View Poll Results: Which was the greatest performance of a program by a ladies singles skater ever?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midori ito - 1989 World Championships - LP

47 18.36%
  • Katarina Witt - 1987 World Championships - LP

4 1.56%
  • Kim Yu-Na - 2010 Olympics - SP

36 14.06%
  • Michelle Kwan - 1998 US Nationals - LP

96 37.50%
  • Janet Lynn - 1970 US Nationals - LP

8 3.13%
  • Tara Lipinski - 1998 Olympics - LP

14 5.47%
  • Oksana Baiul - 1994 Olympics - LP

5 1.95%
  • Kristi Yamaguchi - 1992 US Nationals - LP

6 2.34%
  • Elizabeth Manley - 1988 Olympics - LP

8 3.13%
  • Denise Biellmann - 1981 World Championships - LP

2 0.78%
  • Other

30 11.72%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Click the link?

Joannie Rochette's free skate from the 2009 Canadian Championships. Perfection
    I would if I could. Joannie is so much better in person it is unreal.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Midori's 7 triples vs. Manley's 3...? Liz's 4th attempted triple (loop) was two-footed, so it did not count at all according to the rules of the day! Plus none of Manley's triples were in combination or even in sequence...
    Yeah, Liz's 3loop looked 2 footed to me too. I think Ito should have won the LP beyond a doubt, and 2nd in the OP. Liz had the performance of her life, but everything Liz did, Midori did better or more. Liz had one 3toe not in combo, Ito did a 3toe/3toe. Liz had one sal not in combo, Ito did a 2axel-1/2loop-3sal and another 3sal at the end. Liz did a telegraphed 2footed 3loop, Ito entered it after a spread eagle and IMMEDIATELY went into flying camel after it. Both lutzes were excellent, but Ito's had more height and distance. Ito also ruled on spins and footwork.

I didn't think Liz was that developed much in her presentation and I certainly don't see her as being more than a tenth over Ito. But Liz had a powerful figure skating association behind her and the home crowd...

Team Ito, here.

vCash
    Midori. I would think that any of the 3 of 1988 Olympics, 1989 World's or 1990 World's were the best. Any of those programs took my breath away... and Michelle's National's is after those. And then Lu Chen's 1996 Edmonton World's after or equal to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    And why Oksana Baiul's LP ? Empty program, just crossover crossover jump, pause, crossover crossover, jump, pause ..., plus scratchy landings.

My vote goes to other : Michelle Kwan 2001 Worlds LP
    I completely agree.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I would say, Shizuka Arakawa - 2004 World Championships Free Skate

Due the 6.0 system, placements and "saving" room for the other skaters; a few judges had the nerve to give Shizuka 5.7 for Technical merit. She the remaining skaters including my beloved Michelle was going to be better than Shizuka's skate technically.

I would have loved to see Shizuka under CoP. MONSTER Scoring she would have received. No under-rotations and edge deductions for her skating.

Shizuka is one of the best skaters in the history of ladies. Fabulous jumps, edges, musicality and grace.

I don't know Shizuka does get more "props"
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    If I use the criteria "biggest perceived gap between 1st and 2nd ranked freeskate" to answer the question, then I go with either of Midori Ito's 1989 or 1990 World Championship Long Programs...the gap between her performance and both Claudia Leistner (1989) and Jill Trenary (1990) was quite huge (although some judges in 1990 only placed Jill 0.1 behind Midori total in the LP)

vCash
    Wanda Beazel, 1987 Worlds.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    ^ LOL. I forgot about Wanda. I loved the particular one when she fell onto the boards in her spiral.

vCash
    Everything about that program was pure win. Thomas was brilliant.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Just a quick note to say thank you to everybody for your fascinating contributions. Read some excellent suggestions on some other very worthy contenders for best ever such as Chen Lu's 1996 Worlds LP, Arakawa's 2004 Worlds LP, Slutskaya's 2005 Worlds LP, and several others. Also, had several suggestions on alternative programs re Michelle's and Midori's best. Ultimately, it comes down to opinion and taste at the end of the day and I've certainly enjoyed reading the opinions expressed

Thanks
    Last edited by Maofan7; 12-29-2011 at 02:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post

Due the 6.0 system, placements and "saving" room for the other skaters; a few judges had the nerve to give Shizuka 5.7 for Technical merit. She the remaining skaters including my beloved Michelle was going to be better than Shizuka's skate technically.

I would have loved to see Shizuka under CoP. MONSTER Scoring she would have received. No under-rotations and edge deductions for her skating.

Shizuka is one of the best skaters in the history of ladies. Fabulous jumps, edges, musicality and grace.

I remember Shizuka was a lipper.
    So maybe, under COP she would have got inconsistent flip(after an overhaul) or omitted filp from layout, just like Ando.

vCash
    Nobody's mentioned Tonya Harding at all in this thread???

Two of her performances--her '91 Nationals LP and her '91 Skate America LP--are definitely candidates for greatest performances of all time. And way up near the top of the list to boot IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post

You know, some judges put Michelle Kwan ahead of Shizuka Arakawa in the LP. (I'm an MK fan, but honestly, Shizuka deserved to be ahead).

Shizuka competed under CoP, she won the first Olympic title under CoP.
    But she was a bad lipper, and her 3/3 were not always fully rotated, I think this is why she didn't attempt 3/3 at 2006 Olympics (this + massive pressure !)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    You know, some judges put Michelle Kwan ahead of Shizuka Arakawa in the LP. (I'm an MK fan, but honestly, Shizuka deserved to be ahead).
    Actually, the biggest mysteries of the 2004 Ladies FS (IMO) is, first, how each judge voted (d*** anonymous judging) and then, that some judges put Sasha ahead of Shizuka in the LP, or, at least, failed to leave enough room between Sasha and Shizuka. If the judges who put Michelle in first were the same ones who had put Sasha first (or failed to leave enough room), then the judging makes some sense, in that Michelle deserved to be ahead of Sasha, and the judges had boxed themselves in.

vCash

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    And where is Shizuka from 2004?!

Pfff, I am outraged. I am off to kill a kitten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    It has to be done.

((()))

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    It has to be done.

((()))
    Oh jeez and I just saw Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. Poor kitty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    It has to be done.

((()))
    I think we might be on the same page. You will be getting some Moet, my friend!

vCash
    For some Moet, I'll supply the kitten.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Since an SP was included in this poll, this program should be considered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=fVPlMwqh0pY

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast