Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Is the ring made from gold? If so, that explains the $2200 cost. Gold jewelry has gotten very expensive.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The price of gold has gone up by almost 70% over the last two years.

Part of this discussion reminds me of something in one of the first or second Miss Manners books about gift-giving. I loaned them to a friend, and I don't have a direct quote, but the gist is of the story is that the long-time butler of a rich woman of impeccable taste traveled to Egypt and brought her a gift of a large, gaudy electric fountain, and what would she do? The answer was that she displayed it prominently where she entertained, because she could always get new friends, but a good butler was irreplaceable.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Is the ring made from gold? If so, that explains the $2200 cost. Gold jewelry has gotten very expensive.
    I recently bought a white gold solitaire band & plain wedding band for a stone my mother left me & I'll bet it has more gold in it than a single gemstone ring & the set only cost a little over $500. I looked at Littman's website & the most expensive gemstone ring they had was $636. (It was amethyst, peridot & blue topaz with diamond accents.) They had many 1 ct tw engagement rings for well under $2000. Something's wrong here if he was charged $2200.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I recently bought a white gold solitaire band & plain wedding band for a stone my mother left me & I'll bet it has more gold in it than a single gemstone ring & the set only cost a little over $500. I looked at Littman's website & the most expensive gemstone ring they had was $636. (It was amethyst, peridot & blue topaz with diamond accents.) They had many 1 ct tw engagement rings for well under $2000. Something's wrong here if he was charged $2200.
    Does white gold cost the same as yellow gold? I think yellow gold has gotten really expensive. And of course you can get cheaper rings. I don't know the composition of the butterfly ring so I don't know if it's priced appropriately.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Does white gold cost the same as yellow gold? I think yellow gold has gotten really expensive. And of course you can get cheaper rings. I don't know the composition of the butterfly ring so I don't know if it's priced appropriately.
    IIRC it is gold, mother of pearl, and diamond chips.

You can get a half-carat ideal-cut diamond solitaire with a platinum band for less than $1000 at bluenile.com. Woodstock's fiance was totally ripped off.

vCash
    Does white gold cost the same as yellow gold?
    Yes, it does.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Again, back in the day, generally the only way to establish a credit rating was to borrow and pay it back consistently over time. There was no way around not paying some interest.
    Sure there was, don't carry a balance. I think I was 30 before I ever missed one payment on anything...I never carry a balance now and overpay my mortgage, and my credit rating's never been below 800. You can always avoid interest with credit cards. (I don't even know the rates on mine, I never have to apply them.)

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I think I would just ignore the people who don't know you in real life.
    then this thread wouldnt exist, it is nothing but input from strangers. the only problem seems to be the input that doesnt agree with her.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    then this thread wouldnt exist, it is nothing but input from strangers. the only problem seems to be the input that doesnt agree with her.
    If I had a dime for every time I've seen a thread where the OP asked for advice and didn't like what they heard I would be able to buy woodstock's ring several times over.

And $2200? For mother of pearl and tiny diamond chips? There better be some hefty gold in that ring because otherwise he got taken to the cleaners.

vCash
    He got ripped off. . Local jeweler that made my cousins rings priced mine at 1,500 max....custom made. We know what we have to do.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    He got ripped off. . Local jeweler that made my cousins rings priced mine at 1,500 max....custom made. We know what we have to do.
    I hope "Call the BBB" is on that to-do list.

vCash
    The BBB has no clout. The only thing is if people question the BBB regarding Littman's they will see Littman's rating with them. The BBB can't make a business do anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    I don't have issue with the input that I don't agree with. If you noticed earlier in the thread I was also receiving less than kind advice. And I said nothing.

I do have issue with some of the recent comments such as Jayar's, in which he mentioned my fiance running for the hills. To post something like that, in that manner, was uncalled for.

I asked for advice regarding the ring, I certainly got it. Much of it helpful and constructive and informative about jewelery.

I did not ask to be insulted and ridiculed in a cruel fashion.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Absolutely. Good you got some hard numbers. Have you decided to buy another?

The BBB couldn't hurt. Leaving a scathing review on Yelp couldn't either. At least writing it could make you feel better.

vCash
    I'm kind of at the conclusions that some people jump to about woodstock's relationship, based on a few internet postings about ONE incident. With that said, I do agree, with those who have said it's time to either sh*t or get off the pot. You also hold some responsibility in this situation, be a grown up and take charge.
    Agreed. However, the part where she says she will probably reutrn it, even though it's damaged, she dislikes it, and it's incredibly over priced does lead one to believe there's some stuff going on that's fairly immature.

Take it back or stop complaining. Sh*t or get off the pot. Anything beyond that is drama.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I asked for advice regarding the ring, I certainly got it. Much of it helpful and constructive and informative about jewelery.

I did not ask to be insulted and ridiculed in a cruel fashion.
    Your thread title versus the problem the thread is about does call for a little ridicule. Some of us can't help but see red flags for this "unfortunate" engagment. This is FSU, if you behave like a wuss, you'll get called on it.

I've been married 30 years, no romantic proposal,but we were engaged for a year, without a ring.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Okay, but do it. Don't waffle about it. Don't let the store intimidate you. Tell them you want your money back. The ring is defective. Did you get an appraisal, from the other jeweler, in writing? Use that to show them they overcharged you. If they flat out refuse to reimburse you, exchange it and get one of the simple 1/2 ct rings they have. They have some very pretty ones. There is one that has an exaggerated square setting that sort of resembles a butterfly. Go to Littmans prepared to do battle!

vCash
    He got ripped off because he purchased the ring at a mall store instead of a local jeweler or wholesaler. That's like Jewelry Shopping 101.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnM View Post
    He got ripped off because he purchased the ring at a mall store instead of a local jeweler or wholesaler. That's like Jewelry Shopping 101.
    Oh please, there are MANY reputable mall stores.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Oh please, there are MANY reputable mall stores.
    Yes, there are. Littman's, however is not such a great choice. Especially if you don't know much about jewelry. I'm not really a fan of Kay Jewelers either. Keep in mind that not reputable and over priced are not necessarily synonymous. Fortunoff had very nice merchandise, but was very over priced. Probably why they went out of business. Ross-Simon is better, but more pricey than a neighborhood jewel.
    Last edited by cruisin; 01-27-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast