Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Hated Movies You Liked/Loved

For me it was Ridley Scott's "Legend" with Tom Cruise and Mia Sara. For the most part, the critics did not like it, my friends loathed it but I really enjoyed the film.

What are your guilty pleasures?

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Unfortunately, I can think of more loved movies that I hated than the other way around. Like "The English Patient" and "Lost in Translation."

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Teen Witch!
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Heaven's Gate (which is, at least as the 2.5 hour version I've seen, very seriously flawed )
    Death to Smoochy (My younger brother and I laughed almost nonstop while watching this one for the first time a few nights ago.)

vCash
    Westworld (my mother HATES that movie, but not sure about the general public.)
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    WaterWorld was a mega flop and I absolutely love that movie. I have seen it countless times.

I also really enjoy the Jackass movies. I have a short attention span so small little segments keep my attention and I laugh until I cry every time.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I could probably come up with plenty, but I generally tend to be a movie snob so I am pretty aware when a movie I love is panned by the critics

My number 1 guilty pleasure is probably the Tomb Raider series with Angelina Jolie in them. I also love the whole Chronicles of Riddick series. Pitch Black isn't a bad film, but the second one is horrible. I love it anyway because of its relation to Pitch Black.

The first two Mummys. My friends all tend to love these, though, I just know the critics were not very big fans.

I will note I saw all of these when I was a teenager, and the fact that I can recognize some of their issues now hasn't stopped me loving them

Oh, and Spice World. I watched it so many times by VHS doesn't work anymore. I can quote it start to finish, easily. Again, my friends and I were all around 8 when it came out and it's a nostalgic pleasure for probably any of my friends whom are either female or a gay male

vCash
    I don’t know if the following movies are “hated”, but I know maybe 5 other people besides me who had seen and liked them….

“Enemies: A Love Story”
    “Clerks”
    “House of Sand and Fog”
    “Stranger Than Paradise”
    “Window to Paris”
    “A Boy and His Dog”
    “Portrait of Diane Arbus”
    “Nostalgia”
    “Color of Pomegranates”
    “Seven Beauties”

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i love westworld w yul brynner. is there another one?

i also really like spice world and clerks.

but like veronika, i can think of way more movies that were loved that i hate. the usher had to come over and ask me to be quiet when i saw black swan. i couldnt stop laughing.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    "The Craft" with Robin Tunney and Neve Campbell. I can still recall my friend dogging me for months because I wanted to see that instead of "Clueless"
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    SpiceWorld. I've seen it countless times.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Daredevil and Constantine. Universally panned. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Do I know they're not the best movies ever? Sure! Do I usually enjoy artsy independent films a lot more and scoff at typical Hollywood action/comic book movies? You bet!

And yet, I could watch those two over and over again.

vCash
    Thomas Vinterberg's "It's All About Love."

Bizarre, over-the-top, trying-too-hard and universally panned by both the critics and the audiences but I absolutely love it. It's one of my favourite films and I dig the director's intentions and his message (at least as I understand them).

P.S. I forgot what the title was so I half-jokingly put "danish film but not dogma with a figure skater and flying people" into Google and the first result that came out was the IMDB link.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 12-29-2011 at 08:32 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    It got some critical acclaim, but also a lot of criticism and wasn't popular with audiences, particularly for the casting - but we love Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette.

vCash
    snoopysnake loves snake movies such as
    - Snakes on a Plane
    - SSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Some of them are pretty bad, though, even for a snake lover like myself. The very worst was Snakes on a Train. (Yes, Train.) There are some very bad ones on Sci-Fi channel that make Snakes on a Plane seem like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

vCash
    Not hated, but I've got a couple of movies that were overshadowed by other somewhat similar movies that came out at the same time. I liked the ones I saw better - or at least as much

American Dreamer out at the same time as Romancing the Stone (I will not be defeated by a fictional character from a third-rate romantic thriller!)

Stir of Echos out at the same time as The Sixth Sense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Marie Antoinette.
    I liked it ..... (-minus modern twists)....

I luuuve "Nine"..... watched it 6-7 times and will keep watching.... (and 8-1/2.... ).
    I always leave "Showgirls" on when I need "something on the tv screen" in my office.....

vCash
    "The Replacements" - Keanu Reeves as a 'scab' football player hired to QB the Washington "Sentinals" during the NFL players strike. Gene Hackman as the coach, a team of misfits with stripper 'cheerleaders'. Rhys Ifans kills every scene he's in. Love this movie. Own this movie. As a football fan, I can hate the inaccuracies, but it never fails to keep me when I watch it.

vCash
    I liked Speed Racer, the one with Christina Ricci and Matthew Fox. I guess that tanked at the box office, but then I saw it on DVD and I just love it, lol. Great music, cool visuals...fun stuff.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    I liked it ..... (-minus modern twists)....
    That's part of what we loved! I love period movies, but after hearing all the criticism, didn't see this when it first came out. Later, we got into Lost In Translation and Somewhere in Time, and appreciating the film craft, decided to give Marie Antoinette a shot.

Once you understand a bit about Coppola's headspace - all three films have similar themes - then it come together beautifully. The costumes and sets (including rare access inside Versailles) were accurate enough for the period diehard, but the addition of the modern soundtrack added a fabulous dimension that really underscored Coppola's central idea, that Marie Antoinette lived a life similar to a modern day rock star. The music was also a great compliment to the Kubrick/Mallick pace of the story/direction.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast