Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    You know what they say about luck: hardworking, successful people make their own!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Because it's dismissive of all the hard work that went into her career.
    This^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Because it's dismissive of all the hard work that went into her career.

Plus, the only luck involved was having the talent to do triples. Winning competitions like Nationals and Worlds is not like wining the lottery. It takes talent, which you are born with, but it takes a hell of a lot of hard work and making good decisions too.

Finally, it's not like these schools are out of reach for kids who aren't multi-millionaires. Plenty of kids from middle class backgrounds go to these schools and even kids from the wrong side of the tracks.
    ^^^This.
    IMO, the only "luck" Michelle had was that she was born with a gift that few people have. It wasn't luck that she cultivated that talent to become a legend. She wasn't "lucky" like some skaters in that she was not born into wealth. She certain;y wasn't "lucky" at the 3 Olympic Games she entered.
    As I stated before, MK EARNED everything she has.
    I don't understand why some people have so much trouble acknowledging that fact.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    ^^^This.
    IMO, the only "luck" Michelle had was that she was born with a gift that few people have. It wasn't luck that she cultivated that talent to become a legend. She wasn't "lucky" like some skaters in that she was not born into wealth. She certain;y wasn't "lucky" at the 3 Olympic Games she entered.
    As I stated before, MK EARNED everything she has.
    I don't understand why some people have so much trouble acknowledging that fact.
    Right on, Sparks!

vCash
    ^^^
    Bravo, Sparks.

vCash
    Sorry about the typos. I guess I wasn't lucky...

vCash
    Some folks are born into way more than Michelle has now and don't do nearly as much in their whole lives as she's accomplished to date. I'd say she's a pretty amazing human being, and I look forward to all the amazing things she'll likely accomplish in the future.

vCash
    Is this the MKF board...?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    ^ Board, no. Thread, yes.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I see Michelle and her sister, Karen, as two very different people with different lives and career paths. I can imagine Michelle giving an occasional coaching clinic (like she did when she visited Argentina as a public envoy a few years ago) in the future, but that's about it.
    I agree. I don't think she's ever been interested in coaching. She liked to compete and when she couldn't, she moved to other things.

I watched her skate from her earliest days and you could see something special about her. She will always be my favorite skater and epitomizes skating for me just the same as Gordeva/Grinkov. That she's become such an admirable young woman isn't at all surprising.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Saying it "isn't hard worK" wasn't literal - rather, I meant it sure beats waiting tables or digging ditches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ Board, no. Thread, yes.
    Happy thought, indeed!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Is this the MKF board...?
    I'm sure it seems that way to people who feel like only negativity is real.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Saying it "isn't hard worK" wasn't literal - rather, I meant it sure beats waiting tables or digging ditches.
    I get what you are saying but I think thinking jobs can be hard in their own way.

There are actually people out there who give up jobs in research and academia in order to do something that involves manual labor just to give their brains a rest. To them, digging ditches is easier than solving complex equations.

As for Michelle, I wouldn't want her job in a million years.

My mom travels a lot for her work going to receptions and giving speeches and such and it is hard work. While I think it's cool that she gets to go to all these exotic places, I recognize that I'd get sick of the travel pretty fast and it's not all free canapes and martinis.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Now now, MacMadame, you can't go too far in your defense lest we make people think this is MKF. At least those people who have some sort of chip on their shoulder.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Has Michelle taken the FSOT yet? At this point I can't judge the level of her passion for her new work, as many on here seem able to do. As someone pointed out, at this point most, if not all of her positions, have been part time and unsalaried. Of course, with her wealth, she is not under pressure to secure a paying position, as many recent college grads are, and she undoubtedly does not have large undergraduate and graduate loans to be repaid. When she does enter the foreign service she won't be starting at the top .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    So I'm still not getting why you would mention it at all, other than to give a backhanded compliment?

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Has Michelle taken the FSOT yet? At this point I can't judge the level of her passion for her new work, as many on here seem able to do. As someone pointed out, at this point most, if not all of her positions, have been part time and unsalaried. Of course, with her wealth, she is not under pressure to secure a paying position, as many recent college grads are, and she undoubtedly does not have large undergraduate and graduate loans to be repaid. When she does enter the foreign service she won't be starting at the top .
    We have established that Michelle is a wealthy young woman through the fruits of her hard work. Why then compare her to the other recent college grads? We could, if we wanted to, compare/contrast her wealth, what she is doing, how many manicures pedicures she gets, how many Stuart Weitzman prs of shoes she has, how many times hse works out, with other elite skaters who are recent college graduates..or who could have gone to college and chose not to..

vCash
    Michelle had also expressed interest in non-Foreign Service entities such as the World Bank and the IMF. She probably took the FSOT while still at Tufts.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    There is no harm in pointing out the differences in her circumstances and, certainly, there was no malicious intent on my part. I admire her wanting to live a useful life when with her wealth she could just choose to drift and rest on her past achievements.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast