Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Should GPF be moved to after Worlds?

I'm noticing that a lot of the GPF skaters are kinda blowing it or withdrawing from their Nationals. Its pretty unfortunate to see so many top skaters really losing steam after the GP series and final- so many comps in a row really takes a toll. Would it be better to move the final so these skaters can focus on their Nationals and Euros/4CC properly?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    No. Isn't Worlds more important than the GPF to the ISU and the majority of skaters?

vCash
    I don't see any skaters dropping out just because the GPF was too taxing.

vCash
    Oh, I definitely think Worlds is more important. But I don't think later has to = more important. GPF could be a nice relaxing April come-down comp for the Worlds skaters, some to redeem themselves or whatnot. But then there's World Team Trophy too which could complicate things. I dunno, just seems like December turns into burnout month for so many skaters. It's a bummer.

vCash
    No, Worlds is the real final - the "peak" toward which all skaters are building over the season. The GPF would be meaningless afterward.

The GPF provides a motivator for serious participation in the fall's GP events, and in that sense it is useful to the ISU. If skaters anticipate making it to the GPF and are concerned about fatigue, they might need to limit themselves to two GP events, and forego Senior B's.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    nope
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    No.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    No.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Burn outs/withdrawals do not seem like an issue for North American skaters, whose nationals are set for mid-January (Canadian nationals) and late January (US nationals). So it's all a matter of scheduling - I've noticed that majority of European and Japanese nationals are held during the mid-late December.

Trade-off is that European/Japanese skaters have plenty of time to prepare for European/4CC, whereas North American skaters, especially the US skaters have barely two weeks to prepare for 4CC.

So again, it's all matter of scheduling.

vCash
    No

vCash
    No, it's good like this, with a first part, a break with Nationals, then Euros, Olys and Worlds.
    Maybe a team competition after Worlds was a good idea.

vCash
    No, but perhaps the whole GP / GPF can be moved back a little (by, say, 2 weeks?) so top skaters can have more rest between GPF and their own Nationals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No, but perhaps the whole GP / GPF can be moved back a little (by, say, 2 weeks?) so top skaters can have more rest between GPF and their own Nationals?
    If you move it back by 2 weeks, it will be over Christmas. I don't think that would be fair. I don't understand why in Russia plans their nationals over Christmas, although from my own selfish point of view I like it because at least we can watch it. Not sure if the skaters like it though! In Japan it is over Christmas too but as far as I know they don't celebrate christmas anyway because they are not Christian country.

Actually, if you want to achieve more time between their nationals and GP events, you would have to either move the nationals to later (which may not be possible because there is some deadline for submitting names for Europeans) or move the whole GP evebnts including the final to earlier, which is also not possible because before GP events are junior GP events. And if you move the JPG events too, the whole season will be longer and the time between seasons shorter. Less time to rest.
    Last edited by hanca; 12-28-2011 at 04:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I agree with this. Worlds is the biggest competition of the season, so it should be the final competition. I have seen skaters withdrawing from GPF for either health reasons or a family crisis like in Mao's case. Other than that, I think skaters really want to compete at GPF, and most would welcome more rest before their own nationals. Four CC may be a competition that needs to its schedule though. It's just too close to worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    If you move it back by 2 weeks, it will be over Christmas. I don't think that would be fair. I don't understand why in Russia plans their nationals over Christmas, although from my own selfish point of view I like it because at least we can watch it. Not sure if the skaters like it though! In Japan it is over Christmas too but as far as I know they don't celebrate christmas anyway because they are not Christian country.
    est.
    Russian orthodox Christmas is later in the year - they don't have christmas at this time.

vCash
    No, in the case that it could be taking place after worlds, then many of the top skaters would end up withdrawing of the event

The GPrix and GPF are the first half of the season to debut programs, get feedback, make adjustments towards the ´real deal´ that is nationals-europeans-4cc-worlds

vCash
    No, in the case that it could be taking place after worlds, then many of the top skaters would end up withdrawing of the event

The GPrix and GPF are the first half of the season to debut programs, get feedback, make adjustments towards the ´real deal´ that is nationals-europeans-4cc-worlds

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    No but I do think US Nationals should be moved... lol

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    No. Remember when the GPF was in February/March and many skaters used to withdraw because it was too close to Worlds/4ccs/Euros. And it made little sense having it then. After Worlds, which is the "climax" of a non-Olympic year it would be silly. That's when they go on tours/take a break etc.

It makes logical sense to have the fall as the GP season, with the GPF as the final event. Then the Nationals in December/January, then the "continental" championships, then Worlds. It's a logical buildup to the biggest competition.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I don't see any skaters dropping out just because the GPF was too taxing.
    Look closer.

Quote Originally Posted by mineko View Post
    Burn outs/withdrawals do not seem like an issue for North American skaters, whose nationals are set for mid-January (Canadian nationals) and late January (US nationals). So it's all a matter of scheduling - I've noticed that majority of European and Japanese nationals are held during the mid-late December.

Trade-off is that European/Japanese skaters have plenty of time to prepare for European/4CC, whereas North American skaters, especially the US skaters have barely two weeks to prepare for 4CC.

So again, it's all matter of scheduling.
    I don't think it's all about scheduling.

If a skater has a reason to show up at nationals (say: the federation won't be too inclined on looking the other way, the athlete has to prove himself/herself, money is at stake), the skater shows up whatever the schedule is.
    Infact, Japanese nationals are always full roster, even though japanese skaters are often in the GPF.

That said: having too many events and too little time to rest and train isn't going to keep skaters healthy, nor is going to improve figure skating as a sport.

ISU should see what their ultimate goal is: whether to have fans entartained pratically all year long, or fewer events and higher skating quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast