View Poll Results: Which was the greatest performance of a program by a ladies singles skater ever?

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midori ito - 1989 World Championships - LP

47 18.36%
  • Katarina Witt - 1987 World Championships - LP

4 1.56%
  • Kim Yu-Na - 2010 Olympics - SP

36 14.06%
  • Michelle Kwan - 1998 US Nationals - LP

96 37.50%
  • Janet Lynn - 1970 US Nationals - LP

8 3.13%
  • Tara Lipinski - 1998 Olympics - LP

14 5.47%
  • Oksana Baiul - 1994 Olympics - LP

5 1.95%
  • Kristi Yamaguchi - 1992 US Nationals - LP

6 2.34%
  • Elizabeth Manley - 1988 Olympics - LP

8 3.13%
  • Denise Biellmann - 1981 World Championships - LP

2 0.78%
  • Other

30 11.72%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I had not watched Michelle's 98 LP in quite a while and I teared up at the end and had major chills. It was really one for the ages, wasn't it???
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Excuse me, but the skater who delivered the best free skate at the 1988 Olympics was Liz Manley. I'm sorry, but that simply eclipsed Midori on the night. What were you watching??? Midori was very good, but nowhere near as good as she was a year later.
    ABC, and I did not know the difference between triple jumps, but I knew Midori had the hardest program, which would have won in any other sport.

What were you watching that night?

vCash
    Excuse me, but the skater who delivered the best free skate at the 1988 Olympics was Liz Manley. I'm sorry, but that simply eclipsed Midori on the night. What were you watching??? Midori was very good, but nowhere near as good as she was a year later.
    Midori's 7 triples vs. Manley's 3...? Liz's 4th attempted triple (loop) was two-footed, so it did not count at all according to the rules of the day! Plus none of Manley's triples were in combination or even in sequence...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I had not watched Michelle's 98 LP in quite a while and I teared up at the end and had major chills. It was really one for the ages, wasn't it???
    Definitely.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Somebody mentioned Shizuka from 2004. I recall that program vividly. Don't know if it compares to quite the heights of these other programs, but it was gorgeous. Someone mentioned it, so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xzGdVragbo

Funny-no Sasha Cohen on this thread? She's not my cup of tea, but I thought she did have some influence on women's skating and put down at least one program where she didn't wind up a human zamboni....didn't she? She was unique and beautiful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    1. Nobody else on the list had a 3A and nobody else had a 2A-3S, so all Midori's performances were a cut above the rest for the 1980s through 2010s.
    Completely agree with your entire post.

Some good points, but for me the 1989 Worlds LP remains Midori's best. For sheer impact and awe, it was stunning.
    I'm glad you put in the "for me" part. I loved Midori's 1989 performance, but for me, 1988 Olys LP was the greatest.

Unfortunately here, you get a bit rude. In your opinion, Liz had the best free skate. In my opinion, I hated Liz's skating style, she did not perform near as many great jumps as Midori (not just triples, but doubles made more difficult by entries and arm positions), Midori was a superior spinner, and I preferred Midori's presentation to Liz's, which I thought downright ugly. But's that just my opinion, I would never stoop to saying "What were you watching???" Beauty is in the eye and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny81 View Post
    You know what? Everybody has their own cup of tea.
    Therefore, each person's taste will be different.
    You may not agree with that but you should respect other's taste.
    Because it's just their own taste. Am i right?
    Exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Midori's 7 triples vs. Manley's 3...? Liz's 4th attempted triple (loop) was two-footed, so it did not count at all according to the rules of the day! Plus none of Manley's triples were in combination or even in sequence...
    Didn't Liz land 5 triples? lutz, loop, 1 or 2 3toes and 1 or 2 3sals?? I don't think she would've been placed in front of Witt and Ito with only 3 triples ..

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Didn't Liz land 5 triples? lutz, loop, 1 or 2 3toes and 1 or 2 3sals?? I don't think she would've been placed in front of Witt and Ito with only 3 triples ..
    No, she landed only four - lutz, loop, salchow and toe loop. I must admit I did not see any double-footing on the loop, and it seems the judges did not either. But in any case it was enough to put her above Witt, two of whose triples were easier.

Of course Midori should have won the whole thing.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    I can't think of just one, so here's a handful of "honorable mention" performances:

Tenley Albright, 1953 US Nats FS (Who else in the world skated like that at the time?)
    Peggy Fleming, 1968 US Nats FS
    Chen Lu, 1994 NHK FS
    Michelle Kwan, 2000 Worlds FS
    Kim Yu-Na, 2007 Worlds SP (Danse Macabre is more sophisticated, eys. I just prefer certain elements here--the combination, spiral and step sequences, double axel, even the flying sit--to those from 2009 Worlds.)
    Mao Asada, 2010 Olympics SP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Funny-no Sasha Cohen on this thread? She's not my cup of tea, but I thought she did have some influence on women's skating and put down at least one program where she didn't wind up a human zamboni....didn't she? She was unique and beautiful.
    Hehe, see 1st page
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    I like Sasha's Marshell's 2004 LP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouNL5ux17c4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Chen Lu 1996 Worlds FS
    While I believe that the greatest performance ever goes to one of Midori's programs (can't make up my mind which one though), and I think Kwan had performances better than this one ('98 Nats; Worlds FS in both '00 and '01) I also believe that the 1996 Worlds battle between Lu and Kwan is the greatest competition of all time. IMO, the appropriate result would have been calling it a tie, with duplicate golds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    ....I also believe that the 1996 Worlds battle between Lu and Kwan is the greatest competition of all time. IMO, the appropriate result would have been calling it a tie, with duplicate golds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    I also believe that the 1996 Worlds battle between Lu and Kwan is the greatest competition of all time. IMO, the appropriate result would have been calling it a tie, with duplicate golds.
    It would have been so good.
    Anyway, IMO, the best competition was 1998 Olympics in Nagano.
    With Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan, Lu Chen, Maria Butyrskaya, Irina Slutskaya all fighting. I wish they called it a tie for gold and silver, as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Hehe, see 1st page
    Oops! My bad. But it is strange (to me anyway) that there's not more about her on this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    But it is strange (to me anyway) that there's not more about her on this thread.
    It's a Free Skate thread, that's why!

I almost never vote in polls like this, but I think Janet Lynn's 1971 Worlds Free Skate () should be on this list, even if there isn't a complete video of it posted on Youtube.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I almost never vote in polls like this, but I think Janet Lynn's 1971 Worlds Free Skate () should be on this list, even if there isn't a complete video of it posted on Youtube.
    I will NEVER forget that episode of Wide World of Sports. I will never forget the chanting of the French crowd demanding that Janet, although she finished 4th overall, come to the boards and wave because they were so upset she finished off the podium. It was a beautiful free skate.

My favorite competitive program of Janet's was 1973 US Nationals LP. Her musical interpretation here is divine.

But my favorite overall free skate of Janet's is her 1971 Worlds Exhibition skate. x infinity

vCash
    All of these are great choices and great performances of the past and we all have our own opinions of what we consider the greatest. My pick would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uTvFa396g

I was in the front row for this performance and it was absolutely stunning. There was so much emotion and heart in this performance, it was technically perfect, but you could feel the crowd and her connecting with this performance. There were so many people in tears. I was also near the front for her flawless skate at 2010 Nationals in the free, while that was just as amazing, it didn't quite have the emotional reach that this one did.
    Kyle

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    All of these are great choices and great performances of the past and we all have our own opinions of what we consider the greatest. My pick would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uTvFa396g

I was in the front row for this performance and it was absolutely stunning. There was so much emotion and heart in this performance, it was technically perfect, but you could feel the crowd and her connecting with this performance. There were so many people in tears. I was also near the front for her flawless skate at 2010 Nationals in the free, while that was just as amazing, it didn't quite have the emotional reach that this one did.
    ... who is that....

vCash
    Click the link?

Joannie Rochette's free skate from the 2009 Canadian Championships. Perfection
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    It's a Free Skate thread, that's why!
    Oh, I thought it just said "a program...."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast