Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm not knowledgeable about jewelry, but I am knowledgeable about sales/customer service, and it would be outrageous of Littman's not to refund you your money when they have a 60 day policy. You'll probably have to fight for it, but I'm sure your fiancee can get his money back. If you don't want anything from their store, don't settle for store credit. Fight for getting a full refund, because that's really what you should be getting.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    This says it all. The ring was causing you angst when you got it. You weren't sure that it was right for you. Now, it's broken. I'm sure that you've grown to feel something for the ring, but as you said it's impractical. Return it - it's DEFECTIVE. You're not exchanging it because you changed your mind about it, it BROKE within the 60 day policy time. It will most likely break again. Resizing can break the return policy at some stores, but if the product is defective... Did you sign anything when it was sized? Was there a hold harmless type of clause stating that if the integrity of the ring is compromised by resizing - they are not responsible? If not, go after them. Litmans is a big store. If they refuse a refund, but will grant an exchange, I'm sure you can find something you like. It may not be a butterfly, but is that what you really want? Or have you talked yourself into it? First things first: Stop the repair. Tell them you want a refund. Fight to get your money back or a store credit. Then worry about the new ring.

As far as resetting the stones in the existing ring - What is the total diamond weight? The diamonds may be so small that their value is inconsequential. The gold is probably worth more, but how heavy is the gold weight in the ring? The mother of pearl, even in a new setting, is not for every day. It can crack and can stain - too delicate. Most jewelers won't melt down your gold for a new ring. They will buy the gold and that will offset the cost of a new ring. Honestly, taking tiny stones out of a ring, that may or may not have enough gold, and making a new ring, will probably cost you more than just getting a new ring. Get an estimate before you a make that decision. I still think your best bet is return it and demand some sort of refund or credit.
    This. They sold you a crap ring, did a crap job resizing it, and you didn't really like the ring to begin with. Get your money back and get the set YOU like that isn't going to fall apart. It should NOT be falling apart already, resized or not.

If you were in/near Boston I'd be glad to give you the name of a private store there my friends own. They would NOT pull a stunt like this. (If anyone IS around Boston and looking for a jeweler who won't feed them a line, feel free to PM me. I have a lovely pearl set from them that has never disintigrated, and I'm hard on jewelry.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    If you were in/near Boston I'd be glad to give you the name of a private store there my friends own. They would NOT pull a stunt like this. (If anyone IS around Boston and looking for a jeweler who won't feed them a line, feel free to PM me. I have a lovely pearl set from them that has never disintigrated, and I'm hard on jewelry.)
    I hear you. There are lots of reputable jewelry stores around. The problem with stores like Litmans, is that they have so many stores and they sell based on volume, not quality or service. Most of the sales people know very little about jewelry, diamond quality, etc. There is also a big difference between fine jewelry and fashion jewelry. Fashion jewelry can be solid gold and have diamonds. But the gold weight is low (can be hollow or band can be carved out), and the diamond quality (weight, color, clarity, and cut) low grade. Stores like Litmans can sell certified diamonds, but you will pay $$$ for them, and they won't be set with mother of pearl. There are certain things that don't hold up well for daily wear in a ring, mother of pearl is one of them. It's fine in a pendant or earrings that don't take heavy abuse. but for the sales person to tell your fiancee that mother of pearl would be good for an engagement ring was wrong. Either they knew nothing about the material or all they cared about was a sale. You were treated shabbily, get your money back if possible. A credit, at the very least. DO NOT accept a new ring in the same style.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Littman's corporate might be responsive.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    My take? Woodstock: You should have no problem getting your refund. Please pursue this and take the recommendations other posters have made. Start with a less aggressive approach and get more and more aggressive, if necessary. (I had an incident with MCI that was ridiculous. I was told by the last rep I spoke with that I was going to the BBB. His response? "Works for me!" Well, I did. I did the complaint on-line in a matter of minutes and received a call from MCI the next day providing me with my full $192 credit).

So, step one: Get the refund.

Step two: Buy the ring you like (callacut.com), the set that you've mentioned a number of times in this thread and linked several times. It seems to me that this is the set you've wanted from Day One. You keep going back to it. It's like that dress you decide not to buy while you're in the store, but then you keep thinking about afterwards. You've thought about it, this is the set you REALLY like, so do it!

O-

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I
    Even if this is the case, because the resizing damaged the integrity of the ring, you might have an argument.
    Resizing should never damage the integrity of a ring. Either the store is lying or their resizers are incompetent.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Resizing should never damage the integrity of a ring. Either the store is lying or their resizers are incompetent.
    Resizing can loosen stones. Some ring styles cannot be resized, for that reason. I had a ring that no jeweler would resize, because it would change the shape of the setting. It is also why good jewelers will only go up or down 1/2 to 1 size. With a small change, the setting can be adjusted. Any time a ring is resized the jeweler should check the prongs on the stones. Whenever the curved shape of the ring is altered - smaller curve to make smaller, or larger curve to make larger - the prongs can shift a bit. So, the jeweler should check and tighten, if needed, every prong on every setting. A glued in stone is even more likely to have a problem because more of it's surface contact is being altered. Actually, just wearing a ring the prongs can shift a bit. From holding things and putting pressure on the back of the ring, you can alter the shape of the "circle". That is why it is a good idea to have ring settings checked every 6 months to a year.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    Littman's has offered to order me a new ring (of the same style of course) made specifically in my size, they say the resizing caused the stone to pop out. I don't know what to do.I don't trust them, they're just salespeople. At this point I'm almost ready to not even bother with an engagement ring. My only other thought is to forgo the mother of pearl and get a proper jeweler to melt the gold and diamonds and make it into my wedding band or a new engagement ring for the cost of labor, since Littman is seeming to not be open to refund based on todays conversation. Although that would be financially sensible, it would be rough to do sentimentally speaking. And it was going to be so pretty with a yellow sapphire wedding band made to fit it. Sigh.
    But...did you ask specifically? Just because they don't offer right off the bat doesn't mean they won't do it. You just have to be direct and ask. Happened to me once - I was in a clusterf*ck situation and it would have undoubtedly remained that way if I hadn't had the resourcefulness and hypothetical balls to ask for what I wanted directly. I was 22 and finally considered myself an adult after HTFU and doing that.

This is a big ticket item and it broke within a month where engagement rings are supposed to last decades.. It's completely within your rights to ask for a refund, especially if you explain you don't want to keep on coming in (and bothering them) every month repairing it. Call them and ask, at the very least.

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    This is a big ticket item and it broke within a month where engagement rings are supposed to last decades.. It's completely within your rights to ask for a refund, especially if you explain you don't want to keep on coming in (and bothering them) every month repairing it. Call them and ask, at the very least.
    Absolutely!

My wife's engagement ring was fine for 27 years before she took it back to the jewelers to get new post since they had become worn over the years and the stone was showing signs of becoming loose. It has been fine for the last 9 years.

Defintely demand a refund...once a month is nuts...
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    But...did you ask specifically? Just because they don't offer right off the bat doesn't mean they won't do it. Call them and ask, at the very least.
    I think it should be asked for in person, not over the phone. Talk to the sales person, ask for the manager. It's much easier to blow off someone on the phone, than in person. If you don't get anywhere, have the manager call corporate from the store, so that you speak to them (on the phone) in front of the store personnel. Speak loudly, if you have to. I'm sure they don't want other customers to hear your complaint.

vCash
    And be sure to point out that your fiance specifically said this was to be an engagement ring. Any salesperson with a clue should have realized that it wouldn't hold up to years of daily wear.

I agree with everyone else. Talk to the manager, explain the situation and what you want. If they won't work with you, escalate it to corporate.

In the meantime, if he did open a credit card with them, call to contest the charge. They should be held to the same regulations as everyone else when something like this happens. Anyone else want to expound on that?
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It would depend on the terms and conditions of the store credit card.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    And be sure to point out that your fiance specifically said this was to be an engagement ring. Any salesperson with a clue should have realized that it wouldn't hold up to years of daily wear.

I agree with everyone else. Talk to the manager, explain the situation and what you want. If they won't work with you, escalate it to corporate.

In the meantime, if he did open a credit card with them, call to contest the charge. They should be held to the same regulations as everyone else when something like this happens. Anyone else want to expound on that?
    I completely agree. Unfortunately, though, store cards can be tricky. Stores can pressure you to impulsively get a store card, especially when it is a large amount. Most people do not really read through the terms adequately, on the spot. They just hope they get the credit approval. Store cards are rarely a good idea, the interest rates are higher and there may be terms that are not in your best interests. Never use store cards unless you are able to pay them off, in full, each month. I do have a Bloomingdales card, simply because it accuses points (very generous) and because the friends and family sales require a Bloomingdales card. But, I do not buy anything I cannot pay for outright. I only use the card to get the points. Stores (and their credit banks) count on you not paying off, in full, each month. That's how they make money.

As for the sales person, they probably know as much or less about jewelry than the average person. I seriously doubt they are schooled or trained in gemology. But they should know that mother of pearl is not a good choice for an every day ring. And they should know the difference between a cocktail ring and an engagement ring. They should have suggested to the fiancee, that he ask woodstock's opinion, before purchasing such an unusual ring. Suggest to the fiancee, that he present the ring to her, with the understanding that it may not be the right ring, and that he could return it. That is reputable. The sales person should know that something that quirky and fragile could be a poor choice.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    . I only use the card to get the points. Stores (and their credit banks) count on you not paying off, in full, each month. That's how they make money.
    Major credit cards get a percentage of each sale in merchant fees, but even if store cards bother with merchant fees, it's an internal transfer, not a net revenue source. Stores make up lost merchant fees and the sign-up bonus, usually a % off your first purchase, with higher interest rates in general, plus driving usage and loyalty.

They used to be one of the few ways that a young person could establish a credit rating and get a major credit card, before college students were inundated with credit card offers.

vCash
    Major credit cards get a percentage of each sale in merchant fees, but even if store cards bother with merchant fees, it's an internal transfer, not a net revenue source. Stores make up lost merchant fees and the sign-up bonus, usually a % off your first purchase, with higher interest rates in general, plus driving usage and loyalty.

They used to be one of the few ways that a young person could establish a credit rating and get a major credit card, before college students were inundated with credit card offers.
    Yes, that's why I suggest only using a store card if you can pay it off, and not incur any interest on it. The late penalties are higher as well. If you pay them off, on time, do not incur penalties or interest fees, they can be a good thing. As I said, I get great deals at Bloomingdales, but I never go over what I could literally pay for in cash, on the spot. They are not making extra money on me .

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Again, back in the day, generally the only way to establish a credit rating was to borrow and pay it back consistently over time. There was no way around not paying some interest. Now that isn't an issue for students who are offered major credit cards, although, with the credit crunch, I wonder if credit card companies are still making those offers to as many students.

vCash
    Again, back in the day, generally the only way to establish a credit rating was to borrow and pay it back consistently over time. There was no way around not paying some interest. Now that isn't an issue for students who are offered major credit cards, although, with the credit crunch, I wonder if credit card companies are still making those offers to as many students.
    I can tell you that they still send the offers out (my kids are 25 & 27 and are grad students), though not as many. But, though they claim that they are "pre-qualified", they must go through a qualification process - which may or may not go through.

After I took over my fathers finances, I got a whole slew of offers. I just tear them up.

vCash
    So, got the ring back from the jeweler, again. It's repaired, but where they repaired it the jeweler left scratches in the gold, so it will have to probably be sent back to be buffed.

And, I finally found out how much this ring cost. What people were calling cheap and not a "real engagement ring" to my face in fact cost my fiance $2200! Even I thought he only spent about $700 max, because it really doesn't have much "bling" factor.

I was tempted to consider asking him if we could still keep this ring, and he can just wedding band it and give to me as an anniversary set someday in the future, but at $2200 there is no way I can ask him keep this for the future as a "special occasion band" AND get another more suitable engagement ring now for daily wear.

We got 15 days left in the return period (if resizing didn't nullify it). I just don't know what to do. I resigned myself to the ring so early that now it's gotten sentimental and I was looking forward to seeing how it would look with a custom yellow sapphire wedding band.I just want to fix the durability and fit issues. I'd tried talking to my fiance to bring it to a proper jeweler this week and see if he could replicate something like it but with more durability (perhaps a different "wing" stone other than yellow mother of pearl? And maybe something that would show better on my pale skin-yellow really doesn't show well on my pale coloring with pink undertones) and set the one wing so it doesn't dig my finger when it catches on something. Heck, it might even be priced the same as Littman's jacked up costs, and would probably fit a wedding band better if we make them at the same time as a set. (or it could cost more, who knows).

All he wants to do now is return it and be done with it. And he insists we return it tomorrow night and get it over with.

Only problem is I tried on a few other engagement rings when I picked mine up today and none of them really looked right. Because I kind of like the idea of my different looking ring. But, my different looking ring isn't made for daily wear, just the one break upset me. (And to add on top the Littman ladies insisted that he never said it was for an engagement, or else they would have guided him to "something more appropriate for daily wear". uh, huh. Sure you would have ladies.)

My engagement announcements got junked on with nasty ring comments. I hated the ring at first, but now I kind of like the ring most of the time, but dislike it still sometimes. But still I don't want to get rid of my engagement ring. He said he's embarrassed and humiliated. I'm hurt, he's hurt.

I'm starting to think no engagement ring at all might be the best solution.

vCash
    A month later, and you are still bitching about this ring? Your fiance should head for the hills.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    This ring doesn't work for you long-term. Get the refund asap, so you don't go outside of the return period.

You don't have to walk out if the store with another ring. You can look for what you want and use photos to see if you can have another ring made based on this design. A jewelry designer may surprise you.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast