Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Thumbs up LA Times article: Michelle Kwan has found there is life after figure skating

I posted this article link in the Kween's Hall of Fame thread in the Trash Can earlier today but thought it deserved its own thread in GSD.

By Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times: Michelle Kwan has found there is life after figure skating
    Excerpts:
    "I think a lot of athletes, me included, have a hard time finding that sort of identity, wondering is being a skater my identity," she said. "That was the one thing that I was able to figure out through going back to school, that there's more out there that I'm interested in doing and pursuing.

"I'm 31 and there is a time when you have to walk out of the ice rink. To me it's the idea of wanting to learn and keep on learning."

It feels right, she said, that the [USFS Hall of Fame] ceremony will take place in San Jose, site of her first national title in 1996.

"I feel like it's really come full circle," she said. "It's so emotional. There's so much love I have for the sport. So many amazing experiences, so many incredible people I've met along the way. And now reflecting on it, it's something I miss, of course. But I've moved on."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-24-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I posted this article link in the Kween's Hall of Fame thread in the Trash Can earlier today but thought it deserved its own thread in GSD.

By Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times: Michelle Kwan has found there is life after figure skating
    Thanks, Sylvia, definitely deserving of its own thread.

No, she hasn't forgotten the sport. And it will never forget her.

vCash
    Such a great article. It made me all teary-eyed. Gosh, I miss Michelle!

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    I freakin love her This sport is so lucky to have such an inspiring role model

vCash
    I was never an uber fan of Kwan the skater - in part she was in the second half of her career when I started watching skating and in part because commentators' adoration of her got on my nerves and spurred my natural tendency to root for the underdog (i.e. I was thrilled when Butryskaya beat Kwan at Worlds).

But I also thought she was a very classy competitor and am so impressed that she has challenged herself to get an education and move on to a new career. So many skaters stay in the skating world after they retire. Kwan is an exception and an exceptional person. So, I am certainly a fan of Kwan the person.

vCash
    This comment of Michelle stays there in my mind.
    "I feel like it's really come full circle,"
    Congrats to Michelle for finding her next calling and that's so rare for anyone. Really seeing her passion for skating v. how her body was calling the shot, I've come to realize yet again that this sport is a demanding one.

Of course this sport, figure skating will never forget you Michelle!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'm so happy that she's found a "second stage" of life that she finds challenging and fulfilling. Her skating has given me a lot of joy, and I hope she has a life full of joy ahead of her in whatever she chooses to do.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    and if her body hadn't failed her, I wonder how many more years she would have continued skating? Didn't realize she was involved with two skating rinks.

vCash
    I wish Helene Eliot would get some naming straight: Kwan graduated from the University of Denver, not the mythic, "Denver University." Yes, it is called DU (just like the University of Colorado is called CU) but it is never written out as "Denver University." CU isn't Colorado University, either.

vCash
    I admire Michelle Kwan, I always have. However, she is more fortunate than most elite skaters in that she earned a nice living from the sport for several years. If she hadn't, she might not be able to afford the University of Denver and Harvard.

vCash
    Harvard?? I think she received her master's from Tuft University. Didn't Sarah Hughes attend Harvard?

Congratulations, Michelle! I saw you many times at the Champions on Ice shows and, as Garden Kitty said, your skating brought me much joy! I am happy for you as you continue your life and find great fulfillment in what you are doing.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I admire Michelle Kwan, I always have. However, she is more fortunate than most elite skaters in that she earned a nice living from the sport for several years. If she hadn't, she might not be able to afford the University of Denver and Harvard.
    There was a big reason why Michelle earned a "nice" living from skating.

Emily Hughes went to Harvard, Sarah went to Yale.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I wish Helene Eliot would get some naming straight: Kwan graduated from the University of Denver, not the mythic, "Denver University." Yes, it is called DU (just like the University of Colorado is called CU) but it is never written out as "Denver University." CU isn't Colorado University, either.
    I don't believe Michelle ever went to "Lori Nicholls" for choreography, either.

vCash
    Yay Michelle! She had a great career and now has found something else to do. Wouldn't mind a few shows now and then though......just saying....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    Yay Michelle! She had a great career and now has found something else to do. Wouldn't mind a few shows now and then though......just saying....
    I feel the same way, and it's totally selfish, but I really wish she would at least do one show a year! Totally happy for her and all of her achievements outside of skating, but boy do we miss her on the ice!!

vCash
    Beautiful article

I'd love to see Michelle in coaching one day, just like her sister.

vCash
    I see Michelle and her sister, Karen, as two very different people with different lives and career paths. I can imagine Michelle giving an occasional coaching clinic (like she did when she visited Argentina as a public envoy a few years ago) in the future, but that's about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Ann View Post
    Harvard?? I think she received her master's from Tuft University. Didn't Sarah Hughes attend Harvard?

Congratulations, Michelle! I saw you many times at the Champions on Ice shows and, as Garden Kitty said, your skating brought me much joy! I am happy for you as you continue your life and find great fulfillment in what you are doing.
    I agree with your congrats to Michelle!

It's Tufts University, not Tuft. I had hoped to just spot her someplace while she was in the Boston area, but it was not to be.

vCash
    I can't imagine Michelle wanting to be stuck in a rink from morning till evening coaching either, especially since she spent all that time in school getting her Master, and she will always be in the public eye in some high-profile event. But then again who would've thought that Paul would end up coaching many years after getting a Harvard M.B.A. and trying the corporate world.

vCash
    Ahh, thank you, snoopysnake. My brain told me it was Tufts, but I typed Tuft. I guess that was because her courses were tuft. haha

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast