teenage frame of mind (according to S. Coppola’s own words). Such could and have been accomplished without modern music. The dialogues, the language and behavior of M-A and her mates speak for themselves...

I am not a fan of using modern music for period pieces unless the intent is “surrealism” or “comedy”.

A very beautiful movie came out recently, “House of Tolerance”, yet the modern music at introduction and conclusion ruined the whole atmosphere for me.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sit...ce_648x365.jpg

http://www.theblock-mag.com/wp-conte...olerance-3.jpg

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i loved marie antoinette, i had no idea everyone else didnt love it too

yay for subcliques!
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    "Crash". It seems that a lot of people found it patronizing and pandering...and I won't disagree, it was greatly lacking in subtlety....I'm just in love with all things Don Cheadle

(And add me to the list of folks who have utterly HATED many movies raved about by the masses, the critics, everyone, whoever...first up, "E.T.")
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    "E.T.")
    my first up is Forest Gump. it makes me want to set theaters on fire.

and it starts off promising w sally field servicing the principal as a bribe
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I remember when the critics panned "The Jazz Singer" with Neil Diamond, but I loved it, and the soundtrack, too.

vCash
    I love Center Stage, it's terrible, but I still love it.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Another movie I can quote from start to finish! Absolutely.
    Which one? The Craft or Clueless ?

Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I love Center Stage, it's terrible, but I still love it.
    There are people who don't love Center Stage?!

I thought Burlesque wasn't that bad
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    my first up is Forest Gump. it makes me want to set theaters on fire.

and it starts off promising w sally field servicing the principal as a bribe
    Me, too. That was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.

Also hated The English Patient. One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes is when everyone Elaine knows is mad at her because she hates that movie!

vCash
    I liked Sherlock Holmes better than Black Swan and The Social Network. I didn't get the appeal of The Social Network at all - it seemed dull to me.

vCash
    I love "Only You" and "Moulin Rouge". I also like the second Mummy movie. I like ALL Marie Antoinette movies, but I basically like ANY Marie Antoinette books/movies/documentaries.

vCash
    Originally posted by Paskatefan:
    I remember when the critics panned "The Jazz Singer" with Neil Diamond, but I loved it, and the soundtrack, too.
    Paskatefan, If you're into Neil Diamond, I would recommend watching "The Soloist" with Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr. It's got lots of his music in it. The critics were pretty lukewarm on this movie, but I just love it.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Someone should start a thread of critically-acclaimed movies that you hate. I have more of them than the reverse. (Titanic, Out of Africa, and on and on)

But I have to say when I read this thread title, I immediately thought "Showgirls". It was so bad on so many levels, yet I think it is (unintentionally) hilarious. I giggle endlessly when I see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    I love "Only You" and "Moulin Rouge". I also like the second Mummy movie. I like ALL Marie Antoinette movies, but I basically like ANY Marie Antoinette books/movies/documentaries.
    Moulin Rouge was very well-received by critics, actually, and was up for Best Picture. Though I suppose maybe your friends hate it? All of mine love it. It's my all-time favorite film.

Which one? The Craft or Clueless ?
    The Craft. Definitely. I have it on VHS I watch it every time it's on TV.

I thought Burlesque wasn't that bad
    I saw it in theaters and immediately bought the soundtrack I knew it was ridiculous (what sort of movie about a burlesque club has NO NUDITY whatsoever?) but I hearted it anyway. Plus, Xtina is so pretty and talented I am fine with watching was amounted to a 2-hour music video of hers, with interludes from Cher.

vCash
    Partition starring Kristn Kreuk. Loved this movie even though the ending descends into Bollywood/Hollywood type wishy washy melodrama. It is still a nice little movie which should have done a lot better. It is set against the partition of India and Pakistan in 1947 and follows a sikh young man who is a WW2 vet while he is trying to hide a young muslim woman from the mobs who would kill her should they find her.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    does The Cutting Edge count? Love that one and Stick It!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Death to Smoochy (My younger brother and I laughed almost nonstop while watching this one for the first time a few nights ago.)
    Death to Smoochy is a great movie.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Daredevil and Constantine. Universally panned. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Do I know they're not the best movies ever? Sure! Do I usually enjoy artsy independent films a lot more and scoff at typical Hollywood action/comic book movies? You bet!

And yet, I could watch those two over and over again.
    I liked Constantine. Really atmospheric. I also liked, of all things, Point Break. Yes, I am, apparently, one of the rare Keanu Reeves' fans. I am not sure why. It's not that I like him - but I do like those two movies.

Point Break really does suck. But I like it, and I've seen it several times. Maybe I like it because the first time I saw it, I was living in Ireland and homesick. And the only thing I like in it is Keanu Reeves. :shrugs:
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I also like "They Live", with Rowdy Roddy Piper. One of my favorite 1980's movies.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I liked Sherlock Holmes better than Black Swan and The Social Network. I didn't get the appeal of The Social Network at all - it seemed dull to me.

I loved The Social Network and Sherlock Holmes is two hours of my life I'll never get back.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast