Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Going on diet soon
    vCash

Armin moves to Colorado

Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

vCash
    I posted the article in the "Holiday Dreams on Ice" show thread in GSD but more people are likely to open this thread. I've also mentioned the news in both the US Ladies and Men's threads in the Trash Can.

vCash
    So who is still being coached by Priscilla Hill?

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Her raccoon furs and possum earrings?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    So who is still being coached by Priscilla Hill?
    See my post in the US Men's thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=714
    I think Viktor Pfeifer is still with Hill?

Banned Member
    vCash
    He sounds kinda desperate in the article.

vCash
    "I'm looking for some stability in my training, and I think Colorado will give me that,"
    Huh. Kinda makes me wonder if something is going on with Priscilla Hill, or with the rinks she coaches at?

He *did* give up a spot at Dartmouth to continue skating. . . that's a big sacrifice.

Anyway: The thread title gave me that he was going to Tom Z, which woulda been a disaster. . . thankfully, he's not.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Considering that he mocked Laura Lepisto for her technical content when she won World bronze in 2010, he hasn't exactly been skating up a storm this year:

Skate America 2011 TES
    SP: 33.60
    FS: 61.12*

NHK 2011 TES:
    SP: 33.72
    FS: 56.87*

*With one more jumping pass than Ladies and 30 more seconds to fit in transitions. The difference in base between L2 and L3 CH step sequence (.3-1.3) is essentially negated by doubling the value for each GOE step. (Mahbahnoozadeh was never a two-L4 step kind of guy.)

Lepisto 2010 Worlds TES:
    SP: 34.98
    FS: 54.24

Although his FS totals in 2011 were greater than Lepisto's total of 114.32, as a Men's skater, he received almost 12 points alone in his Skate America FS and a little over 11 at NHK for the 20% higher PCS factor that Men are given, and his base PCS score was lower than Lepisto's base PCS score. Were all things equal, his FS scores this year would not have surpassed Lepisto's 2010 Worlds FS total.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Quadless
    vCash
    I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, as Armin hasn't won a World bronze with his current content, has he? He's struggling, he has acknowledged that he's struggling, and he's making changes to try to turn things around. What does a comment that he made almost two years ago have to do with his current situation?
    Last edited by BittyBug; 12-29-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Typos
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I'm stunned by this news. We'll miss him on the east coast , but I do hope this all works out all for the best for him. Hope he Skates great @ US Nationals next month!

vCash
    He has a lot to offer skating and I hope he does well. The article mentioned a laser-like focus on Nationals and the Quad. I think he see the writing on the wall and is desperate to overcome being left behind. We will see if that strategy motivates him properly or will creates bigger psych issues. He doesn't have a lot of time between now and Nats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Considering that he mocked Laura Lepisto for her technical content when she won World bronze in 2010, he hasn't exactly been skating up a storm this year:
    Considering that it was over a year ago and he has since apologized why drag it back up again ?

vCash
    Don't think "desperation" figures into it. Living and training at the OTC offers so many advantages, including an environment that encourages even greater achievement & focus, that as is mentioned in the article Armin thinks it can be a benefit to his particular situation and he owes it to himself to try it.

vCash
    Armin must do what he must do. Hmmm....this is a bit sad for Priscilla Hill. Her training style -- more 'pal' than 'coach,' as evidenced on the Johnny Weir reality show -- doesn't seem to be helping her students, unless they are incredibly disciplined on their own. I may be wrong, as I don't follow her non-elite (younger) pupils.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Considering the disappointment he must have felt coming off of his Grand Prix events, IMO he did the right thing. That is, to shake things up and find a way to get fresh motivation. Armin is a very well rounded young man with opportunities to pursue many paths in life, and one gets the sense that he has a fighting spirit. One may use the word "desperate" but this seems harsh/pessimistic. I think more along the lines of "courageous" frankly. It takes a lot for anyone to make big changes, and he sounds like someone determined to end his season (whether it ends at Nationals or beyond) with no regrets.

The level of competition in men's is so intense, with differences that contribute to points between them, razor thin. A bold approach, fresh programs, and renewed energy could be just what he needs to feel completely satisfied that he has done everything that he can do heading into arguably the most important (as it determines US team envelopes, and perspectives on next season's international assignments) competition of his season.

Ironically, it makes me wonder whether Brandon will see something positive in this as well. Seeing another practice partner approach training with renewed motivation can either be deflating or inspiring. Hopefully it will be the latter for him as well.

vCash
    Thanks for opening this thread, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I really love Armin's skating and hope he can do better in the future than at his recent GPs, (though I thought he was underscored there).
    It is a tough field he is in and I hope he does not regret giving up his university place too much.
    About Priscilla Hill: I think German skater Christopher Berneck is/was with her (he is currently injured as far as I gathered)

vCash
    I hope that Armin finds what he needs/is looking for.
    I admire him very much and would like him to have a chance at the success he has worked so hard to achieve.

Banned Member
    vCash

Armin

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Considering the disappointment he must have felt coming off of his Grand Prix events, IMO he did the right thing. That is, to shake things up and find a way to get fresh motivation. Armin is a very well rounded young man with opportunities to pursue many paths in life, and one gets the sense that he has a fighting spirit. One may use the word "desperate" but this seems harsh/pessimistic. I think more along the lines of "courageous" frankly. It takes a lot for anyone to make big changes, and he sounds like someone determined to end his season (whether it ends at Nationals or beyond) with no regrets.
    The level of competition in men's is so intense, with differences that contribute to points between them, razor thin. A bold approach, fresh programs, and renewed energy could be just what he needs to feel completely satisfied that he has done everything that he can do heading into arguably the most important (as it determines US team envelopes, and perspectives on next season's international assignments) competition of his season.

Ironically, it makes me wonder whether Brandon will see something positive in this as well. Seeing another practice partner approach training with renewed motivation can either be deflating or inspiring. Hopefully it will be the latter for him as well.
    IMO it's the right thing to for Armin to go to Colorado. Why wait so late. You can sugar coat it but it's still desperation. Comments lilke:

"I needed a place where I could really train as hard as I could for nationals," "I have a lot of work to do, but I'm looking forward to skating with all of the great skaters there and improving myself and having a good end to the season."
    "I'm hoping that we all work off each other's energy and just get better,"
    "I'm looking for some stability in my training, and I think Colorado will give me that," "I owe it to myself to train well. My training this season has just been not what I imagined at all, to be honest. I am looking forward to just working as hard as I can for nationals."

"He's out here to stay focused and become the best skater he can be,"

"My main focus now, without a doubt, is the quad toe,"

The skater is also working with choreographer Lindgren to revamp his free skate, set to a selection of music from the Kill Bill soundtrack.

"There will be some music changes in the long; we are rearranging some [musical] pieces," he said. "We took the critique that I got in the Grand Prix Series, and some pieces weren't working as well as we hoped, so we're going to be replacing with some fresh music."

"The amount of time I have is so short, the singular focus is on nationals," he said. "I'm not looking past that right now.

He is staying at the Olympic training center on a temp basis. This is USFSA trying to Fix it fast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by winterone View Post
    IMO it's the right thing to for Armin to go to Colorado. Why wait so late. You can sugar coat it but it's still desperation.
    In your opinion it's a desperate move. Others don't see it that way.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I guess we will see won't we.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast