vCash

Which way around do you go - clockwise or anti-clockwise?

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but when I was visiting an art exhibition today, I went clockwise around the room whilst one of my friends went anti-clockwise.

The reason I ask the question is anytime I go into a store I usually do go the clockwise direction every time.

Do others do the same thing?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Stores expect you to go to the right (anti clockwise), at least in the US. That's why the bread and milk are in the top left quadrant of the market.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I'm a left-handed person who learned to do a lot of things right-handed in school. I don't have a natural preference anymore, I do what is convenient at the time.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Stores expect you to go to the right (anti clockwise), at least in the US. That's why the bread and milk are in the top left quadrant of the market.
    Publix stores here have the bakery in the lower right quadrant - it's a hassle because if you get any baked goods or bread you have to keep moving it around in the trolley so it doesn't get crushed. Fresh fruit and veg are in the upper right.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Publix stores here have the bakery in the lower right quadrant - it's a hassle because if you get any baked goods or bread you have to keep moving it around in the trolley so it doesn't get crushed. Fresh fruit and veg are in the upper right.
    At our store, it's the produce that gets squished. Fresh bakery is on the way to the checkout to grab those impulse buyers. There's a huge display of store made pastry that you have to pass if you buy milk.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I know this sounds like a stupid question, but when I was visiting an art exhibition today, I went clockwise around the room whilst one of my friends went anti-clockwise.
    Is your friend from the northern hemisphere? I wonder if there's some kind of coriolis effect going on.

For me, in galleries it depends entirely on the layout of the gallery, and whether there are more people to the left or right (I'll go to the less populated area).

For stores, it depends on what I'm buying -- since I almost always use a hand basket instead of a cart I put lighter & non-refrigerated items in the basket first, and strategize for heavy vs. frozen/refrigerated last.

And of course every store has a different layout. If the door's entrance is on the right, it's more natural to start on the right and work more-or-less counterclockwise, but if the store's entrance is on the left it's the opposite.

vCash
    I guess I am kind of ambidextrous - I usually go clockwise at the supermarket, counterclockwise at the regular market, and I don't have a preference in other places, it really depends on the layout.

I think if I were a skater I would be a clockwise jumper/spinner, when I try jumping on the floor it feels more natural.

vCash
    In the store I often wander all over the place as I remember things I wanted to get or look for things I don't know where to find.

vCash
    I work at a large retail chain in the US and the store is set up to go anti-clockwise. A lot of other places are as well.

vCash
    All supermarkets here put the milk right at the back of the supermarket. So you have to pass by everything else to get it. And along with way you buy lots of crap on impulse.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Like Aliceanne, I don't have a natural preference when walking.

But I do crossovers and jumps clockwise most of the time. Maybe because I'm right-handed. Idk

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    It depends on the store and how it's laid out and where the entrances/exits are. But I have strong preferences for each store. For example, I always enter my supermarket from their right entrance and go counter-clockwise. But I go clockwise around the local Target.

I think these stores actually set themselves up to be traversed in a particular way as I tend to go clockwise around both Targets in my town even though I enter one on the right and one of the left.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Nobody said this? At Disney World, always choose the left if you have a choice. The lines move faster, based on the touring guides.

Most people choose to go to the right as they enter an area, store or restaurant. Of course, that means you sometimes feel like a salmon swimming upstream.

In stores, I usually go to the department, but at Costco/BJs, where the entrance and exit are on the left, I go through clockwise.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    At Disney World, always choose the left if you have a choice. The lines move faster, based on the touring guides.
    The Unofficial Guides to the various Disney parks have tested this and said there is absolutely no truth to it.

There have actually been a lot of studies on our movement patterns through public spaces including studies on which bathroom stalls have the most traffic. It's not as simple as "people always go this way". They have found that it depends on things like the colors of the walls, the size of the aisles, etc. In bathrooms, it even depends on how the doors hang -- if one is slightly open vs. closed vs. wide open.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.