Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash

ISU Posts "Calculation Error" in GPF FD

I hadn't seen this posted elsewhere. Virtue and Moir would have won the free dance.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...00.html?id=985

ETA: Oops, I found it. lol

Banned Member
    vCash
    Oh boy, can you imagine if this happened a couple weeks after the Olympics and the results were different? Not good. Reminds me somewhat of how Hamm won his all around Oly title by mathematical error.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Hmmm, I wonder how could the calculation error have been in the program for only one comp?

I foresee lots of already.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Wow, just wow.

vCash
    Scott Moir must be feeling very vindicated and having a very good day.

The calculation program used up to and including the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final had erroneously calculated the Dance result with the previous Grade of Execution (GOE) for the Combination Lift, which was upgraded with ISU Communication 1677 in July 2011.
    What does 'previous' mean? It would seem it refers to a rule change that was implemented this season? In that case, might there not be calculation errors in other programs as well?

vCash
    Aha! A pissoff!

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    What does 'previous' mean? It would seem it refers to a rule change that was implemented this season? In that case, might there not be calculation errors in other programs as well?
    It seems that the GOE for combination lifts was changed in the rules between last season and this season, but that change somehow didn't make it into the sekret computer.

They said that they went back through other results from this season and didn't find another instance where the miscalculation affected the placements.

vCash
    I wonder if Weaver & Poje should have won NHK gold medal over Shibs because of the computer bug.....they did lose by 0.1...they'll have to review all the competitions this year!

Hopefully someone knows more about the details of this error. What element specifically was it, and did they use the wrong GoE multiplication factor, etc?

vCash
    Interesting! So D/W has been beaten this season in something! VM is closer.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 12-29-2011 at 02:46 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Intersting! So D/W has been beaten this season in something! VM is closer.
    V/M and D/W were always very close this season. The difference would've been 0.5 points. Either way, these two teams are going to be neck and neck the entire season and probably all the way to Sochi.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    They said that they went back through other results from this season and didn't find another instance where the miscalculation affected the placements.
    RIGHT!!!

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Placements, sure but what about accurate season and personal best scores? Will they be corrected?

Is there any current avenue for skaters or coaches to protest such errors in relative real time?

vCash
    And I believe that fairies live in the woods and that Donald Trump is going to give me all his money tomorrow.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    they only did random checks of previous events, nothing thorough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shuilee View Post
    I wonder if Weaver & Poje should have won NHK gold medal over Shibs because of the computer bug.....they did lose by 0.1...they'll have to review all the competitions this year!

Hopefully someone knows more about the details of this error. What element specifically was it, and did they use the wrong GoE multiplication factor, etc?
    Weaver and Poje did two simple lifts instead of a combo

vCash
    Interesting...

Imagine if it changed the overall result. I just can't believe things like this happen..

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    they only did random checks of previous events, nothing thorough.
    I should have read a little closer.

As for the rest of it, I said that they said they checked. Not that they actually did.

At any rate, I'm sure everyone, their dog, and their grandmother are re-checking their scores themselves if they think they might benefit.

I wonder what else is wrong in the computer...

vCash
    It would be a simple matter of once you have changed the particular value in the system that you then it would automatically recalculate the results for each event that this applied to. So it is quite feasible that they haven't found any other problems with other events.

However many updates do get issued during the year for the software with various adjustments and corrections. So it is not unusual for this to happen.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    feasible, but this is what the isu wrote:
    The calculation program has been updated immediately after detection of the error and random checks throughout other international results between July 1st, 2011 and today have shown no discrepancies in the final rankings.

vCash
    So how are the ice dancers supposed to be reassured by a "random check"? What if a team's result is wrong and it wasn't one of the results that was randomly chosen? What if a team's placement is correct but the actual score isn't? Yet again, the ISU acts like everyone is supposed to be satisfied with what is really a completely inadequate response.

The ISU needs to go back and recalculate the results of every program in every competition where the sekret computer was programmed with this error. It's the only fair way to resolve the situation.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast