Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The result was just 0.63 points off the mark of Canada's Patrick Chan which allowed him to win this year's ISU Grand Prix final.
    Oh oh... you would think this being Russian Nats he'll be setting records

I still think he is capable of a top five finish at worlds.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Oh, I'd imagine this would get him silver at Worlds. His PCS will see him through the day. Plus, if Chan does a common two or three splat program, only Plushy will be able to get the PCS needed to beat him.

Alot can be said for going out and landing everything, but Plush is so down on the PCS (or should be) that I don't like to think of him as the alternative to a multi-splat Chan. Should be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Plus, if Chan does a common two or three splat program, only Plushy will be able to get the PCS needed to beat him.

Alot can be said for going out and landing everything, but Plush is so down on the PCS (or should be) that I don't like to think of him as the alternative to a multi-splat Chan. Should be interesting.
    Don't count out Takahashi. He landed a 4/3 at Japanese Nationals, which may show his intention to challenge Chan technically. He did make mistakes in the free, but all in all, he's skating better than Chan this season. His PCS haven't been so much lower than Chan, indicating that Chan is beatable. Yes, he'd have to go clean in both the SP and LP to beat Chan with errors, but I think it's possible. He's hungry and I'm sure he would dearly love to reclaim his world title.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Plus, if Chan does a common two or three splat program, only Plushy will be able to get the PCS needed to beat him.
    Let's take a look at the number of Chan's falls in major championships, shall we?

2008 Worlds, where he was 7th in the SP under Joubert, the only skater in the top 6 to fall, and whose TR score of 7.43 over Chan's 6.68 was surely deserved:
    SP: 0
    FS: 1

2009 Four Continents:
    FS: 0

2009 Worlds:

2010 Olympics:
    SP: 1

2010 Worlds:

2011 Worlds:

That would make 4 falls over 6 championships over four seasons, or an average of .667 falls/per championship.

Also after the beginning of the calendar year, Chan's record at Canadian Nationals (January):

2007:
    FS: 2

2008:
    SP: 1

2009:

2010:

2011:

Chan has been quite consistently upright after the fall season.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    ^ I think people remember skate canada 2010 or 2011 or gpf last year and keep the fall comment.

Oh, I'd imagine this would get him silver at Worlds. His PCS will see him through the day. Plus, if Chan does a common two or three splat program, only Plushy will be able to get the PCS needed to beat him.

I m a fan myself but I really dont think at this point- with his current condition- it is realistic what you say. As remarkable as he did for a first time he cannot challenge neither Kozuka or Takahashi, and Javier and Brezina who have multiple quads. He was challenged by Gatchinski in Nationals. From his interview, press conference, I dont know what was, he believes the same. Even if he keeps the pcs on Vancouver level, he has lowered the TES. I believe he would do better if healthy in the future but not now. But I like the lutz 3 combo(if done clean) and the 3s-2axel seq a lot, much much better than the 4-3 he was throwing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Let's take a look at the number of Chan's falls in major championships, shall we?

That would make 4 falls over 6 championships over four seasons, or an average of .667 falls/per championship.

Also after the beginning of the calendar year, Chan's record at Canadian Nationals (January):

Chan has been quite consistently upright after the fall season.
    I sure hope he can regain that form this season.

Anyone care to count falls during the GP season? Seems to me this season has been the worst, including odds falls like those on footwork and the crash into the boards during the SP at GPF. as become his money . Plus, has he ever mistakes on both

vCash
    After the "fall" season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    I m a fan myself but I really dont think at this point- with his current condition- it is realistic what you say. As remarkable as he did for a first time he cannot challenge neither Kozuka or Takahashi, and Javier and Brezina who have multiple quads.
    Only Javier has demonstrated the ability to land 2 different quads more or less consistently. Those others can rotate quads but who knows if they'll land them on one foot.

Judges do give scores based on reputation. If they still like Plush then he'll do well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I sure hope he can regain that form this season.

Anyone care to count falls during the GP season? Seems to me this season has been the worst, including odds falls like those on footwork and the crash into the boards during the SP at GPF. as become his money . Plus, has he ever mistakes on both
    I think the whole point of the post was that Chan's view is the Grand Prix is the time to try new things out - one new program each year - which when you are doing programs with that kind of complexity is a big deal- and usually adding something new to his repertoire.

One year his aim was to add the triple axel (not all that long ago either!) another year the 2nd triple axel, another year the quad, this year more focus on artistry etc.

This time last year everyone was screaming about how he had to take the quad out so he would stop falling so much.

He ultimately works out most of the bugs by the time he gets to Nationals and Worlds - and isn't that the point? I think for him it is.

ETA - my new rep status made me laugh!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I think the whole point of the post was that Chan's view is the Grand Prix is the time to try new things out - one new program each year - which when you are doing programs with that kind of complexity is a big deal- and usually adding something new to his repertoire.

One year his aim was to add the triple axel (not all that long ago either!) another year the 2nd triple axel, another year the quad, this year more focus on artistry etc.

This time last year everyone was screaming about how he had to take the quad out so he would stop falling so much.

He ultimately works out most of the bugs by the time he gets to Nationals and Worlds - and isn't that the point? I think for him it is.ETA - my new rep status made me laugh!

How many times has he done it? Once- that was last year.

Prior to that, he did not do well at the Olympics.

That's hardly a trend. It could become one, if he skates clean at nationals and worlds.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    How many times has he done it? Once- that was last year.

Prior to that, he did not do well at the Olympics.

That's hardly a trend. It could become one, if he skates clean at nationals and worlds.
    Prior to that, he was a two-time World silver medalist.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Prior to that, he was a two-time World silver medalist.
    Plus he was injured the Oly season and it threw his whole training schedule for a loop.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Correction: he was the reigning World silver medalist, who rebounded from his Olympic experience with another World silver medal.

vCash
    Hmmm interesting and I provide random thoughts.

Sorry but 9s for PCS in the FS are just crazy. Maybe 7s or 8s. I think he actually used the music well this time - best I have seen from him for quite a while but is it worth a 9? I did think the CiSt was really good. Wasn't frenetic or random, but reflected the music and had really nice phrasing. Much better quality there. I wouldn't give +1 on the FSSp - he just doesn't get a very good flying position. Maybe 0. He is so stiff in the legs on his skating skills - there is no fluidity or smoothness.

The SP for me was really just blah. The chorey didn't work with the music except to skate to the level of it on the steps.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    It is still his body, his life and his decision. There are no guarantees in life, so it's up to him how he plays it.
    Word.
    especially the bold part.

vCash
    http://www.examiner.com/figure-skati...nko-s-position

Very good critique that breaks down his programs.

vCash
    He won his first World medal 14 seasons ago (1998), and all this time later he still realistically has a shot at a world championship medal. That's unthinkable.

But I would really rather not see him again. He's shown us everything he can do. Billions of times. But I love to see that kind of longevity, he has one of the most amazing minds and is one of the most amazing competitors of all-time.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Fernandez is probably the biggest threat at Europeans unless Breznia skates well. It will be very interesting to see what happens. If he wins Euros, then Worlds would be between Plushenko, Takahashi and Chan. Dai has the ability and programs to win, but he often falters outside of Japan. Chan is Chan. You never know what he's going to do. At least there will be some excitement in men's skating. It's been sort of boring the past two years.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    ...But I would really rather not see him again. He's shown us everything he can do...
    This. I enjoyed most of his performances from 98-03 or so, but after that they bored me.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Apparently the ISU "rules" don't apply to everyone: http://rt.com/sport/pluschenko-figur...-european-017/
    Can't skate but love to watch

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast