Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    I think some posters on here would be happier if she had followed the "Weir" path..

(AKA as "try to become a celebrity for being outrageous")

The fact is that most "sports" stars in ANY sport often don't "leave" the sport. Sometimes it's because they love it and want to give back, but sadly it's often because they feel they have NO other options. Having dedicated thier life to the sport they may feel they have no options to "prepare" to do anything else. Yes, Michelle's earnings made it easier to go to college, but that's not to say other elite athletes couldn't do it the same way most of us did (debt, scholarships, part time jobs etc....)

Look at the thread on one of Michlle's "peers" on this very board. Fumie Surgi was skating at the same time as Michelle. It now appears to the outsider that Fumie is unable to "move on" She didn't achieve the "goal" and keeps trying when it appears that the goal is actually moving farther away not closer. Michelle's goal appeared to be Olympic Gold Medal, but she was able to make that break.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Has Michelle taken the FSOT yet? At this point I can't judge the level of her passion for her new work, as many on here seem able to do.
    Personally, I'm not judging anything - just taking her at her word when she's said in interviews that she was passionate about school and her work as an envoy. And while she may choose to work for the State Department, she may also choose a different path. She's currently co-chairing an IOC committee on women in sports and acting as an advisor to the U.S.-China Women's Leadership Exchange and Dialogue (Women-LEAD). She may decide that following a non-govt path is more suited to her talents, but I don't see how that indicates she's any less committed.

Whatever path she decides, I wish her all the best.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I think some posters on here would be happier if she had followed the "Weir" path..

(AKA as "try to become a celebrity for being outrageous")

The fact is that most "sports" stars in ANY sport often don't "leave" the sport. Sometimes it's because they love it and want to give back, but sadly it's often because they feel they have NO other options. Having dedicated thier life to the sport they may feel they have no options to "prepare" to do anything else. Yes, Michelle's earnings made it easier to go to college, but that's not to say other elite athletes couldn't do it the same way most of us did (debt, scholarships, part time jobs etc....)

Look at the thread on one of Michlle's "peers" on this very board. Fumie Surgi was skating at the same time as Michelle. It now appears to the outsider that Fumie is unable to "move on" She didn't achieve the "goal" and keeps trying when it appears that the goal is actually moving farther away not closer. Michelle's goal appeared to be Olympic Gold Medal, but she was able to make that break.
    In truth, folks take many different paths..which is good.

Michelle has chosen a life now which is outside of skating and that is great.

Someone like Brian Boitano still skates (and I hope that he skates forever) , plus his cooking show, cook book, charities, etc.

I don't have a problem with the path that Johnny is taking. He wrote a book, he continues to work (skate), certainly seems to be in demand, and is pretty much "self-made" having come from a very modest background.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I really find this statement a bit ludicrous, Many of the Canton ice dancers attend the U of Mich, Alex Shib, Evan Bates, Charlie White, Meryl Davis...not a cheap school by any means..I really don't understand the point of your post..Many yrs ago MK made the statement that "Education was impt to the Kwan family.." Both Ron and Karen went to college..What I admire about MK was that when she withdrew from Torino, she hopped on a plane and enrolled in school. She graduated. She then enrolled in a Masters program. She graduated. She has found a second passion in her life and I applaud her for it. Yes, and being an "ice princess" may have opened a few doors for her. I assume that Condi Rice, a former skater and Sec of State at the time, was a Kwan fan. She obviously recognized MK's character traits, etc. and felt that she would be a good fit for the envoy position. I'm thrilled for MK, for the work that she is doing now, the work that she has done in the past and the kind of young woman that she is. Instead of snarking and dissecting and blathering on about how fortunate she is..I'm just applauding her induction into the HOF..and happy to be a fan of a young woman who "in fact lived her life as if a child were watching.." loosely quoting Christine Brennan from Feb. 06..

ETA..""....and in fact lived every moment of her life as if a child might be watching..."
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    You know what they say about luck: hardworking, successful people make their own!
    ITA on both above and others. What I'm usually frustrated about is that sometimes people seem to have a hard time understanding that famous athletes are able to take some advantage from their fame to make another door open for them, whether that door is open for career or endorsements per-se. It's their own gift and all those hard-works that are rewarded with material assets, and let's not forget, we're living in a capitalized world. People give a shit to what they "want" to see or listen or whatever. What do you expect? That people should distribute their "shit" to everyone equally just to be able to have an argument that "it is fair now"?

And one thing to remember, the person of interest in this discussion, MK, is a heck of a good person who knows and continues to "use" her fame(it's a fact, yeah I'm facing it enough) and handsomely received payments she received during her skating career for the good of the world. Just think of what Michelle has done/served this year alone, which I can't even name and remember everything since there were A LOT. If it weren't for the fact she is a legendary skater who is well-loved around the world, what she's trying to promote and help wouldn't have been spotlighted that easily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    Some folks are born into way more than Michelle has now and don't do nearly as much in their whole lives as she's accomplished to date. I'd say she's a pretty amazing human being, and I look forward to all the amazing things she'll likely accomplish in the future.
    Yes. Look at Paris Hilton. She has all the opportunity in the world to have a great education. It would be easy for Michelle to rest on her laurels. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But you know...she actually had to go to class and study and get good grades. She didn't just show up and pass her finals every semester.

How is MK putting herself through college any different than an athlete out of high school getting a full scholarship? People who are good in the sports sometimes have doors open for them that other people who are not good at sports do not have.
    Last edited by UGG; 12-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.

vCash
    If she passes the Foreign Service exam, I will be seriously impressed. I knew some very smart, dedicated people who didn't pass it. One of them switched and took the agricultural foreign service exam, passed that and has had a wonderful career working in China. He says the farmers there are just like farmers here, they speak their mind. The gov't can't "control" life in rural villages as well as it does in the cities, so it has been fascinating for him. Also fascinating for us to hear his stories.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    If she passes the Foreign Service exam, I will be seriously impressed.
    We don't know that she hasn't done so.
    I doubt that she would publicize it.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    What I'm usually frustrated about is that sometimes people seem to have a hard time understanding that famous athletes are able to take some advantage from their fame to make another door open for them, whether that door is open for career or endorsements per-se. It's their own gift and all those hard-works that are rewarded with material assets, and let's not forget, we're living in a capitalized world. People give a shit to what they "want" to see or listen or whatever. What do you expect? That people should distribute their "shit" to everyone equally just to be able to have an argument that "it is fair now"?
    I'm not "forgetting" that being successful in one field can open doors in another. I'm just annoyed that people are using this fact to dismiss MK's accomplishments.

Plus, the kinds of doors that being a famous athlete opens are limited to certain kinds of door.

Do you think it opens doors to an academic profession? I think you'd have to work harder to prove yourself to your colleagues doing impeccable research to get over their prejudices against the "dumb jock" rather than that helping you. OTOH, going into a celebrity profession is definitely going to be easier.

But in the end, you aren't going to just automatically have success in one profession just because you have success in another. Hollywood is littered with unsuccessful actors who got a head start due to being successful athletes but didn't have the acting chops to success in acting.

I know some of you think you are being "realistic" by pointing out that MK is rich and that her fame in figure skating has opened some doors but you are actually coming across as a sourpuss who can't be genuinely happy for a person who has accomplished a lot.

It's like I would come to you and say "I got a promotion at my job!" and instead of saying "Congratulations! It couldn't have come to a more deserving person." say something like "well, they were probably looking to have more women in upper management" and then defending such a sour grapes statement with "I'm just being realistic."
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    MacMadame - I'm cyber-kissing you on the lips!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I admire Michelle Kwan, I always have. However, she is more fortunate than most elite skaters in that she earned a nice living from the sport for several years. If she hadn't, she might not be able to afford the University of Denver and Harvard.
    Must've been that lucky red necklace

I suppose Michelle (and Tara/Sarah/Sasha) was somewhat lucky to be skating in the glow of the Post-Whack figure skating craze, but I think Michelle extended the craze through her beautiful skating and her many competitive accomplishments. She also won hearts (and endorsements) with her classy behavior, for instance after Nagano ("I like you Tara," "I won the silver"). I think most people's success in life is attributable in part to luck, but I don't think Michelle is luckier than the average person. JMO, though.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    ITA with Cheylena. There is a degree of luck in everything we do. Yes, Michelle was lucky to not have been born in Iraq. She probably never would have tried skating if that were the case. Yes, she had the good fortune to have loving, supportive parents. Many people, who have achieved a lot less, have had the same good fortune. I tell my kids this all the time. They have had the good fortune of where they are born and the family they are born into ... Everything after that is hard work and good management.
    Congratulations Michelle!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    MacMadame - I'm cyber-kissing you on the lips!
    Me too! Unfortunately, I must spread some reputation around before I can rep MacMadame again. Too bad.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Me too! Unfortunately, I must spread some reputation around before I can rep MacMadame again. Too bad.
    I'll survive. Well, I will if you guys don't give me Ebola or something.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Don't worry. The sores have gone away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    There is no harm in pointing out the differences in her circumstances and, certainly, there was no malicious intent on my part. I admire her wanting to live a useful life when with her wealth she could just choose to drift and rest on her past achievements.
    When discussing Michelle's current circumstances don't forget that her present status is due to her tallent and hard work (yes skating 10 hours a day is real work). During her competitive years there were many competitors that had much more financial support helping them than did Michelle

Michelle is a true success story that, in my opinion will lead to future "good luck" in her chosen field. A skater knows how to compete and can transfer that knowledge to any chosen endevor. It is hard to turn off real drive for excellence.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Cheers to you, Mr. Stillwell!

vCash
    Lovely article, thanks for posting! I thought it was so touching when the author mentions MK going skating on the National Mall with her nieces and falling and still having a wonderful time. That's our girl!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    ...I think most people's success in life is attributable in part to luck, but I don't think Michelle is luckier than the average person. JMO, though...
    Are you serious? The average person isn't blessed with exceptional athletic talent. It IS possible to be a big fan of Michelle Kwan the skater and woman while still acknowledging that she hit the genetic jackpot when it comes to skating talent.

vCash
    Are blessings the same as luck?
    Yes, I think Cheylana is serious.
    What will it take for you to stop discussing this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Are blessings the same as luck?
    Yes, I think Cheylana is serious.
    What will it take for you to stop discussing this?
    The easy way. if one does not like the thread, is not to read it or at least do not respond.
    Morry Stillwell

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast