Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I suppose hype could help generate interest in skating, a way of advertising. And skating could use some interest.
    Well, profiling a promising local skater in a local paper (as Hersh is doing here, in the broader Illinois locality) is one way to get local people to read about skating and to have a name to remember if they tune in to follow elite competitions.

It's when the praise is so focused on the potential for what the skater might achieve in the future, but hasn't achieved yet, that hype can backfire. There's no way that every skater who gets touted as a potential world champion or Olympic medalist will live up to those predictions. It that level of achievement is considered the measure of success, then most skaters will fall short and be disappointments.

It's probably counterproductive to get readers or viewers all excited about the next big thing when chances are someone else will be playing that role next year.

When it comes to US ladies, I'd much rather see a focus on the depth of the field. Sure, profile individuals, but put them in the context of each other. Get the public excited to tune in to Nationals and see lots of great skaters, lots of great skating, see who will come out ahead this time.

Which might take some of the pressure off any individual girl to live up to expectations of being "the one."

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    It's when the praise is so focused on the potential for what the skater might achieve in the future, but hasn't achieved yet, that hype can backfire. There's no way that every skater who gets touted as a potential world champion or Olympic medalist will live up to those predictions. It that level of achievement is considered the measure of success, then most skaters will fall short and be disappointments.
    I remember a press conference in 2006(?), when the premier of British Columbia was hyping the 2010 Olympics, and he introduced Kevin Reynolds as the skater who was going to win the gold medal in the men's event in Vancouver. Just sayin'.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Phil Hersh follows up with an article about Gold's Nationals win last night: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1003048.story

ETA link to IN's article: Gracie sets gold standard for U.S. junior ladies
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-26-2012 at 05:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Phil Hersh follows up with an article about Gold's Nationals win last night: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1003048.story
    I love Ashley Cain's quote about Gracie - "I hope she goes to junior worlds and takes down the Russians."

vCash
    Hersh has put out some pretty balanced articles as of late. He's on a roll!

and on Cain's quote!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I'm reposting this excerpt of a post in the US international assignments speculation thread in the Trash Can because it's relevant here:
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Ali3 View Post
    To the best of my recollection, I cannot recall this kind of hype about a Junior skater, especially one as "unknown" as Gold before this season. Why the hype?

Gold has outstanding jump technique. Her technical understanding of a triple toe as the back-half of a combination is textbook; she is very unusual in her correct timing of the toe-loop takeoff. She relies on timing, clean body positions, and correct use of edges/toe picks to vault herself into the air. She does not rely on quick rotation in the air. She may not have her adult body yet, but she clearly has something of an adult body - and it appears that her adult body, with its muscles and post-pubescent strength - is part of what helped her improve so drastically over the past three years. Technically, she's going to be fine unless she injures herself training a triple Axel. Artistically, she has the building blocks of flow, power, edging, and musical awareness. The rest can taught if she wants to learn - and her personality suggests she's a sponge, not a diva, and will accept both feedback and coaching. Her family is supportive in the best ways.

I think the hype about Gold is much stronger (and a bit out-of-control, honestly) on the internet than in the skating world. I sense a bit of "let's hold our breath" among those who have been on this roller coaster before. That's not to suggest that Gold isn't seen as a phenom; it's to suggest that the thought process is more like "we haven't seen someone like this in two decades and oh please skategods let's not screw this up no one say out loud what we are all thinking lets pretend shes just your typical junior ladies champion."

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpi7bxSvfTA

The size of her opening 3lutz is INSANE.

vCash
    Just an fyi! There was a lot of presure put on Gracie last year and she went though a huge growth spert. Her parents over the years tried hard to keep the hype to a min. I was at Mids last year when the growth spurt got to her.
    After a growth spurt these girls need to relearn how to jump! Knowing her parents they wanted to take it slow this year and let her rebuild. I was at Skate Detroit and she was a whole new girl. The US officals were falling all over themselves over her. But pretty much there was no hope of her getting a Jr GP. Until she got one.
    I think the coaches and the parents were on the right track not to push her and let her see what she could do. I also think her coach Alex was causious because of what happened to Megan Oster. Her parents didn't want her to go though what happened last year.
    This sport is known to chew these young girls apart and spit them out. Look at Nagsu, Zhang, Flatt ect. Hopefully this is a new route these girls can take.
    softball

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, her jumps are out of this world amazing but what else has she got? The good news is that she seems to be well past the puberty monster so she should keep her 3/3.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The way people talk about Gold cracks me up. Does she have work to do? Of course, who doesn't? People make it sound like she is the worst SKATER to ever step on the ice. Wow, she can jump but everything else SUCKS. Get real, she isn't even close to that point. She is 16 and everything else will come and what she does have isn't half as bad as people like to believe. I am really curious where this backlash comes from, are people intimidated by her? Maybe they perceive her as a threat to their favs?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    Yes, her jumps are out of this world amazing but what else has she got? The good news is that she seems to be well past the puberty monster so she should keep her 3/3.
    Well... She's a lovely girl, for one thing, and SWP earns points. Also... women have certainly won worlds (for example Ando) with little more than great jumps.

vCash
    This girl is unbelievably good. I think the US has found its next Ladies skating star.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    Well... She's a lovely girl, for one thing, and SWP earns points. Also... women have certainly won worlds (for example Ando) with little more than great jumps.
    That's true. But for me that was one of the low points in skating. I hope that Gracie will develop her other skills as she enters the senior circuit. She is already better than Ando IMO.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Yes, her jumps are out of this world amazing but what else has she got?

She's got a solid foundation of skating skills that she can build upon. At the jr level, that's exactly what you hope a skater has.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post

She's got a solid foundation of skating skills that she can build upon. At the jr level, that's exactly what you hope a skater has.
    I am talking about polish, carriage and artistry but am hopeful that will develop.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

ETA link to IN's article: Gracie sets gold standard for U.S. junior ladies
    Can't believe he says in the end of the article that politics are going to prevent Gracie from beating the Russians.

vCash
    Yes, her jumps are out of this world amazing but what else has she got?
    Pretty much everything that is needed for a skater her age to become a consistent world medal contender in the near future. She has a rock solid foundation on just about everything. Her basic carriage is fine. Her presentation is clean. Artistry and interpretation are built upon these foundations and will come later.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Artistry and interpretation are built upon these foundations and will come later.
    "Will"? The history of skating is full of skaters with excellent technique whose artistry and interpretation never developed "later".

Not saying that it is impossible for Gracie, but it's a very big mistake to assume that just because someone has good technique they are guaranteed to develop artistry and interpretation.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    ^^^
    well Phil Hersh isn't known to be the most objective person in articles
    but I dont see Gracie Gold winning though but I think Gracie will be at the podium , Julia Lipnitskaya if she performs ,like she did at Nationals and JGP has this , the judges and the crowd have been happy to give her with ovations and reward her and Julia's PCS will even skyrocket

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    The way people talk about Gold cracks me up. Does she have work to do? Of course, who doesn't? People make it sound like she is the worst SKATER to ever step on the ice. Wow, she can jump but everything else SUCKS. Get real, she isn't even close to that point. She is 16 and everything else will come and what she does have isn't half as bad as people like to believe. I am really curious where this backlash comes from, are people intimidated by her? Maybe they perceive her as a threat to their favs?
    so true,
    she is by far better than say Rachael or Ashley
    Gracie is the future of US seniors, so they better watch out !
    her lutz jump is huge !

vCash
    Strong work ethic, attack, speed, and a strong desire to win. Not since Michelle Kwan have I seen a top U.S. skater who seems to enjoy a) attention b) the pressure of competition. No deer in headlights expression from her.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast