Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    vCash
    ^ I'm not saying that's the reason they judge though... I'm saying that's one of the perks that comes with becoming a judge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Blame the boring dull music that most skaters seem to pick these days and many of them do not know how to skate to it. And no-one has charisma nor chemistry which is what gets people sucked into a sport.
    This. Not only does everyone want to use Swan Lake, they always use the same darn cuts. Hello, Swan Lake has four acts; surely one can mix it up and not just use the same old "daaaaa, da da da da daaaaa da daaaaa...." They just figure that portion of the music is so powerful they don't have to add any interpretation to it. I'm not sure if it's skater-driven or if the choreographer encourages skaters to use the laziest musical selections.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    ^^That's one thing I really loved about the Michelle/Lori combination. They chose music that people hadn't skated to much or hadn't really been skated to at all, or pieced together the music differently (and seamlessly) so that it sounded as if it were a completely new piece.

That's why I really appreciate Carolina Kostner's programs this year. The music choice is not popular and it's a little bit odd...something you normally wouldn't imagine someone would skate to. With the ridiculously gargantuan selection of music in the world, you'd think we'd hear something other than Carmen, Scheherazade, Swan Lake, the same three Rachmaninoff pieces, Aranjuez, and Tosca every single season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ^ I'm not saying that's the reason they judge though... I'm saying that's one of the perks that comes with becoming a judge.
    So sitting there concentrating for hours on end is a perk? And spending thousands of dollars to be a volunteer is a perk?

Well as you consider it is a perk, then maybe after all the volunteer hours that most judges put into the sport, not just judging competitions but tests and giving feedback to help skaters, along with many other volunteer roles in the clubs and associations that many judges do, maybe they are entitled to some perks.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 01-05-2012 at 02:34 AM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567