Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

vCash
    Woodstock, I would love to see a pic of your ring set once it's finished. You really have my curiosity going, and the band the jeweler is going to create for you sounds so pretty!

Pretty please!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    kikisashafan, i think your ring is gorgeous
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Title-less
    vCash
    I second the request

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    And....I like the ring again.

We went to the proper jeweler (and boy did my fiance realize the difference in knowledge and service!). It will require a custom band. Plain gold will cost (very general estimate) about $800. The jeweler actually reccomended if I wanted a bit more jewels (um, more bling? yes please!) that he could put in small yellow sapphires, set similar to the diamonds in the butterfly "spine", in the wedding band. That way it would contrast from the butterfly itself so that the butterfly effect was still very noticeable and intact, and add a bit more sparkle. The jeweled version will run roughly $1000. To which my fiance said "well that's not bad at all". (side note by me, love him, but that's a cr**load of money IMO! One of my bookmarked wedding SETS was just under $1000! It makes me sad that in total he's spending probably $600 more than the cost of materials for this ring set due to it requiring custom work and being non-traditional). But I like this jewelers suggestions. We both do. The jeweler also came up with some ideas to adjust the one wingtip that should remove the problem of it poking against my finger, so that should be fixed soon enough.
    And she's right. If I truly hated it, I wouldn't be wearing it practically 24/7.It's already more sentimental to me than I really was admitting to myself. I just need to wrap my mind away from the mental image I've had for years of my wedding set being this 1/2 carat solitare with a sparkly diamond band or wrap.

Instead I have a very pretty golden mother of pearl and diamond butterfly ring with most likely a yellow sapphire wedding band to match. And my fiance loves me so much that he risked breaking out in hives at the dreaded mall to find it for me.
    Aww.. I think this sounds very sweet. I can't begin to count the number of times some misunderstanding between DH and I has gone from
    1) horrifying disaster
    to
    2) manageable disaster
    to
    3) something pretty great that I had never thought of before
    to
    4) joking about #1

#3 and #4 are like the life blood of a marriage, but still after 25 years, we never think of #3 and #4 when we encounter #1. You seem to have moved pretty quickly. Good for you.

Wishing you all the best!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Eventually I forgot all about the engagement period, which lasted only a couple of months anyway, and found other things to dislike, some even more than the engagement ring, many of them about myself. In spite of this, I continue to be married, although our annual review is coming up in February and we WILL be discussing certain failings in our best practices. There is no resting on your laurels in this organization .
    O.M.G. I read this to DH and he could not catch his breath. We will now be referring to our anniversary as our annual review. We've never even thought about articulating best practices. This is gonna be so much more fun than the performance review crap we have to do at work!

vCash
    So all this talk about rings interested me because I am non-traditionalist when it comes to rings because I can't stand your typical rings that really "stand up" off your hand; I like flat rings that don't snag. When I was 12 my dad had me pick out a purity ring to wear, and even though he was willing to buy a much more expensive ring, I ended up picking out a cheap ring from Walmart because it was the only one I liked. It's a gold ring with a heart shaped outline, and then three small rubies ovals inside the heart (well, just two now since one fell out years ago and it would cost more to replace the ruby than it would to buy a whole new ring, so I never got it fixed). I love it and I wore it constantly until just this summer when I started working in food service.

Anyway, I was looking online to try and find a photo of my ring when I stumbled upon this and it reminded me of Woodstock's ring! http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/ruby...butterfly-ring I think it's very cute, so if your ring looks anything like that, Woodstock, I'd be oohing and ahhing over it too.

On another subject, this is the kind of ring that I like, although I'd like one with just a LITTLE larger stones, lol. http://www.google.com/imgres?start=2...zoom=1&chk=sbg Don't really want diamond because it's kind of boring; sapphires or emeralds would be lovely!

Yeesh, I guess if I ever plan on getting engaged, I will have to pick out my own ring because I am WAY too picky about this kind of thing, haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    My husband gets all of my jewelry in a mall jewelry store. I am not a big jewelry nut but I love tanzanite and topaz. I wear jewelry when we have a special night out. It is impractical for me to wear a lot of jewelry at work so it is just my 3 rings from hubby.

I want a tanzanite necklace and ring as well as a family ring and then I am good. The family ring is gonna be hard though...all the styles are so 'granny' like. LOL!
    I love tanzanite too. I have a few pieces. My wedding ring has tanzanites and tiny diamonds. It looks really pretty with the traditional diamond engagement ring (w/Mom's stone ). I got the tanzanite wedding ring years after we got married. I looked and looked at diamond wedding bands and none interested me. Then I got the idea to put tanzanites in one and I had my favorite jeweler make it for me. I am fortunate that I have a very good jeweler, who I can trust, to work with. He has always been completely honest with me. I know, because I have sold older gold pieces to him. He always gives me more for the gold than any other place I have gotten estimates from. When my Mom passed, I got another diamond, my jeweler reset it for me. I designed the setting and he cast it - it is magnificent! And I think of Mom ever time I wear it.

Just in case you don't know this: most tanzanites are heated for color, they start out a reddish brown. Tanzanites are rather soft and will scratch easily. They are pleochroic/trichroic, blue, violet, pink. The most valuable ones are a very dark blue, that still refract violet and pink. Most smaller tanzanites are lighter, and tend more toward lavender blue. Very important - NEVER clean a tanzanite in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner - they can fracture.
    Last edited by cruisin; 12-30-2011 at 02:22 PM.

vCash
    Tanzanite is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind having a tanzanite ring.

Woodstock, I like that you get to have yellow sapphires in your wedding band. One of my own favorite rings has yellow and sky-blue sapphires in it. Sapphire is my birthstone and I do love the regular dark-blue ones, but I still think that it's cool that it comes in so many different colors!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fluorescein View Post
    O.M.G. I read this to DH and he could not catch his breath. We will now be referring to our anniversary as our annual review. We've never even thought about articulating best practices. This is gonna be so much more fun than the performance review crap we have to do at work!
    We've never actually articulated best practices, either.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    We've never actually articulated best practices, either.
    That could easily be a whole other thread.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerTyger View Post
    Yes. It almost always does.
    uhm, unrelated question but, if you don't go to a jewelry store in a mall, than where do you go? The only jewelry stores I have ever seen are located inside malls, or they are stand-alone stores that are the exact same company that is "in" the mall? So what's the difference? Maybe its cause I live in Suburbia?

Congratulations on your engagement woodstock! I'm glad everything seems to be working out now in regards to your ring.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I think they mean private, local jewelry stores. I went to Jared for my rings, which is not in a mall, but it's probably still considered a "bad" store by many.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Agree! For me, it wasn't the ring, the dress, or ceremony/reception. I never thought about any of that - just the GUY. That was all I dreamed about.
    I took OE's comment to mean not every girl dreams of getting married. I sure as hell don't want to. I'm not a gambling woman and making that kind of life move is too much of a crapshot for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I think they mean private, local jewelry stores. I went to Jared for my rings, which is not in a mall, but it's probably still considered a "bad" store by many.
    Jared sells certified diamonds - but you will pay top-dollar for them.
    Jared's and Kay's are owned by the same parent company.

IJO jewelers are usually trustworthy. Thought much of the private IJO line isn't to my liking.
    You can also check a jewelers standing with the BBB.
    A jeweler with good credit in the industry will be able to order in samples of any stone that you are interested in. If you are interested in a carat princess-cut, then the jeweler should be able to produce one within a few days for your perusal. If you want to see a Tanzanite, then the jeweler should be able to produce a stone to meet your specifications. A jeweler who can't do that, at no cost to you, either has bad credit, or is giving you bad service. Either way, move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Tanzanite is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind having a tanzanite ring.

Woodstock, I like that you get to have yellow sapphires in your wedding band. One of my own favorite rings has yellow and sky-blue sapphires in it. Sapphire is my birthstone and I do love the regular dark-blue ones, but I still think that it's cool that it comes in so many different colors!
    I just learned today that tanzanite was not discovered until 1967! And, you guessed it, it was discovered in Tanzania.

I had a few minutes to kill in the mall so a was browsing through a jewelry store. Sapphires are very big this year. Must be the royal influence.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    It's lucky you like butterflies instead of frogs.

Glad it's all working out. Now to plan the wedding. We want details.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I took OE's comment to mean not every girl dreams of getting married.
    And you are wrong. I meant the bended-knee fairy-tale proposal thing.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    For the 'groom's' wedding cake, make him a butterfly one
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 12-31-2011 at 01:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And you are wrong. I meant the bended-knee fairy-tale proposal thing.
    That's all right I don't want that either. IMO if a guy feels the need to make such a grand show of things, he's trying way harder than he has to. Maybe it's just my austere upbringing (the concept of voluntary simplicity is very appealing to me), but I get suspicious when someone tries that hard. And blowing several month's pay on a piece of jewelry - downright silly, not to mention very irresponsible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    For the 'groom's' wedding cake, make him a butterfly one
    LOL! I'm just glad I didn't get a ring with a dog image. I own a very dear little brittany spaniel and in fact he is the reason we met. Fiance was walking his son to the local playground and I was walking by with my very friendly doggy. If I hadn't had the dog chances are I would not have been walking around the block that day. Hello's were exchanged, the rest is history.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast