Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I admire Michelle Kwan, I always have. However, she is more fortunate than most elite skaters in that she earned a nice living from the sport for several years. If she hadn't, she might not be able to afford the University of Denver and Harvard.
    I would venture to say most of her competitors, such as Tara and Sasha, would have been able to put themselves through college as well if they chose to go. Actually, most top tier Olympic athletes can probably put themselves through college if they want to as long as they don't blow all of their endorsements. So yes they are very lucky. I am crossing my fingers that my 10 month old son is some sort of prodigy (math, soccer, don't care!!!) in something so that he can get a scholarship to college. It is sooo expensive!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I would venture to say most of her competitors, such as Tara and Sasha, would have been able to put themselves through college as well if they chose to go. Actually, most top tier Olympic athletes can probably put themselves through college if they want to as long as they don't blow all of their endorsements. So yes they are very lucky.
    That's true. And in addition, Michelle would probably not have attained her current position as easily - or at all - without her celebrity status as a ice princess. Her profile as a spokesperson for Disney and Barbie (I think Barbie) also established her as a safe bet for diplomacy. She's not a girl to rock the boat or challenge the status quo.

But at the same time, not many top skaters do earn a Masters degree, reinvent themselves in the international diplomatic arena, and try to make a difference (at least to some extent).

For that, Michelle should be commended.

What she does isn't hard work, really, and she's probably handsomely paid. But it's still work and has required a strong commitment, a clear focus, and the courage and willingness to risk the unknown in terms of moving beyond the safe, small world of figure skating.

vCash
    What she does isn't hard work,
    How are you in a position to know, or judge, this?

vCash
    Does this mean that she is no longer "keeping her options open?" It sounds like she really has moved on.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    ... she's probably handsomely paid.
    She does not get paid for her position as a good-will ambassador for the State Department. I am not 100% sure about her service on the President's Fitness Council, the board of directors for the Special Olympics, etc., but typically these are volunteer positions, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nubka
    Does this mean that she is no longer "keeping her options open?" It sounds like she really has moved on.
    That's an interesting comment, because my first impression is that "keeping her options open" is exactly what Michelle is doing. She hasn't announced that she has signed on as Newt Gringrich's campaign manager or joined a foreign policy think tank. She is "keeping her options open." I wonder what will come her way!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I admire Michelle Kwan, I always have. However, she is more fortunate than most elite skaters in that she earned a nice living from the sport for several years. If she hadn't, she might not be able to afford the University of Denver and Harvard.
    I really find this statement a bit ludicrous, Many of the Canton ice dancers attend the U of Mich, Alex Shib, Evan Bates, Charlie White, Meryl Davis...not a cheap school by any means..I really don't understand the point of your post..Many yrs ago MK made the statement that "Education was impt to the Kwan family.." Both Ron and Karen went to college..What I admire about MK was that when she withdrew from Torino, she hopped on a plane and enrolled in school. She graduated. She then enrolled in a Masters program. She graduated. She has found a second passion in her life and I applaud her for it. Yes, and being an "ice princess" may have opened a few doors for her. I assume that Condi Rice, a former skater and Sec of State at the time, was a Kwan fan. She obviously recognized MK's character traits, etc. and felt that she would be a good fit for the envoy position. I'm thrilled for MK, for the work that she is doing now, the work that she has done in the past and the kind of young woman that she is. Instead of snarking and dissecting and blathering on about how fortunate she is..I'm just applauding her induction into the HOF..and happy to be a fan of a young woman who "in fact lived her life as if a child were watching.." loosely quoting Christine Brennan from Feb. 06..

ETA..""....and in fact lived every moment of her life as if a child might be watching..."
    Last edited by kwanette; 12-27-2011 at 06:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    ...a young woman who "in fact lived her life as if a child were watching..."
    This.

vCash
    I really find this statement a bit ludicrous, Many of the Canton ice dancers attend the U of Mich, Alex Shib, Evan Bates, Charlie White, Meryl Davis...not a cheap school by any means..I really don't understand the point of your post..Many yrs ago MK made the statement that "Education was impt to the Kwan family.." Both Ron and Karen went to college..What I admire about MK was that when she withdrew from Torino, she hopped on a plane and enrolled in school. She graduated. She then enrolled in a Masters program. She graduated. She has found a second passion in her life and I applaud her for it. Yes, and being an "ice princess" may have opened a few doors for her. I assume that Condi Rice, a former skater and Sec of State at the time, was a Kwan fan. She obviously recognized MK's character traits, etc. and felt that she would be a good fit for the envoy position. I'm thrilled for MK, for the work that she is doing now, the work that she has done in the past and the kind of young woman that she is. Instead of snarking and dissecting and blathering on about how fortunate she is..I'm just applauding her induction into the HOF..and happy to be a fan of a young woman who "in fact lived her life as if a child were watching.." loosely quoting Christine Brennan from Feb. 06..
    Furthermore, she often said her entire life would not be devoted to FS. She worked hard to make that happen...luck had very little to do with it. Every thing MK has is well earned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Furthermore, she often said her entire life would not be devoted to FS. She worked hard to make that happen...luck had very little to do with it. Every thing MK has is well earned.
    I have known Michelle for her full skating life. Seldom has any skater worked so hard at the sport. Even with a killer schedule Michelle kept her eye on education and what is important to her and her family.

My hope is to be still around when she runs for Congress or the Senate and to be able to work for her.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    "Applause" to: kwanette, Mathman, Sparks, and Morry Stillwell.

vCash
    I love the back-handed compliments some posters are posting here. Some praise indeed.

Congratulations to Michelle Kwan and all of her hard-earned accomplishments.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That's an interesting comment, because my first impression is that "keeping her options open" is exactly what Michelle is doing. She hasn't announced that she has signed on as Newt Gringrich's campaign manager or joined a foreign policy think tank. She is "keeping her options open." I wonder what will come her way!
    Breath. I meant options as in the skating/touring/possibly coaching world.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    ^ I know. I was trying to make a joke. Sorry. (Maybe she has signed on with Newt Gingrich. )
    Last edited by Mathman; 12-28-2011 at 12:14 AM.

vCash
    I really find this statement a bit ludicrous, Many of the Canton ice dancers attend the U of Mich, Alex Shib, Evan Bates, Charlie White, Meryl Davis...not a cheap school by any means..I really don't understand the point of your post...
    I'm pleased that Michelle Kwan seems to have transitioned into her post-skating life so well. However, the money she earned from touring with Champions on Ice and through endorsement deals helped in this smooth transition. Most elite skaters don't retire from the sport with that kind of nest egg. That nest egg gave Kwan options. The Michelle Kwans, the Sarah Hughes, the Sasha Cohens are very lucky in that regard.

The Canton ice dancers you mentioned are also very lucky. They have the financial means to attend college while also competing in a very expensive sport. Many elite skaters probably have to choose either college or skating once they finish high school.
    Last edited by Civic; 12-27-2011 at 11:15 PM.

vCash
    "Applause" to: kwanette, Mathman, Sparks, and Morry Stillwell.
    I second that applause!!! Go Michelle!

vCash
    Let me break it down for you. IMO, Michelle Kwan, is very fortunate in that she had the financial means to attend the University of Denver and Harvard when she retired from competitive figure skating. Is she an intelligent young woman? Yes. Did she express an interest in attending college throughout her competitive skating career? Yes, she did. She briefly attended UCLA many years ago but withdrew due to scheduling conflicts.

I'm pleased that Kwan seems to have transitioned into her post-skating life so well. However, the money she earned from touring with Champions on Ice and through endorsement deals helped in this smooth transition. Most elite skaters don't retire from the sport with that kind of nest egg. The Michelle Kwans, the Sarah Hughes, the Sasha Cohens are very lucky in that regard.

The Canton ice dancers you mentioned are also very lucky. Lucky because they have the financial means to attend college while also pursuing a very expensive sport. Many elite skaters probably have to choose either college or skating once they finish high school.
    Michelle didn't go to Harvard.
    And as other posters have pointed out, she got those touring jobs and endorsements because she was talented and hard working, and won multiple medals. Not because of luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Michelle didn't go to Harvard.
    And as other posters have pointed out, she got those touring jobs and endorsements because she was talented and hard working, and won multiple medals. Not because of luck.
    My mistake. However, Tufts is an expensive, private university. Also, did I ever write that Michelle wasn't talented and hard working? No I didn't. But there is an element of luck involved in any sport. Luck plays a role in everyone's success to a certain extent. I don't understand why some people have so much trouble acknowledging that fact.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I don't understand why some people have so much trouble acknowledging that fact.
    Because it's dismissive of all the hard work that went into her career.

Plus, the only luck involved was having the talent to do triples. Winning competitions like Nationals and Worlds is not like wining the lottery. It takes talent, which you are born with, but it takes a hell of a lot of hard work and making good decisions too.

Finally, it's not like these schools are out of reach for kids who aren't multi-millionaires. Plenty of kids from middle class backgrounds go to these schools and even kids from the wrong side of the tracks.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast