Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 193
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    651
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I think the concept is in the first show, they skate with their original partners (with the exception of Lobacheva/Goncharev and Khoklova/Novikov, since the full teams of these pairings are not in the show), then weekly or with some frequency rotate partners. (i.e., Staviski may eventually end up with Khoklova, Marinin with Navka, etc)
    Thanks!

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,224
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I think the concept is in the first show, they skate with their original partners (with the exception of Lobacheva/Goncharev and Khoklova/Novikov, since the full teams of these pairings are not in the show), then weekly or with some frequency rotate partners. (i.e., Staviski may eventually end up with Khoklova, Marinin with Navka, etc)
    I don't think that they will rotate partners all the time. Most likely, they will swap partners just once, and that's how they're going to stay until the end. Otherwise, there's no use giving them marks, as it would mean that judges would be judging a different pair each time (or even each dance, if they swap partners weekly), and a winning pair wouldn't be possible. I think the idea in such a show is for skaters of the newly formed pair to get used to each other gradually and to show some kind of growth accordingly (artistically and even technically as they get more comfortable with each other). Besides, it's very likely that the first shooting was just an opening show, and pairs didn't get any marks for those performances - that's how it's always been in Averbukh's shows (except 'Bolero', which was made as short as possible for several reasons). Maybe I am wrong, but that's my guess.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,668
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    I don't think that they will rotate partners all the time. Most likely, they will swap partners just once, and that's how they're going to stay until the end. Otherwise, there's no use giving them marks, as it would mean that judges would be judging a different pair each time (or even each dance, if they swap partners weekly), and a winning pair wouldn't be possible. I think the idea in such a show is for skaters of the newly formed pair to get used to each other gradually and to show some kind of growth accordingly (artistically and even technically as they get more comfortable with each other). Besides, it's very likely that the first shooting was just an opening show, and pairs didn't get any marks for those performances - that's how it's always been in Averbukh's shows (except 'Bolero', which was made as short as possible for several reasons). Maybe I am wrong, but that's my guess.
    The teams did get scores in the first show and they,ve changed partners more than once during the training session but you are right about everything else and until there is an official announcement about the rules of the show nothing is certain.
    Last edited by vivika1982; 12-26-2011 at 06:47 PM.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,224
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vivika1982 View Post
    The teams did get scores in the first show and they,ve changed partners more than once during the training session but you are right about everything else and until there is an official announcement about the rules of the show nothing is certain.
    Thank you for the information/correction. As for changing partners during the trainings before the show - it's nothing unusual in itself. Before all the previous projects some skaters and stars (or ballerinas) also changed patners during the trainings, until they found the ones whom they were most comfortable with. Probably this time it was done in a more organized way in order to form the best possible pairings, and that doesn't mean that they will do the same during the show. I can't say that I understand the judging system if the skaters first received marks with their original partners and later will receive them with other partners, but we'll just have to wait and see.

  5. #25
    Loving on babies!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin heaven!
    Posts
    11,654
    vCash
    1570
    Rep Power
    15573
    How much would they really have changed partners, by this point? You have 10 pairs, and all but two of them are partnerships that have been together 10, 15 years. I doubt that there was much changing of partnerships in the pre-show setup at this point.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,668
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    How much would they really have changed partners, by this point?

    Constantly as far as i understood. As for the first show most of the numbers were already skated in "Disco City" and "City Lights" or earlier with little additions and editing.
    Few examples:
    Drobiazko/Vanagas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBTFCK8oVUQ
    Leonova/Khvalko
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuosvN2eBkU
    Denkova/Staviski
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ_j_QlSIRw
    Totmyanina/Marinin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDULoPMEDos

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    40
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I can't say that I understand the judging system if the skaters first received marks with their original partners and later will receive them with other partners - lauravvv



    Hmmmm. Well, if for example, Drobiazko and Vanagas scored 12.00 this could be halved and they could be given 6.00 points each. If, for example Leonova and Khvalko scored 11.90 this could be halved and they could be given 5.95 points each. That way the skaters could change partners every week and each skater could build up their own personal score as the weeks went by. A total guess on my part but it's fun to conjecture about these things. Does anyone have any other theory?

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,224
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sunhillow View Post
    Hmmmm. Well, if for example, Drobiazko and Vanagas scored 12.00 this could be halved and they could be given 6.00 points each. If, for example Leonova and Khvalko scored 11.90 this could be halved and they could be given 5.95 points each. That way the skaters could change partners every week and each skater could build up their own personal score as the weeks went by. A total guess on my part but it's fun to conjecture about these things.
    Actually, I thought about it too, but it seemed quite unlikely to me. But if there are at least two of us who got this idea, then probably it's not so unlikely at all .

    I also thought a bit more about the original pairs getting marks for their old programs, and I have to say that I find it a bit strange. Acknowledged and experienced professionals suddenly being judged for their technique in a TV show? Programs that have already been well received by thousands of viewers suddenly judged for artistry? It's not quite the same as newly formed and, therefore, probably imperfect pairs and especially made programs being judged for technique and artistry - which is what should happen in such a TV show, imho. No, actually I can even imagine it - Navka gets praised for her "amazing speed", even though she and Kostomarov (as a pair) haven't done any difficult lifts in their programs for years (it must be about Navka, since Kostomarov has been doing plenty of difficult lifts with his unprofessional show partners), and it suddenly turns out that Denkova and Staviski, two times world champions, are good for nothing (Navka being the absolute favourite and Staviski one of the constant whipping-boys) , and so on. I really hope not - after all, there were Tchaikovskaya and Bestemyanova and Bobrin in the jury besides the usual Tarasova and Sikharulidze.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,668
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There are some answers from Iya Averbukh to your guessing about the scoring and etc. in Ice Symphony's Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/icesympho...92610384119302

    I translated only the part that clears some of the rules :

    20 participants of the show ''Ice Age. Cup of the professionals " will form 10 pairs. However, the pairings will change , and each participant will look forward to collect as many points for his own benefit . Performances are evaluated by judges on a 6-point scale, separately for technique and artistry. The overall total score obtained for a pair’s presentation, becomes an asset of each member of the pair. In this way, after all performances the best male and female partners will be determined and would become the winners of the show. Participants will compete also for audience’s vote. As a result of the audience voting,the best female and male partners will be announced and they will receive the Audience Award.
    Last edited by vivika1982; 12-29-2011 at 04:47 PM.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,224
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vivika1982 View Post
    There are some answers from Iya Averbukh to your guessing about the scoring and etc. in Ice Symphony's Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/icesympho...92610384119302

    I translated only the part that clears some of the rules :
    Thank you for the link and for the translation (in the name of those who don't understand Russian - fortunately, I am not one of them ). So, sunhillow was right about the scoring system, except, marks won't be divided in halves between two partners, but will be shared. I must say that I would have liked constant pairs better - I am used to falling in love/symphatizing with particular pairs and feeling for them. But this will be something new and interesting, and probably better than I am imagining right now.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 12-30-2011 at 12:38 AM.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    40
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, I don't speak Russian and I don't do Facebook but obviously I am on the same wavelength as Averbukh. Hurrah! I like this format a lot, it sounds like it will be great fun.

    Regarding Laura's comments on the jury - I am pleased that the judges are all from the skating world and I hope that means they will be strong and give their honest opinions and scores, not be intimidated to fall into line with whatever Tarasova wants. If that were to happen then the ladies part of the competition would just be a battle for second place behind T.N. (who I think is a fantastic skater btw and would be difficult to beat even without jury favouritism).

    Paul

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,668
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sunhillow View Post
    Regarding Laura's comments on the jury - I am pleased that the judges are all from the skating world and I hope that means they will be strong and give their honest opinions and scores, not be intimidated to fall into line with whatever Tarasova wants. If that were to happen then the ladies part of the competition would just be a battle for second place behind T.N. (who I think is a fantastic skater btw and would be difficult to beat even without jury favouritism).

    Paul
    Well, according to TAT nobody is like T.N. and she is "a national treasure" so it would be difficult to beat her . I gave up on the scores,judging and etc. in those kind of shows.Not that some scores are unreasonable but those shows are based on public rating and i strongly doubt that they would let World or Euro Champions to win over Olympic Champions and is so predictable . However, one thing is sure; Averbukh's Ice Shows woke up the interest in FS in some regions.

  13. #33
    Loving on babies!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin heaven!
    Posts
    11,654
    vCash
    1570
    Rep Power
    15573
    Well, of those skating, Totmianina and Marinin are Olympic (and World/Euro) champions as well (Yeah, I know, Totmianina isn't the "national treasure" that Navka supposedly is....)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,668
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hope dies last .Maybe this year will be different and more thrilling with the new kids on the ice and the new "RSOI meets DOI" group of judges.
    Last edited by vivika1982; 12-30-2011 at 10:04 PM.

  15. #35
    Loving on babies!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin heaven!
    Posts
    11,654
    vCash
    1570
    Rep Power
    15573
    will be hoping for fair judging as opposed to reputation judging (just like I do with ISU events!)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,224
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Well, of those skating, Totmianina and Marinin are Olympic (and World/Euro) champions as well (Yeah, I know, Totmianina isn't the "national treasure" that Navka supposedly is....)
    Unfortunately, Totmianina doesn't have that "diva" power which Navka has - I admit that. The same could be said about Berezhnaya. To win in those shows, a skater has to have two qualities - to be an Olympic champion, and to be a good performer/have enough charisma to draw the audiences. Those who fit with those criteria are Yagudin, Navka and also Kostomarov. Marinin has proved himself as a good performer in the last two seasons, so now he is favoured more than before. Unfortunately, "diva" power and charisma without big titles can only get a skater so far - Drobiazko, Tchernishev and Staviski (who, while two times world champion, competed for Bulgaria and has other sins a s well) can get good places, but, most likely, will never win. I think the same applies to Khokhlova.

    But it's not just Tarasova who decides all of that - of course, Yagudin and Navka are really her favourites, but it's also what the 1st Channel wants. So, I am not so sure if Tchaikovskaya, Bestemyanova and Bobrin being in the jury will help that much. After all, they are very probably influenced by the same things -1st Channel's policy and big titles + charisma.

  17. #37
    Loving on babies!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin heaven!
    Posts
    11,654
    vCash
    1570
    Rep Power
    15573
    Just looking forward to watching these skaters play! (especially once the partner switching starts up; it should be fun!)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

  18. #38
    Main Offender
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,089
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3107
    Looking forward to see how TAT and Tchaikovskaya are going to get along
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

    Bruce Lee

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,668
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Looking forward to see how TAT and Tchaikovskaya are going to get along
    Lets hope nothing like or

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the info. Are there any vids yet of the rest of the skating couples?
    There used to be a message board (in Russian) where fans would comment on the show. I think it was from the TV station's site. If it's available again & anyone has the link, I'd appreciate it. Thx and happy new year everyone!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •