Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 414
  1. #341
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,231
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I actually think there is a lot of overreaction here. Woodstock's fiancee got her a ring that really was impractical. He proposed with it. I can understand Woodstock's initial reluctance to tell him she doesn't like or want the ring. I don't think that she should have been influenced by other's opinions of the ring. I do think that she should have taken a few days, really thought about how to explain her feelings to her fiancee, and told him honestly that the ring just is not right for her. But, that's easy for me to say, I'm not in the situation. It's always much easier to know "the right thing to do" when you don't have to deal with the consequences. If her fiancee was being difficult about returning the ring, maybe Woodstock resigned herself to it and let it grow on her. After it broke, it became obvious to both she and her fiancee, that the ring was a poor choice (and clearly over priced). I got no impression, at all, that the cost of the ring was influential. Woodstock came across, from the beginning, as rather frugal about spending a lot of money on an engagement ring. I think she should have the ring she wants. I don't think it's fair to judge her and suggest that her relationship is a mess because of this. Some women dream of a "perfect ring", when that doesn't happen, they are allowed to feel disappointed. That doesn't mean they are disappointed in their fiancee. Some women could care less about the ring, that's fine. But that doesn't make the woman who does care a bad person.

    My husband didn't give me a ring. I was a little disappointed, but we were saving to buy a house, so.... My mother gave me her original engagement ring diamond to have reset. My husband was fine with that. We had it set the way I wanted it. That was it.

    Woodstock, just return the ring. You will not be happy with it. Your fiancee will not be happy with it. Stop feeling guilty and prolonging the agony. Go with your fiancee, take it back and get what you want. The end.

    And, I would not continue to discuss this here. Just let us know you're happy.

  2. #342
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    199
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think he was so resistant to returning it because he knew I liked butterflies and apparently thought he had bought the most perfect ring for me. As I said before, he didn't research it and didn't consider wedding band fit, durability, etc. As I found out today, he didn't even have a price limit set for his search!He just had the romantic idea of getting me a unique and special butterfly ring. A ring that no other woman has. A ring that he thought I would adore and make me happy.

    I think had it been a typical stone, without any special meaning to him in return (as far as the idea and search goes), he probably would have been more open to returning it and more open to criticism.

    I realized those things. I realized he had those ideas in an attempt to do something extraordinarily special for me. How could I throw that right back at him by being honestly communicative and saying "I don't like it". So I went the sensible route. You can't emotionally deny practicality and durability, and since he had no jewelery expertise I was able to non-fault him for the choice and instead said it was just bad consultative advice.

    I think he was much more attached to that ring from the very first sight than I ever was.

  3. #343
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,231
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ Yes, but now it's time to let it go. Your indecisiveness is just going to make it worse. He wants to return it, return it. Done.

    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    It goes along with the discussion that starts out with "if I was your boss, would you speak to me that way?" when he gets that somewhat condescending tone with me. I know he doesn't mean to, but it is important that I call him on it when he does it.
    My discussion starts out with "Do you speak to your clients that way? How do you think they would respond, if you did?" My husband sometimes forgets I am not on trial.

  4. #344
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    199
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you cruisin. You're advice has been helpful. It probably will be returned, especially if it is severely overpriced. My fiance should not overspend for something I wear, even if he doesn't care.

    It's just hard now because I grew to like it. And I love his intent behind it. It's a very pretty ring. And if it didn't have the durability issues for daily wear, ironically I would probably now choose to keep it as my engagement ring. In fact, a solitaire or other more conventional ring doesn't seem right for us anymore. Which is probably why I may just forgo a ring entirely.

  5. #345

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,872
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    88942
    I'll say one more thing and then I will shut up. The problem, as I see it, is that it is not his ring, it is yours. The most important thing, IMHO, should have been what you thought. It really shouldn't have been the durability issue that forced the return. I don't understand why he wouldn't take it straight back as soon as he realized it wasn't the ring you wanted. He doesn't (didn't) have to wear it, you do. It sounds like a whole lot of passive aggressive stuff is going on. JMHO, of course, but using the excuse of " but I thought it would be perfect and you'll hurt my feelings if I'm wrong" to make someone give in is just wrong. If he comes home having purchased a car for you that he wants, that is impractical for you, but he won't drive it because he doesn't want to give up his current car, will you be okay with that? I have a friend who lives like that. Her husband get "hurt" when she doesn't like something he has bought her and so she no longer says anything, she just seethes in private.
    Now I'm not saying you fiancé is like this. I don't know him. I'm just saying, if this is a theme in your relationship you might want to talk about it now. In my friend's case it actually started with an engagement ring and the last purchase was a house .....
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  6. #346

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eagerly awaiting the Olympics!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    18,542
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10229
    I'm not sure why you've abandoned the idea of the butterfly wedding set that you posted here several times. That seems like a good compromise between the idea of the butterfly that he was attached to and a traditional wedding set that you originally wanted. It will still be different than nearly anyone else's rings. It seems like an easy solution to the problem.

    It seems fairly straightforward to me at this point, now that your fiance wants to return it. Get your money back for this ring; $2200 is too much for sentimentality. Use that money to get the butterfly wedding set you've shown in this thread several times before (if possible) thereby acknowledging that he had a great idea to get you a special, unique, butterfly themed ring and acknowledging that you need a ring suitable for daily wear.

  7. #347

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,654
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    41192
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    ^^^This

    Just fyi woodstock, when you start a thread asking for advice, you'll sometimes get that.
    Did she invite people to assess her character too?

  8. #348
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Did she invite people to assess her character too?
    Did Karina invite you to assess her character in another thread?

    I and others think there are some serious issues with woodstock's rendition of things. Some will put the blame with woodstock, some will put the blame with the fiance, and some with both. When you ask for people's assessments on things, you're likely to get it.

    And just because I know where this is going with you taf, take whatever personal grudges you have with me to pm and stop using woodstock to project your own issues.

  9. #349

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,654
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    41192
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Did Karina invite you to assess her character in another thread?

    I and others think there are some serious issues with woodstock's rendition of things. Some will put the blame with woodstock, some will put the blame with the fiance, and some with both. When you ask for people's assessments on things, you're likely to get it.

    And just because I know where this is going with you taf, take whatever personal grudges you have with me to pm and stop using woodstock to project your own issues.
    I have no personal grudge with you. I do think that sometimes you get caught up in a thread & you say too much. It's like you get affronted if someone doesn't take your advice, like yours is the last word on every subject. You come off as a very intelligent person but that doesn't mean that you are right about everything. And I think it's time to let my with Karina rest.

  10. #350
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Fair enough

  11. #351
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I'm a little horrified at the cruel personal remarks. If you are bored with woodstock's posts there is an easy solution for that. I'm not sure how anyone thinks they are qualified to tell an internet acquaintance that she needs any kind of counseling, esp when none of them are psychiatrists or psychologists.
    I think pre-marital "counseling" is a misnomer. I'd rather call it a "preparation class." It isn't to fix something, it's to prevent something bad from happening. I mean, surely you'd want to know what sort of issues are going to pop up before you take the plunge and sign your legal individuality away!

    Heck, before the baptism of my goddaughter, her parents did a "baptism preparation class" with the priest and I'm pretty sure they don't have any issues with the spirituality of their two-month-old babies.

    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    Had my fiance been willing and open, I would have been returning the ring on December 26th. Plain and simple fact, he wasn't. How badly does one crap on their fiance to force a return right after the engagement? It wasn't worth it enough for me at the time to push the issue. Plain and simple. I didn't want our very first argument to happen right after our engagement over a ring. Burn me at the stake for not completely gutting him with blatant honesty during a moment of pride and joy.
    Then you two should think about doing a "marriage preparation session" for HIS sake! Being stubborn and unwilling to listen or compromise is a relationship-killer. You might have weathered the beast now because the worst issue you've encountered is this engagement ring. What if your or his finances are on the line? Or your health? Or kids? Typical marriage stuff, but things that simply don't pop up when you're not married.

    I would have gone, "Honey, I love love love that you thought of getting a distinctive butterfly ring for me, I really do. But I'm truly sorry, I'm afraid I can't wear it every day." And either he'll go, "I'm sorry, we should take it back" or "No, I insist you keep it" (in whatever form that might entail) and you're forced to keep it as a special occasion ring and not wear it every day because you know it's going to break. Having an argument and figuring it out in one go isn't bad - it's when you draw it out, then you only make it worse.

    You can't spend years of your life in an intimate relationship tiptoeing around someone else's feelings. Well I mean, you could, but I personally can't picture being happy in that sort of relationship. Being considerate is obviously a requirement, but don't forget you need to say your piece too!

    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    ^^ Yes, but now it's time to let it go. Your indecisiveness is just going to make it worse. He wants to return it, return it. Done.
    Agree.

    Despite all my advice, I'm not in your relationship, woodstock. As mentioned, my bf and I are sickeningly open, and I obviously can't expect every relationship to be like that. Only you can decide what you're going to endure and compromise on and what you're not.

  12. #352
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,231
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    You can't spend years of your life in an intimate relationship tiptoeing around someone else's feelings. Well I mean, you could, but I personally can't picture being happy in that sort of relationship. Being considerate is obviously a requirement, but don't forget you need to say your piece too!
    Agree. Eventually, the tiptoeing gets old. Resentment takes over. And because the guy has been trained to expect you to hold your feelings in and only consider his, he doesn't get where the resentment is coming from.

  13. #353
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Picking up my Team Olesya t-shirt
    Posts
    1,168
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    when you can tell me how many years you've been successfully married, without a single issue, then you can tell me how behave in my relationship. Try rereading the last paragraph in my previous post.
    I think I would just ignore the people who don't know you in real life. There's no way anyone can really know what is going on with you and your relationships unless they see you on a regular basis. (But then again, we've all been fooled even in that situation!)

    I'm interested to know what you decide on and how this all turns out. Good luck!

  14. #354
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In the DelSchoes mask voids!
    Posts
    2,696
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm kind of at the conclusions that some people jump to about woodstock's relationship, based on a few internet postings about ONE incident. With that said, I do agree, with those who have said it's time to either sh*t or get off the pot. You also hold some responsibility in this situation, be a grown up and take charge. People don't like your ring? Tell them to fcuk off. Don't like your ring, it isn't practical, too expensive, might break again ect.? Return it and go with your fiance together to get a new one. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. A lot of problems with this situation is because you are letting things other people say and do affect you. YOU are in control of yourself. Good luck, and I hope you and your fiance are able to sort out the situation with the jewler in regards to getting a refund.

  15. #355
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    I'm kind of at the conclusions that some people jump to about woodstock's relationship, based on a few internet postings about ONE incident. With that said, I do agree, with those who have said it's time to either sh*t or get off the pot. You also hold some responsibility in this situation, be a grown up and take charge. People don't like your ring? Tell them to fcuk off. Don't like your ring, it isn't practical, too expensive, might break again ect.? Return it and go with your fiance together to get a new one. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. A lot of problems with this situation is because you are letting things other people say and do affect you. YOU are in control of yourself. Good luck, and I hope you and your fiance are able to sort out the situation with the jewler in regards to getting a refund.
    That's exactly why some of us are so here. I can't tell what woodstock's relationship with her fiance is really like. I'm only offering my opinion over the situation she has described in this thread. But honestly woodstock, the image I have of you is an immature one. You sound like a sweet, (overly ) considerate person, but it also seems like you're expecting problems to fix themselves instead of taking charge. Sometimes the problems aren't going to fix themselves without you doing something about it.

    And I will say one final thing. My parents have been happily married for 30 years, I've never heard them once had an argument. My mom's philosophy: if someone asks for your opinion, you give it honestly. Not harshly (no throwing the ring back in his face), but honestly. If you don't offer one, you have no grounds to complain. Shut up and make do.

    They don't always agree. But in such cases, they sit down and have a discussion. And either they come to a compromise, or one of them shuts up and makes do because it's really not big a deal to him/her.

    That's how I've tried to live my adult life in general, because I understand that sometimes I can't have my cake and eat it too.

  16. #356
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In the DelSchoes mask voids!
    Posts
    2,696
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

    And I will say one final thing. My parents have been happily married for 30 years, I've never heard them once had an argument. My mom's philosophy: if someone asks for your opinion, you give it honestly. Not harshly (no throwing the ring back in his face), but honestly. If you don't offer one, you have no grounds to complain. Shut up and make do.

    They don't always agree. But in such cases, they sit down and have a discussion. And either they come to a compromise, or one of them shuts up and makes do because it's really not big a deal to him/her.

    That's how I've tried to live my adult life in general, because I understand that sometimes I can't have my cake and eat it too.
    Your parents sound similar to mine! Married 30 years this coming fall, and while they definitely don't agree on everything I can't even count the number of times on my hand that they have actually been in a heated argument or even raised their voices at each other.

    I definitely think pre-marriage counceling can be a good thing. Not because anything is "wrong", but it's so important to have open communication. A lot of young people just haven't learned that "skill" yet, and sometimes need a bit of nudging in that department.

  17. #357
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,231
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ Anita18, in general I completely agree with you. But I can see where this situation could be a bit more difficult to navigate. If the fiancee expressed that he put sooo much effort into picking out the perrrrrfect ring, I can see where it would have been tough for woodstock to be completely honest, initially. She didn't want to ruin his moment.

    That said, she should not have put so much emotion into what others thought. She should have been completely honest with herself, she was not happy with the ring. It was very considerate to not rain on fiancee's parade, when he was on bended knee. But, as I already said, she should have taken a day or two to really think about what she wanted. The ring was not what she envisioned for herself (she should wear what makes her happy too), it hurt her finger, it was made of an impractical material, and a wedding band would have to be custom made to fit the ring. These are all logical reasons to have sat fiancee down, after thinking about her approach, and tell him how she felt. Though, it sounds like she tried and he was resistant. I think we, here, have a very off kilter idea of what went on. She used FSU to vent and we may not have all of the facts as they played out in time. It now sounds like fiancee has gotten a clue that the ring was not a good investment. Woodstock, now, needs to run with that. She's getting what she initially wanted, but now she feels guilty (maybe because she did vent here). She shouldn't, the ring broke, and now fiancee agrees.

    It also sounds like your parents are very much a like, in how they handle things. That's not always the case. Some couples argue, a lot, that's part of their relationship/personality. Sometimes one person is the type that avoids conflict, the other might take advantage of that. But, that might work for them. Sometimes, like my husband and I, both are somewhat competitive - we're not happy unless we're debating something .

  18. #358

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Age
    38
    Posts
    417
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1793
    It sounds like you and your fiancee really need to work on your communication skills before you get married.

  19. #359
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,005
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It also sounds like your parents are very much a like, in how they handle things. That's not always the case. Some couples argue, a lot, that's part of their relationship/personality. Sometimes one person is the type that avoids conflict, the other might take advantage of that. But, that might work for them. Sometimes, like my husband and I, both are somewhat competitive - we're not happy unless we're debating something .
    LOL, whatever works for you. I've only been in relationships with men who don't like arguing with their partners.

    But judging from how woodstock was navigating the ring issue around her fiance, it seems like she wants to avoid any sort of confrontation at all costs. Giving a dissenting honest opinion doesn't have to be a confrontation. You have to choose the right time (waiting a day or two would give both of them some space) and word your opinion carefully, but it can be done without it ending in

    And seriously, this will be the best story to tell their grandkids.

  20. #360

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    California
    Age
    38
    Posts
    417
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1793
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    angelskates and agalisgv, when you can tell me how many years you've been successfully married, without a single issue, then you can tell me how behave in my relationship. Try rereading the last paragraph in my previous post.
    Just came across this post, otherwise I would have addressed it in mine.

    Successful marriages can have issues all the time. The success of the relationship, however, lies in the fact that both partners are willing to confront & discuss those issues in a reasonable, adult manner rather than tiptoeing around those issues.

    I have no idea how you're going to get through wedding planning, merging finances, buying a home, raising children, etc. if you can't even work through dealing with this engagement ring.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •