vCash

Rochette enjoying life sans competition (for now)

Rochette talks about her show programs, among other things: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    2 excerpts:
    "I would love to come back, but I love doing shows also. It's a tough decision," Rochette said. "I watched the Grand Prix Final last week, and I wanted to be there ... I guess I will decide in the next year or so for the next Olympics."
    "Everyone will handle [a situation like that] in their own way," Rochette said. "I sent Mao a message as soon as I heard. I hope she comes back strong at Japanese nationals, if that is what she wants to do. I am sure she has people around her who are helping her."

vCash
    Come back Joannie, please. We miss you!!!

vCash
    I'm happy that she enjoys her new life. But of course, I'd love to see her competing again. She could have won Worlds last season, and this season too !

vCash
    I assumed that she would come back this year, watching last season's disappointment, but she didn't and me was really sad I too am happy to see her having the time of her life but I keep wondering how more wonderful it would have been if she was competing this season. If Joannie comes back for Sochi, IMO her main focus will be to skate in the team event since Canada has pretty decent chance to conquer this discipline with V/M, Patrick, D/R, and Joannie.

vCash
    When she says "I guess I will decide in the next year or so for the next Olympics", that leads me to believe she isn't really serious about Sochi.

If she has any real intentions of skating at Sochi, she would have to come back next season, the pre-Olympic season, in order to train and get back into shape for serious competition. That would mean she'd have to begin serious training in the summer of 2012, only 6 months from now.

The older the skater and the longer time removed from competition, the harder it is to return. Joannie turns 26 next month and will be 28 at Sochi, so it's not advisable for her to wait until the Olympic season to return, because that would be inviting injury (remember Sasha Cohen?) from trying to do too much in too short a time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    I assumed that she would come back this year, watching last season's disappointment, but she didn't and me was really sad I too am happy to see her having the time of her life but I keep wondering how more wonderful it would have been if she was competing this season. If Joannie comes back for Sochi, IMO her main focus will be to skate in the team event since Canada has pretty decent chance to conquer this discipline with V/M, Patrick, D/R, and Joannie.
    If you're referring to the 2012 World Team Trophy, Joannie would not be eligible to compete there. Skater eligibility is based on the highest 2011-2012 Seasons World Ranking for the discipline/country. Since Joannie didn't compete this season (except at the Japan Open, which is team-based and invitational, and doesn't count) she has no ranking and cannot represent Canada.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    If you're referring to the 2012 World Team Trophy, Joannie would not be eligible to compete there. Skater eligibility is based on the highest 2011-2012 Seasons World Ranking for the discipline/country. Since Joannie didn't compete this season (except at the Japan Open, which is team-based and invitational, and doesn't count) she has no ranking and cannot represent Canada.
    I'm pretty sure l'etoile was referring to the team event at Sochi

vCash
    ^ oh, I was talking about Sochi Olympics. WTT is always hosted by and in Japan, isn't it? But thanks for the info. I didn't know about the eligibility for WTT.

vCash
    If she does decide to quit competing, let's all thank her for her inspiring journey, her beautiful programs, and wish her all the best in the next chapter of her life. How many of us could have accomplished what she did, through triumph and tragedy, and did it with such dignity and grace?

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    If she does decide to quit competing, let's all thank her for her inspiring journey, her beautiful programs, and wish her all the best in the next chapter of her life. How many of us could have accomplished what she did, through triumph and tragedy, and did it with such dignity and grace?
    And if she decides to continue competing, lets scream till we lose our voices

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    And if she decides to continue competing, lets scream till we lose our voices
    I gladly second them!

vCash
    so nice she's being busy with other things
    even with her recent retirement.

any news about Miki Ando's retirement status ?

vCash
    Miki said we shouldn't worry because she would not retire for sure.

vCash
    It was kind of her to contact Mao so quickly. If there's anyone who could understand what Mao was going through, it's Joannie.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartek View Post
    Miki said we shouldn't worry because she would not retire for sure.
    thanks. so she just taken a season's off/break then
    excited to see her back next season

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I miss Joannie's skating. David Wilson and Shae Lynn Bourne really created some beautiful competitive programs for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I miss Joannie's skating. David Wilson and Shae Lynn Bourne really created some beautiful competitive programs for her.
    This.

vCash
    A wonderful athlete who rose to the occassion in ways few could imagine. Admiration is well earned. The opportunity to continue with her career life cycle as a performer and professional seems such a wisely chosen path. If she can inspire another generation of young contenders amidst the eligible ranks at home in Canada, then it will only be further positive. With the emergence of so many remarkable jumping beans, not sure such maturity would be appreciated (not sure) and not sure further that it would be worth the opportunity cost to her of continuing with the life she is crafting.