Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Did I write "media"? Sylvia, get your glasses on. Baga was hyped right here.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Your definition of "hype" differs from mine then. Baga never had 3 separate threads started by fans like Gold has had here in the past month.

Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    I agree with your point, that it is better to get use to the attention and pressure as soon as possible. I actually don't think the attention and hype for Gracie has been too over the top in the news media (this excludes message board posts).
    I thought Hersh's article -- the first mainstream article about her AFAIK -- didn't overhype Gold. In this Internet age especially, I agree that skaters who want to succeed at the highest levels internationally have to learn to deal with the attention and pressure from all sides.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-22-2011 at 03:05 PM.

vCash
    Like someone said earlier, a lot of the attention is being brought down by Gracie and her team (ie. posting the video online). I don't think it's bad, but I just hope she's ready for the attention and what that attention means. Some times, especially when you're starting out, it's a bit better to fly under the radar...at least until after the SP! Now, coming into nationals, people will be expecting her to come in kicking butt...if she doesn't...well...

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I think the article and the hype are premature, but I think she's promising and I like watching her skate. And when I watch the beginning of her free skate this year, I think she's listening to/skating to the music beautifully. It just seems to get lost a little bit along the way. But she uses her arms well and has nice speed and posture, in addition to solid jumps and spins.

To be fair about the youtube videos, Gracie posts those herself. She's been doing it for a few years already, before any of this hype happened. I think she's got one on there of her landing her first triple flip. Seems like she just likes to post them; there's no problem with that, I've seen other skaters do it too.
    I totally agree, I know lots of young skaters who do the exact same thing - so I think to say her 'team' is putting out the info is a bit of stretch.. how satisfying to fall on a jump a hundred times and then finally land it. I find her very enjoyable to watch and unlike some other hyped junior skaters her technique seems much better. I wish we had someone like that here on the radar.. I also think people should really appreciate what a skater can do at the present time and not get so obsessed on the future. I absolutely loved watching Caroline and Mira as Junior skaters and nothing will take away from that, I totally appreciate the joy they gave me at the time and now understand they are different skaters as seniors with different bodies.
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I also think people should really appreciate what a skater can do at the present time and not get so obsessed on the future. I absolutely loved watching Caroline and Mira as Junior skaters and nothing will take away from that, I totally appreciate the joy they gave me at the time and now understand they are different skaters as seniors with different bodies.
    That's a very good perspective to have and I agree. Say what you will about Caroline's weird technique back then, she was still a little dynamo during her junior years.

vCash
    Lets just see how Gracie skates at Nationals before annointing her as the next big thing in US Ladies skating. I do like that she seems to have a good head on her shoulders and doesn't seem to mind the attention. With all the headcases right now in the Senior ranks it would be nice to see an american girl who isn't going to back down from the competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    That's a very good perspective to have and I agree. Say what you will about Caroline's weird technique back then, she was still a little dynamo during her junior years.
    "Dynamo" conjure an image of someone's who dynamic, fast and exciting. I wouldn't characterize Zhang's skating during her junior days as dynamic. People went gaga over her because of her extensions and flexibilities and she seemed to feel the music that the other juniors weren't able to, but her skating was slow as molasses back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    My thoughts:

1. If I were Team Gracie, I'd sort of want to throw some hype her way. There's all this talk of Russian wonderbabies and all that, and if she's going to compete with them, she needs to have the same name recognition they do. Outside of the skating world, it makes sense that Team Gracie would want to try to create the next big star in FS, especially since America stopped paying attention to skating at some point. Could she be trying to bring the focus back?

2. Yes, I'm reticent, but her skating is so great to watch! Her jumping is just something extraordinary and I happen to like watching her. Again, unlike Caroline Zhang, Gracie has already gone through puberty and came out on the other end a jumping superstar.

3. Wild guess: she can probably handle the pressure better than we think. Again, she's older than megahyped babies and she is, in terms of the majority of the world, just some chick from Chicago. I can see my sister, who is the same age as Gracie, handling the pressure with maturity and-for lack of a better word-grace. Of course, this varies by person, but still. I agree that she wants this publicity, too.

Either way, if she wants to be an Olympic Champion, time to get used to the hype now.
    The difference though between Gracie and the baby Russians: Adelina, Tukt and Julia, is all three have won a lot of competitions. Gracie's won one Junior JGP and wasn't all that consistent last year. (which is why she didn't get a 2nd JGP). I'm not saying she wont' be the next big thing, but one would think they'd hold off just a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    "Dynamo" conjure an image of someone's who dynamic, fast and exciting. I wouldn't characterize Zhang's skating during her junior days as dynamic. People went gaga over her because of her extensions and flexibilities and she seemed to feel the music that the other juniors weren't able to, but her skating was slow as molasses back then.
    Well personally, I found her skating to be very exciting and lovely. Dynamo is defined as an energetic person...I felt Caroline had an energy and spark about her when she was a junior that drew people's attention. Looking past her weird technique, she commanded the ice when she skated, in addition to being pretty consistent with her jumps, having amazing spins and flexibility, and lovely presentation.

For someone so tiny, I thought her speed was fine...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Well personally, I found her skating to be very exciting and lovely. Dynamo is defined as an energetic person...I felt Caroline had an energy and spark about her when she was a junior that drew people's attention. Looking past her weird technique, she commanded the ice when she skated, in addition to being pretty consistent with her jumps, having amazing spins and flexibility, and lovely presentation.

For someone so tiny, I thought her speed was fine...
    I agree she seemed to have more focus and to connect with the music more when she was young. With her technique, it was definitely questionable in 2007 on the junior circuit, but it went from bad to horrendous over the next three seasons. The kicks and twists got bigger and all the jumps got slower in the approach. Her flexibility is still great, but not as eye-popping as it once was.

She is making improvements and I don't know that she will ever threaten for a world team again but I hope she sticks it out for another few years and gives us some memorable performances. Her SP this season, for me, has recaptured some of the joy she used to have.

vCash
    well then I guess the other Junior level skaters might as well not even show up at Nationals since Gracie has already been proclaimed the winner and the one the judges want to send to Jr. Worlds.......

aren't there any other Jr. skaters who have all of their triples that might give her a run for the money???

& if she would happen to have a bad skate(s), will the judges still let her win??/send her to Jr. Worlds??

& maybe the Seniors should stay home too since Gracie is being sent to Sochi??
    Last edited by demetriosj; 12-22-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    aren't there any other Jr. skaters who have all of their triples that might give her a run for the money???
    Here are the total scores of the Junior ladies that qualified for Nationals with 120+, along with their JGP scores this fall and jump difficulty so far this season:
    174.90 Gracie Gold, Midwestern Sectionals, 1st
    172.69 Gracie Gold, JGP Estonia, 1st
    151.92 Barbie Long, M2 (she attempts 5 different triples in her FS like Gold does)
    150.93 Mariah Bell, M3 (4 different triples in FS - 3Lz, 3F, 3S, 3T)
    148.43 Hannah Miller, M4 (4 different triples in FS - 3Lz, 3F, 3S, 3T)
    146.74 Hannah Miller, JGP Italy, 3rd
    139.50 Katarina Kulgeyko, JGP Austria, 5th
    133.07 Katarina Kulgeyko, Pacific Coasts, 1st (4-5 different triples in FS but inconsistent)
    132.95 Ashley Cain, JGP Latvia, 6th (4-5 different triples in FS but inconsistent & with occasional <)
    128.20 Gwendolyn Prescott, P2 (attempts 3 different triples through Lo in FS)
    125.83 Allison Timlen, Easterns, 1st (3Lz, 3Lo, 3T but inconsistent & with occasional <)
    125.59 Jessica Hu, E2 (3Lz, 3Lo, 3S in FS)
    123.55 Polina Edmunds, P3 (attempts 5 different triples in FS but inconsistent & with occasional <)
    122.09 Jenelle Herman, E3 (3T and 3S in FS)

Gold may be the heavy favorite to win the 2012 Junior title, but ice is slippery and nothing is ever for certain.

ETA this trivia - the last 2 U.S. Junior ladies' champions won their respective titles by 20 points: Courtney Hicks in 2011 (173.22) and Agnes Zawadzki in 2010 (171.87).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-23-2011 at 12:11 AM.

vCash
    Don't know if these are posted anywhere else.

Gracie Gold-Skate Detroit Junior Long 2011

Gracie Gold-Skate Detroit Junior Short 2011

I think she needs better programs, the music was kind of bland. Also some ballet training to become more graceful, she seemed very coltish to me, but other than that I really liked her. Not quite ready for prime time but definitely on the cusp.
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
    Don't know if these are posted anywhere else.
    Thanks, yes those videos were posted and discussed here months ago -- 2011 Skate Detroit took place at the end of July. Wow, was it really 5 months ago that some of us were lamenting that she deserved a JGP assignment but was most likely not going to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Gracie's won one Junior JGP and wasn't all that consistent last year. (which is why she didn't get a 2nd JGP).
    Gold didn't qualify as a Junior for 2011 Nationals so it was actually quite amazing that she was assigned to even one JGP this season! She made a strong case for herself at Skate Milwaukee (in early July), Skate Detroit, and Glacier Falls (in early August).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-23-2011 at 12:48 AM.

vCash
    makes note to self: attend Skate Milwaukee next year...YOU NEVER KNOW!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    ETA this trivia - the last 2 U.S. Junior ladies' champions won their respective titles by 20 points: Courtney Hicks in 2011 (173.22) and Agnes Zawadzki in 2010 (171.87).[/QUOTE]

is Agnes Zawadzki injured this season?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    is Agnes Zawadzki injured this season?
    Not that I know of, but Courtney Hicks is out for the season due to her leg injury/surgery.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    makes note to self: attend Skate Milwaukee next year...YOU NEVER KNOW!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-23-2011 at 02:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks, yes those videos were posted and discussed here months ago -- 2011 Skate Detroit took place at the end of July. Wow, was it really 5 months ago that some of us were lamenting that she deserved a JGP assignment but was most likely not going to get one?

Gold didn't qualify as a Junior for 2011 Nationals so it was actually quite amazing that she was assigned to even one JGP this season! She made a strong case for herself at Skate Milwaukee (in early July), Skate Detroit, and Glacier Falls (in early August).
    Well absolutely, but I remember similar with Agnes, and look where Agnes is right now. Gracie seems to be a great talent, but she really hasn'[t proved her consistency yet, and I think hyping her this much when the consitency issue is such a question is a bit much. I do hope that she becomes what people are hoping for though.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I suppose hype could help generate interest in skating, a way of advertising. And skating could use some interest.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Honestly, no offense to Agnes or Christina Gao, but while their jumps were good as juniors, they are not in the same ballpark as Gracie's. It's Gracie's extraordinary jumps, speed, and power that have many people excited for her future.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast