Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkura View Post
    In 2003 Europeans this program with 7 clean triples and two double axels (The same jump layout as Ito in 88) was only good enough for 5th place in the FP and 7th overall. I wonder if anyone except Slutskaya and Kostner has skated a 7 triple FS in Europeans since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYNAULzExA
    Alisa Drei with the same program wouldn't win a medal at Euros, even later under CoP. She was a nice skater who worked really hard and has improved over the years, but her basics were not really good.

vCash
    At the same Euros Carolina skated this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28djAK9g4-0

But I prefer her today, she is now a real lady and not a junior and skate with so much freedom.
    I like to watch at ladies and I don't think the field is weaker now then in the past. The roles changes and I prefer a real Lutz and a real Flip to be awarded properly and not an underrotated or wrong edge jump to get almost the same points. I think Leonovas three 3F programs should be penalized more.
    I think Carolina Kostners programs are really worth to be seen many times and if she wins it is why she deserves it

vCash
    I think Code of Points has actually made other disciplines more interesting. Ladies has become more unforgiving on the technical front, but Dance especially has blossomed. As better athletes have been gettnig rewarded in Dance, it is drawing eyes and attention from ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Sneaky, with 2011 drawing to a close, no competitions left...empty promise...
    Ha. OK, I revise it:

If Kiira Korpi - Loves_Shizuka's favourite Euro lady - lands seven triples in her LP in Sheffield, he will purchase large quanitites of the finest bolly and Moet going for all his FSU friends

vCash
    Wait--there was a time when ladies skating was interesting?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Ha. OK, I revise it:

If Kiira Korpi - Loves_Shizuka's favourite Euro lady - lands seven triples in her LP in Sheffield, he will purchase large quanitites of the finest bolly and Moet going for all his FSU friends
    Define "FSU friend".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I think Code of Points has actually made other disciplines more interesting. Ladies has become more unforgiving on the technical front, but Dance especially has blossomed. As better athletes have been gettnig rewarded in Dance, it is drawing eyes and attention from ladies.

I have to disagree. The only discipline that has become more interesting is men; they are no longer relying 100% on the jumps (although it would be nice if they landed them more often ). Better judging will help though. Only reward what is actually done in the competition.

I used to love pairs; I am luke warm toward them, with most pairs doing the same DS, the same 3TW, and basically counting points without any relation to the music, posture or lines.

It is the same way in the ladies- everyone trying to do either the Biellman or catchfood spin. Asada and Kim are exceptions rather than the rule when it comes to artistry. Carolina has more artistry now, but at what cost? She has diluted her jump content.

Ice dance is interesting, but it has lost its elegance. I loved watching skaters like K&P, U&Z, K&O and even G&P. Sometimes it's nice to watch relatively simple moves done with deep edges, lines and speed. V&M and D&W are very good but then the quality drops off. Still, I do agree that there are more interesting things in ice dance, may be because they are required to come up with original moves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Wait--there was a time when ladies skating was interesting?
    I started watching FS in 1988 and yes, ladies skating was interesting. That lasted until very recently (2010 worlds). That's a very long period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Define "FSU friend".
    Any FSUer who fulfills at least one of the following criteria:

1) A Shizuka uber
    2) A Kiira uber
    3) A Leonova uber
    4) Alcoholics
    5) Anyone who owns/wears bumbags on a regular basis
    6) Any remaining fans of: Rahkamo/Kokko, Drobiazko/Vanagas, DelSchoes, A/P or P/B.
    7) Fans of white boots
    8) Anyone who secretly enjoys Ksenia Makarova's take on Marilyn Monroe.
    9) The members of the Olga Markova Appreciation Society
    10) Fans of the Golden Girls.

vCash
    Check to #7 and #10, and I would pray for -skeptics were I a believer and/or a genuinely nice person, so I do qualify.

vCash
    f_d has joined the list. And a very good list it is too.

vCash

1) A Shizuka uber
    2) A Kiira uber
    3) A Leonova uber
    4) Alcoholics
    6) Any remaining fans of: Rahkamo/Kokko, Drobiazko/Vanagas, DelSchoes, A/P or P/B.
    7) Fans of white boots

Well you have me on 1,6,7,8,9,10. Not bad. Can I be your FSU friend?

vCash

1) A Shizuka uber
    2) A Kiira uber
    3) A Leonova uber
    4) Alcoholics
    7) Fans of white boots

Not quite 1 (fan, but not uber); 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Call me crazy. But if you ask me. I think it also has to do with being able to spot more now. As there now looking for (I forgot what they called it. What they started using before I believe the 2010 Olympics. That's been making it harder for skaters to make the Podium). I know this. Because I know Rachael is a GREAT Skater....and even though she went. She didn't place like the Rachael we all know and love. Just my oinion though.

vCash
    I'm really mourning the short program spiral sequence for the ladies. That was the ladies' chance to show their edgework and control, and shine up to the audience. When I look back on my favorite ladies' short programs, it's always the spiral sequence I remember. Now the programs are all twisty turny, with no room to breathe and connect to the audience.

I hate to add more rules to the C.O.P. but I feel like there should be a time limit for footwork sequences so they're forced to cover more ice and actually skate. If they did that, and cut a spin out of the short program, there'd definitely be enough time for the spiral sequence.

vCash
    I love that spin qualities and difficulties have improved markedly, but I mourn the cookie cutter spins.

I love that footwork is becoming more difficult and important, but I mourn the lack of speed and the unclear pattern.

vCash
    ^ Well it could be fixed if there was a time limit for step sequences.

vCash
    I'd like to see a flat value for step sequences, like they've done with spirals. If that doesn't take care of things, then either a specific pattern requirement or a time limit, or both.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I'd like to see a flat value for step sequences, like they've done with spirals. If that doesn't take care of things, then either a specific pattern requirement or a time limit, or both.
    Coco for ISU President.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Especially in the FPs. I don't mind so much in the sp. I'd also like to see a flat score for spins in the FP for singles. Let them do a minimum of 3, maximum of 5. Maybe then we'd see beautiful positions and blurred scratch spins again.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast