Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    is Peter Jackson the next George Lucas?
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Here's a fun gallery of the dwarves without all their makeup on!

http://www.toofab.com/2012/12/14/the...-their-makeup/

vCash
    Well hello there, Dean O'Gorman!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Here's a fun gallery of the dwarves without all their makeup on!

http://www.toofab.com/2012/12/14/the...-their-makeup/
    It's the Doctor!

vCash
    I'm still a bit disappointed that David Tennant wasn't cast as Thranduril, as per the rumours. Though it's probably just as well; I'm not sure if I'd be able to see him as an elf without giggling every second he was on screen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I'm still a bit disappointed that David Tennant wasn't cast as Thranduril, as per the rumours. Though it's probably just as well; I'm not sure if I'd be able to see him as an elf without giggling every second he was on screen!
    But it's Lee Pace, he can bring the dead back. lol (Pushing Daisies, TV show)

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Sofia, you make an awesome looking Hobbit Lass!! Great picture of you in front of the poster. So great in fact, I did a double take as I thought you were in front of a set piece.

Sigh...There I was, over in Sudbury from Thursday till yesterday and there was no way on earth I was making it to the Theatre and I knew it was pointless asking too. Drives me nuts I couldn't figure out a way to get out to see it, but it just wasn't doable. I was lucky to find a ride to the Celebration On Ice show as it was, so...Yeah.

Can I just add something though? I think people are forgetting something here. These weren't originally PJ's movies. Sure he was producing, but he wasn't the original director or screenwriter either IIRC. That was the guy who did Pan's Labryinth, but then had to back out halfway through the prepping process, but IIRC too PJ has claimed they kept the majority of what he'd done. So...How much of the griping I've been hearing is due to PJ or due to someone else?

Just something I've been wondering about...Glad to read reviews from real Tolkien fans though, as to me, those are the ones that really matter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    But it's Lee Pace, he can bring the dead back. lol (Pushing Daisies, TV show)
    I did not realize Lee Pace was in The Hobbit! He's been a favorite of mine since Wonderfalls (points if anyone remembers this blip of a show). Then I looked up a picture of him as Thranduil and ... oh my brows

vCash
    He pulls a spectacular "stoned elf" look in the film. You know the one the elves have when they're supposed to look all aloof and ethereal, but end up just looking, well, stoned. Cate Blanchett is the only one who does that look well, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Sofia, you make an awesome looking Hobbit Lass!! Great picture of you in front of the poster. So great in fact, I did a double take as I thought you were in front of a set piece.
    Thanks! I'm thinking of going dwarf next year, if I can find the time and money to make something that looks like armour.

vCash
    Well, The Hobbit has FINALLY come out in Australia, and today I FINALLY got to see it.

I LOVE IT!

It was just wonderful! Everything was so great! Okay, okay, so there were some bits that weren't in the book, pah. But some of the details just blew me away. Stuff like when Gandalf was explaining about wizards. The only time the two blue wizards were mentioned was deep in the details of the appendices and The Silmarillion. It just confirms and shows that Peter Jackson really is just a Tolkien nerd like the rest of us!

And I LOVED this version of Elrond. This is more how Elrond was supposed to be, kicking butt and being generally awesome. The only thing about him I didn't like was

Spoiler

Anyway, before I go rambling about every single detail, I loved it.

Can we sign Peter Jackson on to do The Silmarillion?

EDIT: HOW DOES ONE DO SPOILER TAGS?
    Last edited by misskarne; 12-27-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: nevermind. worked it out.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    We went and saw this tonight. I quite liked it but it took a while to get going. We saw it in the new 48fps and it gave too much of a soap opera effect. I really REALLY hope this is not the new direction that films will be taking. It makes me feel like I am on set rather than immersed in the film. I understand wanting everything to look as real as possible but there can be too much of a good thing. Movies are movies, leave the ultra real stuff for the stage. I also felt many scenes looked to be sped up and I am not sure if that was something to do with the 48fps or just a production choice.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I enjoyed the film a lot - no, it was not The Lord of the Rings, but nor was I expecting the Lord of the Rings.

My only complaint is the 3D. I think it was really unnecessary and didn't like titles and things in the corner of the frame jumping out at me. The mind interprets 2D in 3D, anyway, which I find more natural than the actual 3D effect.

The trilogy was all in 2D and I didn't think The Hobbit in 3D was an improvement. Certainly, there was much visual spectacle, but that was because of the New Zealand setting and Jackson's genius at integrated CGI and real footage.

The extra $3 or $4 for 3D was a waste of money IMO.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 12-29-2012 at 08:26 AM.

vCash
    I wear glasses - I can't go to the 3D screenings anyway.

I didn't notice any issues with the fast frame speeds or anything. If anything, I thought it only enhanced the experience. But mind you, I was too busy being for most of the film. The dialogue lifted straight from the book just about killed me.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I wear glasses - I can't go to the 3D screenings anyway.

I didn't notice any issues with the fast frame speeds or anything. If anything, I thought it only enhanced the experience. But mind you, I was too busy being for most of the film. The dialogue lifted straight from the book just about killed me.
    I wear glasses too, and so does almost everybody I know. I have no problem putting the 3D glasses on top of my regular ones.

I'm not crazy about 3D in any movie, but it wasn't particularly obtrusive in this one.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Yeah, the 3D glasses should fit right on top of your regular glasses unless you wear monster Sally Jesse Raphael sized spectacles or something.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I did not realize Lee Pace was in The Hobbit! He's been a favorite of mine since Wonderfalls (points if anyone remembers this blip of a show). Then I looked up a picture of him as Thranduil and ... oh my brows
    My favourite TV series ever! EVER! I was so sad it ended in 1 season

I wonder why they didn't dye the eyebrows... It would have been less distracting I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Yeah, the 3D glasses should fit right on top of your regular glasses unless you wear monster Sally Jesse Raphael sized spectacles or something.
    They do, but it gives me a headache. I'd rather enjoy the movie in 2D. 3D has never really caught my imagination.

Now, holographic movies...that WOULD interest me.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Sofia, you were asking about how to make faux armour? I was browsing YouTube looking to see if there were any videos up on how to make a French Hood (Tudor era hat made fashionable by Queen Anne Boleyn), and one of the hits my search turned up was this...

YouTube ~ How to make your own Medieval Sword for Costume Accessory or Play

Now of course, she makes it look really easy to make, but regardless of that it's at least a fairly cheap thing to try and make. Anyway...Thought that you and some of the others in here might be interested in looking at that.

Heard during the Supper Hour News that The Hobbit is still Number One at the Box Office here in Canada. Now I'm assuming that's just the Cdn Box Office, but it could be the combined Cdn and US figures too.

Surprised considering Les Mis and the new Tarantino films are now out, but it's a pleasant surprise.

eta ~The person who put that video up over at YouTube has another one on how to make your own Dragon Egg and "Glass Display Case". That would make one awesome gift for someone out there who is a Game of Thrones fan. At least, IMO.

Anyway...Just thought I'd mention that for those interested.
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 12-31-2012 at 03:11 AM.

vCash
    Trailer for Desolation of Smaug. The voice of Benedict Cumberbatch

Some info on Tauriel, who is sounding like a major Mary Sue. Big ugh if she's Legolas' love interest. Bigger ugh if she's Thranduil's. I mean, obviously he had a wife at some point because there's Legolas. And Tolkien Elves are super conservative-having sex means they are married and they only marry once (the one time an elf married two twice ended up being such a mess that none will ever try for a second marriage again).

vCash
    Tauriel is a ridiculous inclusion. I also heard a rumour that she's supposed to be Kili's love interest - which just makes me want to throw something because that defies several of Tolkien's ideals throughout the stories.

Heh, yeah, after the screwup Finwe made of things, no elf's ever gonna try that one again. But then think about it; if Finwe wasn't allowed to marry again, we'd never have wound up with Galadriel or Elrond.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast