Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Or Frodo?
    Well, I think The Hobbit is going to be framed as a flashback, so I can see Frodo and Old Bilbo being there as Old Bilbo relates his story to Frodo. Dunno about Galadriel.

vCash
    As if the preview itself isn't awesome enough, we get Richard Armitage's singing thrown in too (swoons).
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Ooooh, I can't wait!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Gniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <- can't speak. I WANNA see it nooooooow !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I really hate waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    We have to wait a whole year!
    Settle down, people! It's going to be a two-part movie, and the second part won't be released until December 2013.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Trivia: "The Hobbit" was written first (as far as publication goes) and was not originally written or intended to have anything to do with The Lord of the Rings. In fact after deciding to make it backstory for LOTR, Tolkien had to go back to the already-published book and "correct" the story of how Bilbo acquires the Ring from Gollum because the original version (which JRRT called "Bilbo's fictional account") suddenly made no sense with how the Ring affects the Ringbearers-Gollum originally wagered the Ring away of his own accord, which he obviously wouldn't do. It was originally meant to just be a fairly light, readable fantasy, which is why it's missing things like the long poetical digressions and massive amounts of backstory.

And the first thing I thought when I saw "The Fellowship of the Ring" was "Why aren't they making 'The Hobbit'?" (The LAST thing I thought was "OMG THIS MOVIE IS INSANELY LONG END END END..." Clearly I am not the person for whom the Extended Editions were created.)

ETA: Since when is Galadriel in "The Hobbit"?

Yeah, The Hobbit was meant as more of a childrens' book - and it is the first book I recall my dad reading to me, I must have been about 5 or 6? I can't wait to read it to baby Viking too

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I half wonder if Tolkien wrote it for a mental break from the staggering amount of R&D he did for LOTR, or if he had children or grandchildren bugging him to tell them a story and as LOTR isn't exactly bedtime reading material for tots he just said "FINE, HERE, 'In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit,' are you happy now?"

vCash
    Galadriel is in the film because these two Hobbit movies are part Hobbit book, part stories from the Appendicies from LotR. That's how they are able to make two movies out of One simple book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Well, I think The Hobbit is going to be framed as a flashback, so I can see Frodo and Old Bilbo being there as Old Bilbo relates his story to Frodo. Dunno about Galadriel.
    Spoiler

Spoiler

vCash
    I half wonder if Tolkien wrote it for a mental break from the staggering amount of R&D he did for LOTR, or if he had children or grandchildren bugging him to tell them a story and as LOTR isn't exactly bedtime reading material for tots he just said "FINE, HERE, 'In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit,' are you happy now?"
    The Hobbit (1937) was published long before LOTR (1954).

vCash
    Wheeeee Waiting for decemeber 2012
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsparky View Post
    Wheeeee Waiting for decemeber 2012
    EEK. I hope I get to see the movie before the Mayan calendar runs out and the world ends. Maybe they'll move the other one up because it would be a shame if nobody got to see it.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Although Richard Armitage looks great, I always pictured Thorin to be older. I think of the Dwarves present, he's supposed to be the oldest. But nitpicking aside, I can't wait.

vCash
    Or Frodo?
    and

Spoiler

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Finally saw the Trailer over at YouTube and...

OMG!!! IS IT DECEMBER 2012 YET!?!

Looks amazing and I had the chills running down my spine tingle producing could burst out of my skin excitement experience again that I haven't had since my first look of ROTK back in the Spring/Summer of 2003.

Can. Not. WAIT!!!

vCash
    Can't wait It's like having a reunion with friends, seeing the trailer. So many great actors that are a part of this. Chills!!!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The Hobbit (1937) was published long before LOTR (1954).
    It took him more than thirty years to write LOTR, which was less a book than an excuse to create multiple languages and an entire "mythology" for England. The fact that he got a couple novels out of it was in his mind somewhat beside the point. (He wanted it all to be one book, in fact, but publishers wisely talked him into three.)

vCash
    Cross-posting from the SHerlock thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

vCash
    It now transpires that the movie version of The Hedgehog The Hobbit will be in three installments, not two.

Scathing Commentary in The Guardian.

I gotta say, three four-hour installments took The Lord of the Rings from to . I seriously considered walking out of The Return of the King. And, in retrospect, I should have.

Spread out over a year or not, I don't think I want to spend that much more time with Peter Jackson's version of Middle Earth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    It now transpires that the movie version of The Hedgehog The Hobbit will be in three installments, not two.

Scathing Commentary in The Guardian.

I gotta say, three four-hour installments took The Lord of the Rings from to . I seriously considered walking out of The Return of the King. And, in retrospect, I should have.
    One of the funniest, rolling-on-the-floor, gut-busting, gasping for air laugther that I ever had was at Return of the King. I has seen it once and then went back a week later to see it at the theater with my brother and sister-in-law. Anyway, there was a VERY elderly man sitting in front of me (I'd guess at least 85 y/o). As the endless scenes stretched out with with Frodo at Mount Doom poised to throw in the ring, this old man shouted, "JUST THROW THE FU*KING RING IN ALREADY!"

It was such a sincere and involuntary outburst and I had to leave the theater because I burst out laughing and couldn't stop. I was in hysterics for several minutes in the hallway with a bewildered theater staff looking on. Simply unforgettable - and summed up my feelings when I first saw the picture.

vCash

ETA: Since when is Galadriel in "The Hobbit"?
    Or Frodo?
    I agree.

As a Tolkien lover, the LOTR movies have not worn well for me. Peter Jackson changed the motivation for every single character that Tolkien created. I can't imagine he won't do the same in the Hobbit. Three movies? Not.

This time I don't intend to let myself be overwhelmed by the special effects and the art direction. Those parts of the creation of middle earth are wonderful and I give full marks to Jackson. Now, Mr. Jackson, please leave the story and the characters alone.

vCash
    I didn't know there were two films being made from The Hobbit.

I am not looking forward to this as much as LOTR because it is a simpler story meant for a younger audience - but I'll excited nonetheless and will be planning to go see it well before it is released. Love Ian McKellen and anticipate another marvelous visual feast from Peter Jackson.

Thank I'll probably watch LOTR again, for the third time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast