Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

If it's Dec 26th, then it must be World Jrs.

Yep folks, it's that time of year again when some of us look forward to watching young men battle it out for the World Juniors Cup.

Good Canuck that I am, I watched some of the pre-comp games for Canada, but I missed most of the one where they were completely dominated by Sweden.

Tourny opened yesterday (Monday the 26th) and watched Canada mow down Finland. Had to be tough on the Finns as I'm sure they thought they were better than they way they played.

Took a quick peek at the U.S. game and saw they were trounching their opponents 10-3. OUCH! What a spanking.

So ... is anyone besides me watching these games?
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    *raises hand* I'm watching too. USA beat Denmark 11-3 last night. One of the commentators said that the Danish goalie that got pulled wasn't bad, but that he was seriously outclassed. I have a feeling this will be a theme throughout the tournament.

Go USA!

vCash
    I'm watching! Fingers crossed we don't blow the gold medal game 3 years running.

My husband and I are determined to get to a tourny soon. He went to 2009 with friends and it's the best tournament to watch live he said.

vCash
    I'm watching! I love the World Jrs.

Mr. Habs and I were at the pre-tourney Canada/Sweden game. I think the Swedes are serious contenders to win this year. Just... wow.

Mr. Habs is at USA/Finland right now with his dad, and we have tickets to Finland/Czech on Saturday afternoon. Can't wait!

vCash
    Oh Habs ... I am soooo jealous. But in a good way. I don't begrude you being there, only wish I were. Maybe in a couple years when it comes back to Canada.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Oh Habs ... I am soooo jealous. But in a good way. I don't begrude you being there, only wish I were. Maybe in a couple years when it comes back to Canada.
    We had been hoping to buy all-event tickets but Hockey Canada screwed up with its lottery draw (Mr. Habs was drawn to purchase tickets, but by the time it was his pre-allotted time to purchase, it was sold out).

Instead, we bought a few games from friends, which has worked out well. Loving it - can't wait for Saturday!

vCash
    Well colour me shocked that the U.S. team won't be playing for a chance at a medal. It seemed they had a decent enough game going against the Czechs yesterday and then ... the wheels just fell off. I felt bad for those boys but considering how much penalty time the Czechs had to kill off, they deserved the win. Had to chuckle a bit at the antics of their crazy tender and his celebration of goals. He needs to be a bit careful or he may find that he's hurting someone else or even himself.

May I also add that I wasn't keen on Canadian fans booing against the U.S. I realize that they might have had hard feelings about being beaten a few years ago and that the rivalry between the two countries is BIG but I still cringe when that kind of thing happens.

OK, here's to a great game this evening for Team Canada.

GO CANADA GO!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I could not believe that the US team completely fell apart against the Czechs yesterday.

That Czech goalie was going into Braden Holtby levels of annoying behavior towards the end of the game. I understand it was a huge win for him and his team, but that didn't exactly seem kosher to me. YMMV of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quintia View Post
    I could not believe that the US team completely fell apart against the Czechs yesterday.

That Czech goalie was going into Braden Holtby levels of annoying behavior towards the end of the game. I understand it was a huge win for him and his team, but that didn't exactly seem kosher to me. YMMV of course.
    Yeah, that same goalie was somewhat annoying with the fist pumping when he made a good save during the game against Canada. I understand about being pumped but it seemed OTT last night against the American team.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Yeah, that same goalie was somewhat annoying with the fist pumping when he made a good save during the game against Canada. I understand about being pumped but it seemed OTT last night against the American team.
    He was pretty subdued in the loss to Finland on Saturday.

What an AMAZING finish to the Sweden vs Russia game on New Year's Eve. That was one for the ages.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Anyone else watching Russia vs Czech Republic?

This one's turning into quite the game.

Sorry I haven't been around until now. To say I was sick over the Holidays is like saying Canada's only slightly interested in the World Jrs. I slept through most of the game on Boxing Day. As my Nephew said, you know I'm *really* not well when...

GO CANADA GO!!!

vCash
    I was trying to watch the third period of the Russia/Czech game last evening but didn't make it to the end of that 20 minutes of play let alone the OT. I must confess I fell asleep but ... I did wake up to see the Russian flag being raised as they played the national anthem. Hmmm ... not sure how I feel about a Canadian/Russian match up only because of last year. Then again, not sure if I wanted to see the Czech goalie again. Hmmmm, toss up for me.

Sooooo, it's Canada vs Russia to see who plays for gold and who plays for bronze. I will be watching the game as I "follow" my daughter's flight online as she returns back to school in Halifax. Hoping that they shovel out of the dumping of snow that has taken place in London, ONT so that her flight is on time. Here where we live, just a dusting of snow on the ground -- banana belt area is one nickname we call where I live
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    What a game this Finland/Sweden Semi has turned into and we're headed to a Shoot out...

vCash
    I felt so bad for the Finns after the shoot out finished. I was kinda/sorta hoping they would make it to the gold medal game.

That being said, I am heart-sick with the Canada/Russia score right now. It's 2-0 in favour of Russia after 20 minutes of play and the stars of the period are the refs. Their names should be inconsistency 1 and inconsistency 2.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Yes!!! Canada scores!
    Sigh - and then Russia comes back with another goal.

vCash
    and another.
    Funny the 2 teams that had a rest yesterday look like they'll be playing for bronze.

vCash
    Well...They didn't lie down and give up, but...

Stupid penalties killed us and I *knew* if that wasn't cleaned up before tonight, it'd come back to bite us. Sure enough...

vCash
    That Canada/Russia game was awesome and completely bananas.

vCash
    Methinks we should learn to sell penalties better, especially when hit by one of our own players. Stay down on the ice til a whistle goes. Follow an official and MAKE them look at the "blood" on your face. The officiating stank - again.

Canada needed to play 60 minutes of their kind of hockey. They looked scared and then gave up goals. We also need a goaltender or two who can WIN and come up with big and outstanding saves when needed. Seemed neither of our two shone in that department compared to the Russian goalie.

Kudos for finally figuring out how to find the back of the net. Unfortunately, it was too little too late. Needed to have found that touch early. If Canada had gotten that first goal, it might have been different. I also think it might have made a big difference if we would have had availble to us those young men playing in the NHL whose teams wouldn't let them compete in this tournament. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. I know.

Anyway, go get that bronze boys. Still proud of the way you played.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    and another.
    Funny the 2 teams that had a rest yesterday look like they'll be playing for bronze.
    That is until I woke up today and realized Finland didn't winI think I felt so bad for them losing the 2-0 lead and in the shootout that I blocked the Swedish win out. Oh well. Nice try Canada. I must admit I thought we'd pack it in I'm proud of them they didn't and almost pulled it off. Now go for bronze!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast