Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    "The rule of the minimum score required for skater to participate in European and World Championships, which was adopted not long ago, is directed against weak athletes,” Aleksandr Gorshkov, head of Russia’s Figures Skating Federation told R-Sport news agency. “Its idea is to filter out those skaters so that the level of competition won’t decrease. And Plushchenko is clearly no weak athlete.”
    WTF? If a strong athlete comes to Europeans and melts down in a big way, would the level of competition not decrease? If Joe NooneknowswhothefeckIam goes to Euros and , does that not bring the level of competition up?

If it goes by points, it goes by points. No exceptions because of of who the skater is.

I'm not a fan of Plushenko, and his team has been around long enough to have made sure they knew the rules, but I'm more pissed at special treatment some skaters expect and receive.

Pfffft.

vCash
    indeed. What a bunch of bullshit.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Maybe in the new year, while Oda learns to count, Mishin can learn to read?
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Quadless
    vCash
    I am someone who always sees shades of grey rather than black and white, so IMO rules should be interpreted in the spirit in which they were intended, and this decision makes sense.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    indeed. What a bunch of bullshit.
    No way! Rules don't apply to Plushy-Poo. Long may he reign!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    http://www.examiner.com/figure-skati...nko-s-position

Very good critique that breaks down his programs.

As the author says, he is back, but I can't help but wonder for how long. Already, another surgery is coming up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    As the author says, he is back, but I can't help but wonder for how long. Already, another surgery is coming up.
    So how many surgeries will he have had on that knee? Four? Five?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    Apparently the ISU "rules" don't apply to everyone: http://rt.com/sport/pluschenko-figur...-european-017/
    I don't understand why he couldn't do a senior B in the next few weeks, or earlier this season, scheduled around one of his surgeries. Did they just not think about this, or did they figure the ISU would let Plushy do whatever he wanted, minimum score or no?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I don't understand why he couldn't do a senior B in the next few weeks, or earlier this season, scheduled around one of his surgeries. Did they just not think about this, or did they figure the ISU would let Plushy do whatever he wanted, minimum score or no?
    I think the only senior B left before Euros is the International Trophy of Lyon, and the deadline for entries was 12/6.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    So how many surgeries will he have had on that knee? Four? Five?
    maybe he is an octapus.
    Plushenko had I think left miniscus problem since 2004 before worlds. First knee surgery was 2007 though, then May 2010 and this summer was the third but I dont know if it is the same knee or the other. Each time they are cleaning the miniscus, whatever that means.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I think the only senior B left before Euros is the International Trophy of Lyon, and the deadline for entries was 12/6.
    Somehow I don't think Plushenko can get a minimum score at an ice dance competition.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Somehow I don't think Plushenko can get a minimum score at an ice dance competition.
    But he's Plushenko.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    He's never been my cup of tea. But...

--I think he's part cat. Which seems an unfair advantage.
    --If he skates clean with quads and Chan does his zamboni butt thing at Worlds and beats him...the proverbial stuff will hit the fan from the Russian fed.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I do NOT enjoy him in any way, but I do take my hat off to him.
    My feelings exactly.He did good for someone who's had multiple surgeries and is the age he is.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    But if it's at the expense of his long-term health......
    It's his health.His life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    It's his health.His life.
    It is, and we are entitled to express our opinions on what he is doing with it.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    But if he does no quads, doesn't it count as ice dance?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    maybe he is an octapus.
    Plushenko had I think left miniscus problem since 2004 before worlds. First knee surgery was 2007 though, then May 2010 and this summer was the third but I dont know if it is the same knee or the other. Each time they are cleaning the miniscus, whatever that means.
    It probably means they are shaving off ragged edges. The jumps put a lot of stress on the meniscus and cause it to wear away. The surgeries are done with an arthroscope and the healing time is short. How long he can continue to do this is only his orthodedic surgeon's guess. He's not going to cripple himself and will be fine when he does stop skating which will likely be February 2014 barring more significant injury that would require a more intensive surgery.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    So I wonder if trying to get him into Euros was a motivation for getting such high PCS marks at Russian Nationals.

While normally I'm a "the rules are the rules" kind of person, I'm not a big fan of the minimum score rule so I am not too bent out of shape that they are dropping it for one skater. If enough stuff like this happens to enough skaters they could even drop the rule altogether and I wouldn't be sad about that at all.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    Apparently the ISU "rules" don't apply to everyone: http://rt.com/sport/pluschenko-figur...-european-017/
    As it should be. The fact that they were even considering blocking a triple World Champion, a triple Olympic medallist, from competing at Euros because he didn't "meet the minimum score" was nothing short of a joke. Ridiculous. The guy won a silver medal at the Olympics less than two years ago - his last competitive outing, in fact. Just one look at the executed elements at Nationals should have counted him in.

After all, we're now ratifying quads at non-ISU events, so why not a minimum score?

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Because there isn't a Senior B for Senior Men between now and Europeans. The original plan was for him to compete at Cup of Russia, where he would have earned his score. Then his body made that impossible, but he went to Russian Nationals because he was ready.

I don't think they figured that "the ISU would let Plushy do whatever he wanted". I think they were hoping that someone at the ISU would enforce a bit of bloody common sense!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Because there isn't a Senior B for Senior Men between now and Europeans. The original plan was for him to compete at Cup of Russia, where he would have earned his score. Then his body made that impossible, but he went to Russian Nationals because he was ready.
    It isn't quite that simple. There was a Senior "B" in Istanbul a week and a half before Russian Nationals. The Russian Federation could have sent him there but didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    It isn't quite that simple. There was a Senior "B" in Istanbul a week and a half before Russian Nationals. The Russian Federation could have sent him there but didn't.
    Totally smacks of arrogance if you ask me. It will set a principle though. They should have sent him to the comps earlier to get the points.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast