Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

vCash
    When Mr. NC and I started dating, he was at the end of the year long separation required by the state of NC prior to divorce. We were preparing to meet his parents for the first time, spending Thanksgiving with them. He assured me that they would love me 1) because I was wonderful and 2) because they barely tolerated his first wife and thought she was totally whacked. The divorce became final the day before they arrived for Thanksgiving. When they got to the house the first thing they asked was if the divorce was final yet. When he assured them it was, his mother said "Break out the wine!" I knew I was golden from that point forward.

vCash
    Woodstock, I'm glad you and your fiance have worked things out. Best wishes for a bright future together.

vCash
    Thanks everyone! I went back to my full-time job today (I work at a nursing home on my "vacations" ). Now that the ring has grown on me it's rather humorous to see peoples reactions. I got a nice mix today. Some genuinely liked it, others you could tell they were just being polite, and one male coworker went "I didn't know engagement rings didn't have to be big diamonds". LOL!

I will say this, as one coworker came up and showed me her christmas gift from her boyfriend, a small diamond solitaire promise ring on her right hand, and said, "you got the better christmas gift". I did indeed!

Now off to scout some more locations via internet. We hope to have a morning wedding with a brunch reception to follow. Simple and quiet. Someplace with pretty scenery/gardens and a light and airy building with big windows. Fingers crossed I can book something like that for next fall!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    Thanks everyone! I went back to my full-time job today (I work at a nursing home on my "vacations" ). Now that the ring has grown on me it's rather humorous to see peoples reactions. I got a nice mix today. Some genuinely liked it, others you could tell they were just being polite, and one male coworker went "I didn't know engagement rings didn't have to be big diamonds". LOL!

I will say this, as one coworker came up and showed me her christmas gift from her boyfriend, a small diamond solitaire promise ring on her right hand, and said, "you got the better christmas gift". I did indeed!

Now off to scout some more locations via internet. We hope to have a morning wedding with a brunch reception to follow. Simple and quiet. Someplace with pretty scenery/gardens and a light and airy building with big windows. Fingers crossed I can book something like that for next fall!
    The wedding sounds like a lovely idea! One of my college classmates had a beautiful wedding in Seattle - a lot of the stuff they had was unnecessary for me (they spent around $20K on the wedding, I'd be gunning for $5K ) but the venue by itself is gorgeous and I think it would be something to your tastes: http://yvonne-wong.com/blog/2010/01/wiggsdave/

vCash
    And....the ring broke today. I had it resized last week, so if finally fit a bit better, and today one of the mother of pearl "wings" just popped right out when I washed my hands.

I have no idea what to do. I haven't even been engaged for a month and the ring already broke. Fortunately we have a lifetime warranty, but is it even worth paying for a custom wedding band to fit this ring if it will be in repair every few months? And do I want a ring I'm potentially taking to repair every few months? It's very sentimental now, but I see myself getting really weary of repair in a few years, no matter how pretty it is.

Less than one month! Ugh. I was so sad when it broke. And I think my fiance finally realized how sad looking a broken ring is. He was not pleased that my predictions (due to the delicate nature of this flat mother of pearl and setting) came true. But he seems more open to other options after seeing the sad little broken ring on my finger.

Littman's has offered to order me a new ring (of the same style of course) made specifically in my size, they say the resizing caused the stone to pop out. I don't know what to do.I don't trust them, they're just salespeople. At this point I'm almost ready to not even bother with an engagement ring. My only other thought is to forgo the mother of pearl and get a proper jeweler to melt the gold and diamonds and make it into my wedding band or a new engagement ring for the cost of labor, since Littman is seeming to not be open to refund based on todays conversation. Although that would be financially sensible, it would be rough to do sentimentally speaking. And it was going to be so pretty with a yellow sapphire wedding band made to fit it. Sigh.

So jewelery knowledgeable folks. Advice? Recommendations? And if we do try to go for a different ring what should I look for in regard to setting, stone quality? I need something sturdy, and workable with a standard wedding band.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think it's a stronger sentiment to take the diamonds and gold and see if it's feasible to turn into a setting for another ring. By doing so you'll be taking the best elements of what you have and forging into something stronger, which is a good metaphor for a marriage.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Personally, I would not take no for an answer. They sized the ring. If they couldn't even size it and keep the integrity of the ring, why should you trust them to fix it? I would insist on exchanging the ring. Not for another of the same ring, it obviously has weaknesses. They sold you a product that did not hold up. They should stand by their merchandise. I get it if they refuse a refund, but they should exchange it for something else. Tell them you will go to the better business bureau.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If he paid for it by credit card, he could file a charge back with his credit card issuer, and they could issue him a full refund.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I have a bad feeling he opened a credit card account with the store to buy the ring in the first place. There looked to be a store credit card in the envelope with the ring's paperwork when we dropped it for repair. Which makes me really afraid of what he paid for it. At first I thought $300, then looking at the details I figured maybe around $700. But if he opened a store account perhaps it was even more. I just don't know what to do. I knew from day one that it really wasn't a good ring for daily wear, and tried to look into the positive and make it work, but now that it broke within a month. I've got sentimental warring with practicality. And honestly it is very pretty and part of me would love to see what a custom yellow saphire wedding band would look against it, but there just isn't the money to spend customizing a band for a ring that is not sturdy, that would be silly. I love that it's low profile, but hate that it's got glued in mother of pearl on either side of the diamonds so I can't clean it and the pearl could crack and now has already popped off. It's sentimental and pretty and I've grown to like the idea of having such a unique wedding set and I don't want to return it, but if I wear it everyday it's gonna be a mess of repairs. And since it's so unique the wedding band will always have to be paired with it, I won't be able to wear it separate when the engagement ring is in repair (or just breaks so much that I don't want to wear it, then the wedding ring would get boxed too). And I want to wear my rings every day.

It's all such a cluster... I don't know what to do because I think either way it won't be perfect. I should have not worn it and let it grow on me and made him exchange it right after christmas, because now I love the delicate little broken thing. But it's completely unsuitable for an engagement ring. And we can't afford to keep this for special occasions and get me another. I'm about to say box this, don't even bother to get a band for it, and get a nice wedding band. But then I'll never wear my engagement ring, and I won't be able to wear it with my wedding ring. It was just impractical as a purchase. I knew it, he didn't.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Have you ever heard the joke, Q: "What do you get when you ask two Jews a question?" A: "Three opinions."

If there is more than one moving part, and you're expecting perfect, changes are greater than 99.99% that you are going to be disappointed.

For perspective, (re) watch the Charlotte-marries-Harry episode of "Sex and City."

vCash
    Woodstock, I'm so sorry you are having all this trouble with your ring. I don't have an engagement ring, just a wedding band with diamonds in it. I do have another ring my husband bought me at an antique store. I suspect it was someone's engagement ring but it is totally impractical for everyday wear. I were it on my right hand on special occasions. Perhaps you could have the replacement ring sized for your right hand and then have a wedding band for you left hand. You could get a plain band now and then perhaps something with diamonds to go with it for your 10th or 20th anniversary.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Considering the fact that my less than one month old engagement ring, that I was initially less than enthused about, already is sitting in the repair bin, this set looks better and better. http://www.callacut.com/viewitem.asp...9999&curPage=2

I likey. I really really likey. And it looks pretty sturdy. The rings can be worn separate if needed. And it can be easily cleaned.

Only problem is that Littman has his money, probably won't refund, and they don't carry this set. And I don't really want to exchange for something they have in their store. I really like this set. Traditional looking, with a unique twist, and has his butterfly requirement.
    Last edited by woodstock; 01-24-2012 at 03:46 AM.

vCash
    Traditional looking, with a unique twist, and has his butterfly requirement.
    (bold mine)

His butterfly requirement? If you're going to pick out a new set, it should be one that you love and want to wear and that he also likes, but it shouldn't have any requirement that's just his IMO.

I think you, again, need to sit down and talk about how he paid for the other ring and what you are both going to do about it. The fact that you've even taken it for repairs and you don't know either is really strange IMO.

BTW, I thought you said you couldn't wear rings every day because of your job? Or was that just the one ring, when you didn't like it?

vCash
    Could Littman special order it for you?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Quadless
    vCash
    Only problem is that Littman has his money, probably won't refund, and they don't carry this set.
    Trust me, they will refund. The only unknown is how much effort it will take on your part for them to do so. Be firm, escalate to the manager, and if that fails, threaten to escalate to the Better Business Bureau, to write a letter to your local paper (most papers have some type of consumer advocate), and to post all over Facebook, Twitter, and every message board you can find how their cheap merchandise and lousy customer service ruined what was supposed to be the best moment of your life. They will cave, eventually.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Trust me, they will refund. The only unknown is how much effort it will take on your part for them to do so. Be firm, escalate to the manager, and if that fails, threaten to escalate to the Better Business Bureau, to write a letter to your local paper (most papers have some type of consumer advocate), and to post all over Facebook, Twitter, and every message board you can find how their cheap merchandise and lousy customer service ruined what was supposed to be the best moment of your life. They will cave, eventually.
    This, plus I think you should have a lawyer write them a letter. It shouldn't cost very much for a letter & trust me, you will get a full refund. Also your local TV station may have a watchdog-type program....just the threat of that may be enough to make them fold.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think it's a stronger sentiment to take the diamonds and gold and see if it's feasible to turn into a setting for another ring. By doing so you'll be taking the best elements of what you have and forging into something stronger, which is a good metaphor for a marriage.
    I like that metaphor.

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Woodstock, I'm so sorry you are having all this trouble with your ring. I don't have an engagement ring, just a wedding band with diamonds in it. I do have another ring my husband bought me at an antique store. I suspect it was someone's engagement ring but it is totally impractical for everyday wear. I were it on my right hand on special occasions. Perhaps you could have the replacement ring sized for your right hand and then have a wedding band for you left hand. You could get a plain band now and then perhaps something with diamonds to go with it for your 10th or 20th anniversary.
    That's what my friend does with her 1.54ct engagement ring, because two rings sitting on the same finger (especially with the honker that eats up her ring finger) is just too much. She says that's how it used to be done back in the olden days.

Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Consumerist! They just eat this stuff up.

Although, brace yourselves - I fully expect some of the commenters will take your fiance to task for not doing his homework on such a big ticket item. Even so, the damage has been done and the store should have done more to educate their customers instead of ripping them off. Ahat's to be done now is to fix the situation the best you can.

Good luck!

vCash
    I don't know what to do because I think either way it won't be perfect. I should have not worn it and let it grow on me and made him exchange it right after christmas, because now I love the delicate little broken thing. But it's completely unsuitable for an engagement ring. And we can't afford to keep this for special occasions and get me another. I'm about to say box this, don't even bother to get a band for it, and get a nice wedding band. But then I'll never wear my engagement ring, and I won't be able to wear it with my wedding ring. It was just impractical as a purchase. I knew it, he didn't.
    Woodstock, I'm with Bittybug - they will give you a refund if you give them a hard enough time and you've every reason too to put up a good fight. Were it me, I'd take the money and run.

This situation wasn't one that went perfectly but it doesn't mean you made any mistakes or should have done anything differently. I'd say put the situation behind you and don't try to find any hidden meaning in it. You have a wedding to look forward to, a whole life ahead of you with a fiance you love, and a wedding band to choose - and you'll make darn sure to get the one that suits, I'm sure.

Sometimes things in life just don't go as planned. When you're old and grey you'll be telling the engagement ring story to your grandchildren and laughing about it. In the end, it will probably be far more memorable than just getting the engagement ring of your dreams.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Is this the same Littman's?
    http://www.littmanjewelers.com/

If so, do store sales have a different guarantee than online sales, where the guarantee is:

Guarantee of Satisfaction
    If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will gladly accept your return up to 60 days from date of purchase. (Watches may be returned within 30 days if they have not been worn or sized). Sales receipt must accompany this guarantee.
    If the guarantee is the same, was this purchase an exception in writing; examples: "as-is", final sale, special materials, special order, etc.?

Did re-sizing change the original guarantee?

Even if this is the case, because the resizing damaged the integrity of the ring, you might have an argument. If they've offered to replace the ring with one made in your size, why didn't they do that in the beginning, instead of re-sizing the ring? They're either going to eat the wholesale value of the new ring if they replace it, or they're going to send it back as a manufacturing defect and get credit for it. If the former, I don't see the incentive for not issuing a refund, since it will cost them to replace the ring, in addition to losing goodwill.

According to their Lifetime Guarantee policy on the site, opals, pearls, and emeralds are excluded from it, and if the wings crack or are otherwise damaged apart from the setting issue, you're SOL.

If they're willing to issue a store credit for something other than the original ring, they refuse to issue a refund, and for whatever reason they don't want to order what you'd like as a replacement,

1. Would the diamonds in your current ring fit into the setting you want?
    2. If not, is there another piece in the store -- pendant, ring, pin, etc. -- that has the size and shape diamonds in the ring you want?
    3. Do they sell loose stones?

When I worked for Artcarved in the early '80's, they sold engagement ring settings separately, along with matching bands when they had them. It might be possible to remove the stones from another piece and have them set in the ring you want.

vCash
    I love the delicate little broken thing. But it's completely unsuitable for an engagement ring. And we can't afford to keep this for special occasions and get me another. I'm about to say box this, don't even bother to get a band for it, and get a nice wedding band. But then I'll never wear my engagement ring, and I won't be able to wear it with my wedding ring. It was just impractical as a purchase. I knew it, he didn't.
    This says it all. The ring was causing you angst when you got it. You weren't sure that it was right for you. Now, it's broken. I'm sure that you've grown to feel something for the ring, but as you said it's impractical. Return it - it's DEFECTIVE. You're not exchanging it because you changed your mind about it, it BROKE within the 60 day policy time. It will most likely break again. Resizing can break the return policy at some stores, but if the product is defective... Did you sign anything when it was sized? Was there a hold harmless type of clause stating that if the integrity of the ring is compromised by resizing - they are not responsible? If not, go after them. Litmans is a big store. If they refuse a refund, but will grant an exchange, I'm sure you can find something you like. It may not be a butterfly, but is that what you really want? Or have you talked yourself into it? First things first: Stop the repair. Tell them you want a refund. Fight to get your money back or a store credit. Then worry about the new ring.

As far as resetting the stones in the existing ring - What is the total diamond weight? The diamonds may be so small that their value is inconsequential. The gold is probably worth more, but how heavy is the gold weight in the ring? The mother of pearl, even in a new setting, is not for every day. It can crack and can stain - too delicate. Most jewelers won't melt down your gold for a new ring. They will buy the gold and that will offset the cost of a new ring. Honestly, taking tiny stones out of a ring, that may or may not have enough gold, and making a new ring, will probably cost you more than just getting a new ring. Get an estimate before you a make that decision. I still think your best bet is return it and demand some sort of refund or credit.
    Last edited by cruisin; 01-24-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast