Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    For the 'groom's' wedding cake, make him a butterfly one
    Every time I hear the words "groom's cake," I think of that bleeding armadillo cake from Steel Magnolias.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I just learned today that tanzanite was not discovered until 1967! And, you guessed it, it was discovered in Tanzania.
    Not just discovered there, it is the only place it has ever been found and mined. There are only two mines, one is mostly depleted, the other was flooded several years ago. One of the reasons that tanzanite is so expensive is the rarity of the stone and it's beautiful color. It was originally called blue zoisite and marketed by Tiffany. It did not take off in the 60s/70s. It wasn't until the late 80s/early 90s that the stone became popular. If you ever get to see a larger, truly vivid tanzanite, it will take your breath away. They are stunning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Every time I hear the words "groom's cake," I think of that bleeding armadillo cake from Steel Magnolias.
    Ha ha ha I just watched that movie last night , love it!

vCash
    For a truly unique (and shockingly high priced) ring, you can get one made from your very own DNA. http://dna2diamonds.com

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    And all you need is someone's hair or their cremated ashes!
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    For a truly unique (and shockingly high priced) ring, you can get one made from your very own DNA. http://dna2diamonds.com
    I would love to get a mother's ring/bracelet/necklace (one of those) out of this. I can clip each of my kids' hairs and it would be something for me to cherish forever!

vCash
    I am an amateur gemologist and have been salivating at the chance to show pictures of beautiful gemstones:

Here is an exceptional, rare, unheated zoisite (tanzanite): make sure to click on the "more images icon" to see all the different photos and colours...

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/14956

Another photo: left side of the gems shows its primary hue, blue on the left, secondary hue, purple on the right: http://rwwise.com/blog/?tag=tanzanite

vCash
    Wow, and only $6500! At that price I should get two and breed them

(apparently I have been in the kitchen too long cooking for our new year's party.)
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    I was in a 'mall' jewelry store, and I wearing a cheap $2 ring. The jeweler asked me how many ct. of diamonds I was wearing .

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    I was in a 'mall' jewelry store, and I wearing a cheap $2 ring. The jeweler asked me how many ct. of diamonds I was wearing .
    Time to give the jeweler the side-eye and back out slowly.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    My dad used to take me to the Museum of Natural History, and I only cared about the dinosaurs and the gemstones, which were then in a big, sunny room in specimen cases.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Time to give the jeweler the side-eye and back out slowly.
    Naw, she should have sold it to him!
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Naw, she should have sold it to him!
    Someone tried that with a mail-in cash for gold program. Spray painted a bunch of plastic junk gold. It actually worked - they got a couple bucks for it.

vCash
    I think you may be at the start of a very slippery slope. It's commendable that you're squashing your feelings about the whole thing to spare your fiancee's, but he sounds fairly implacable to me. I realize he mentioned taking the ring back, but it sure sounds like you got guilted into keeping it.

Mother of pearl is organic, and will not withstand everyday wear. Eventually, it will lose it's luster and dry out and crack. Those pave diamonds will need a soak in a cleanser every now and again, but Mother of pearl cannot be soaked in a cleanser. It's a terrible idea for an engagement ring. You even stated the yellow color of the material looks sallow on your skin. Getting the band designed around it just ensures you can only wear the band with that ring. It sounds pretty futile, IMO.

I don't know you from Adam, but it sure sounds like you are walking on eggshells around this guy. If he's so sensitive and "romantic" that you cave into wearing an unsuitable and from what I can envision, ugly, ring that's meant for everyday wear, what's next? If he can't take you telling him kindly and logically why you want the set that's not only functional and maybe even cheaper, you may need to be prepared to concede more than is healthy in your married life.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I don't know you from Adam, but it sure sounds like you are walking on eggshells around this guy. If he's so sensitive and "romantic" that you cave into wearing an unsuitable and from what I can envision, ugly, ring that's meant for everyday wear, what's next? If he can't take you telling him kindly and logically why you want the set that's not only functional and maybe even cheaper, you may need to be prepared to concede more than is healthy in your married life.
    But you are assuming she did explain kindly and logically back when he was digging in his heels about it. From what woodstock said, she didn't really do that, but was much more indirect and they only had an honest conversation after she broke down and cried in front of him.

So it seems like they both have stuff to work on: her being more direct and him listening better.

But that's okay. No one is perfect and there is no requirement to have it all worked out prior to the marriage for a marriage to succeed.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    But you are assuming she did explain kindly and logically back when he was digging in his heels about it. From what woodstock said, she didn't really do that, but was much more indirect and they only had an honest conversation after she broke down and cried in front of him.

So it seems like they both have stuff to work on: her being more direct and him listening better.

But that's okay. No one is perfect and there is no requirement to have it all worked out prior to the marriage for a marriage to succeed.
    Agree. Woodstock and fiance definitely seemed to come to more of an agreement as this went on. As long as both are willing to admit their faults and improve on their communication, I don't see how this is in any way a dealbreaker. It's only when someone is afraid of being honest or not listening, that things go bad.

I mean, the ring not lasting is obviously a concern, but if that's how woodstock and her fiance want to spend their money, that's how they want to spend their money.

Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Mother of pearl is organic, and will not withstand everyday wear. Eventually, it will lose it's luster and dry out and crack. Those pave diamonds will need a soak in a cleanser every now and again, but Mother of pearl cannot be soaked in a cleanser. It's a terrible idea for an engagement ring.
    Seems like a number of people here know about jewelry - I will welcome any expertise. Thanks to this thread (thank you woodstock!) my bf and I are talking about taking the next step. But neither of us know ANYTHING about fine jewelry and our purchasing habits are quite similar to woodstock and her fiance's. Meaning, I trust my shopping research much better than his. I'm totally planning on giving him a list of stuff I like/need and then send him on his merry way.

What I need is a low-profile solitaire. I hate anything extremely blingy and I think a single 0.25-0.5 carat with a good cut would be perfect for me. I have teeny hands and I'm a casual minimalist so anything bigger would look redonkulous, plus anything that costs more than $2000 I would probably be too afraid to wear. I also work in a lab so that would require something that would go smoothly under gloves. So far I think a bezel/semibezel setting, cathedral setting, or a cross-prong setting would work. I've looked at tension settings but they seem a little precarious to me. Anyone have any opinions on that?

What's currently befuddling me is metals. I don't have any skin allergies to my knowledge, but I've also never really worn jewelry. I think platinum is fairly accepted as being hypoallergenic, but that's obviously $$$. What about 14K or 18K white gold, or palladium?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Anita18; 01-01-2012 at 11:45 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Anita18, after the stone on one of my old boss' ring came loose from a pronged setting, she asked her husband of 15+ years if he would mind if she had it reset, and she designed a full bezel setting, in which the top of the stone was barely raised from the surface of the band. She loved it, especially since it not longer got caught on things. It looked like this one, except instead of a tension setting, the band goes all the way around the stone:
    http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement...ire-rings.html

It looked mostly like this, except because they got married very young and the stone wasn't very big, although it was quite beautiful, the stone didn't extend past the band:
    http://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Jewel...ond-Rings.html

This is a photo of one that shows a decorative band, not a plain band with the stone set in the middle, and suggests that bezel bands can come in many designs.

http://engagementrings.lovetoknow.co...Bezel_Settings

vCash
    So far I think a bezel/semibezel setting, cathedral setting, or a cross-prong setting would work. I've looked at tension settings but they seem a little precarious to me. Anyone have any opinions on that?
    It's very pretty, but it looks high. I would get at least a .5ct stone, you don't realize how small a .25 stone is until you see it set. If you get a .25, you might want to get it with a halo of pave diamonds around it, it will make it brighter. Not blingier, but brighter.

What's currently befuddling me is metals. I don't have any skin allergies to my knowledge, but I've also never really worn jewelry. I think platinum is fairly accepted as being hypoallergenic, but that's obviously $$$. What about 14K or 18K white gold, or palladium?

Thanks in advance.
    Don't get a stone set in 18kt gold, it's too soft. 14 is stronger. Technically 14 gold is a bit stronger than platinum. But platinum is more flexible and less brittle. That is why large, $$$ stones are usually set in platinum. White gold is more silvery than platinum, which has a slightly yellow cast to it. The price of gold, right now, is so high that there is very little $$ difference between gold and platinum. Paladium is lighter than gold or platinum, but for a ring, I can't see that as being a big issue. I would shy away from palladium, it could be a short lived trend. One reason to chose platinum over white gold is the amount of nickel in white gold. Some people can have allergic reactions to the nickel. I, personally prefer yellow gold. Many people prefer white settings for diamonds, as the white setting makes the diamond appear more white, in color. I like the way yellow gold makes a diamond sparkle. It's really very personal.

But, again, I would not go smaller than a half carat, if that works for you financially. I think you could get a very, very nice 1/2ct ring in the $2,000 range.

vCash
    I've found myself allergic to nickel, where I used to be able to wear it. I'd also suggest you avoid the white gold for that reason; just in case.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Palladium is very difficult to size and work with - or so I have been taught. It is to be expected that wedding jewelry will probably need to be sized or repaired at some time. I would avoid it for that reason.

Platinum is a softer metal than gold. However, due to it's chemical structure, Platinum does not wear away as Gold does. So, over time, Platinum develops a brushed look, whereas gold remains quite glossy.
    White Gold is usually sold with a Rhodium coating that wears away over time. The Rhodium plating can be replaced, and some jewelers encourage women to have their WG "dipped" every year. There is a charge, of course

That said - some people like the warm color that White Gold shows over time. IMHO, it works well on women with brown or yellow tones in their skin. Platinum is a white metal, and it remains very cool in tone. It looks great on women with pink tones, but really, it is quite neutral.

Personally, I like the brushed look, and Platinum works well with my skin tones. But women who like a more "finished" look are sometimes bothered by the fact that it scratches more easily than Gold. However, Platinum does not wear away like gold does. I inherited my grandmother's Platinum engagement ring, which she wore everyday. No Gold ring could take that kind of abuse and still be wearable.

The color differences are subtle - and the cost differences are substantial. So consider that. After all, the ring is for you, not your Granddaughter.

As for the allergy - can't you just wear a 14k ring for a few weeks, and see what happens?

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast