Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    After all the years he has been around skating, Scott should know that a lot of skaters who "tend to skate through the music" never get past that problem, even after a lot of "time".
    But some do. Michelle Kwan did, if memory serves.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Yippee! Post number 21 and Kwan has entered the building!

JMHO, but it was way more than just "time" for Kwan. I suspect a fair amount of hard work and training from people who knew what they were doing.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Yeah, but Michelle was a rough cut diamond; Salome was the polish that really made her natural abilities shine...there was a grace about Michelle's movements before her transformation that hinted at what was to come with a little bit of work and refinement. Same with Mao Asada. In 2005 when I saw her bouncing around to Carmen, I could tell by the way she moved that with some training and refinement, she'd be a very elegant and graceful skater. Yay me! I was right!

Some skaters do learn how to take the time and listen to the music and really move with it...others don't. We'll have to see what Gracie can do...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    When I first saw Gracie Gold compete -- she was 11 going on 12 years old -- I thought she skated and listened to her music very well. This was before she had a double Axel.

vCash
    David Baden, VP of Olympic Sports from IMG just congratulated her on her progress. I wonder if he is client shopping or already represents her?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Yippee! Post number 21 and Kwan has entered the building!
    What was I thinking??
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    The quotes from Alissa's former coach Berlin come off as thinly veiled insults toward her former student, IMO, whether or not you agree with her. Bad sportsmanship.
    Eg,
    That's how I took it and I agree.

Shall we make a list of "She's Got Next" skaters from the mid 90's on?

And I did see Baden's tweet..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I agree I don't like all the pressure and hyper on Gracie right now, al la Caroline Zhang a few years ago. However, Gold has already gone through a big growth spurt and her jumps are still+ freaking MASSIVE. When Caroline was being hyped as the next be all and end all of skating, she hadn't gone through puberty yet and had a lot of bad technique issues as well that you really could see probably wouldn't hold up as she got older.
    I've never understodd the hype on Caroline Zhang. She had WOW spins, but her jumping technique has always been scary, and it's not something good that you can change easily, while you can improve style with time.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Having big jumps is great but there are people with big jumps and solid technique who still can't skate a clean program in pressure situations. There has to be a combination of technique and consistency, plus focus and mental toughness, not to mention other elements and components that have to come together at once.
    First name to my mind : Julia Sebestyen !

Banned Member
    vCash
    I don't really see them as insults, because she's just telling the truth. However, maybe it would have been nicer as Czisny's ex-coach to be more careful in her wording. There are also other young skaters in the US who could break out between now and Sochi. It's not just a diss to Czisny but a couple of other real talents.

I'd love for Gracie to win gold in Sochi. Can you imagine if she goes in as the top American? Her name is perfection for sponsorships.

vCash
    I also noted that "What the Buck?" Youtube host Michael Buckley (buckhollywood on twitter) has also corresponded with Gracie on twitter...interesting..

vCash
    Her jumps make rinks seem too small. Her SP has an odd music arrangement. Not sure what anyone could do with that! There has been potential like Gold like Zhang but she had problems with technique. She's getting a later start on seniors than previous girls who have been hyped which may be good.

Vacant
    vCash
    I like Gracie a lot and she has soooo much potential but the hype does scare me a little. On the other hand, if she wants to be in Sochi she needs to get used to the pressure as soon as possible so she can handle it when it really matters. Some great skaters have survived the hype and gone on to outstanding senior careers. Better to struggle to deal with it now than suddenly appear as a gold medal prospect in late 2012/13 when the pressure will be even greater and implode on the biggest stage. Either way it's going to be a very interesting couple of years for Gracie.

Banned Member
    vCash
    From the get go I would think ANYONE would have recognized that Zhang was possibly headed straight to puberty oblivion. When she burst onto the scene she was a tiny girl with tiny jumps with bad technique. She barely had those jumps down to a millimeter, there was just no extra room for growth. Gold at least has a somewhat formed body and she has hang time galore on her jumps just in case she does fill out more. I also think that once in seniors she'll be able to skate better programs. In junior, there is such little time to get things done that all the skaters seem to have time for is an arm flourish every five seconds and then on to the next element.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    From the get go I would think ANYONE would have recognized that Zhang was possibly headed straight to puberty oblivion. When she burst onto the scene she was a tiny girl with tiny jumps with bad technique.
    If Zhang's body had stayed relatively the same after puberty like Kristi's then she probably could've eeked out a few more successful years under IJS with bad techniques. The stereotype was that Asian skaters were successfull, because they didn't grow hips, among other things .

vCash
    Julie Berlin, who coached Alissa Czisny to a U.S. title: "Gracie is our shot for Sochi. She is awesome."
    Bad form, Julie, bad form. We get it, you're bitter. Do you have to be so obvious? I hope if Alissa does see this, that it just reaffirms her sense of having done the right thing in leaving you.

On Gold: The EYEBROWS.....!!!

vCash
    I agree. Even with the bad technique, for a good year and a half she was landing clean 7-triple programs...

She's slowly fighting her way back though. I'd be nice to see her finish well at nationals this year. Given how Gao, Zawadski and Flatt have been skating, I wouldn't be surprised to see Caroline place 5th or 6th...possibly 4th if that 3lp-3lp materializes...

vCash
    How many times has Gracie competed? I'm not sure how competitions work besides Grand Prix Series, Nationals and worlds. I only see she won her one and only JGP event. Is that what all the hype is about? Her jumps are really good though.
    Smoke a ciggy and have some fun!!!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    How many times has Gracie competed?
    AFAIK, 7 times so far this season (1 JGP, 5 club competitions from May-September, and Midwestern Sectionals to qualify for Nationals), winning all 7.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly On The Wall View Post
    On Gold: The EYEBROWS.....!!!
    Seriously? Her *eyebrows* are worthy of criticism?? How petty.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Miki Ando has skated through the music for her entire career, but it didn't stop her from winning two World Championships.
    oh my, sad but very valid point

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast