vCash

Celebration on Ice

I could have sworn there was a Celebration on Ice thread around here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

I went to the show last night in Boisbriand, QC. Here's my (absurdly long) review of the show. There's a much bigger focus on the group numbers than the solos here b/c I had the chance to watch them practice the group numbers so they stuck in my head better.

Review: http://www.kurtfiles.com/reviews/coi11.php

Photos still to come. I really enjoyed the show, and if you're in Matane tonight (and can get there in the next hour), Bathurst tomorrow, or St. John's on Monday, I recommend it.

FYI the cast was Kurt Browning, Jeff Buttle, Shawn Sawyer, Joannie Rochette, Cynthia Phaneuf, Violetta Afanasieva, Jamie Sale & David Pelletier, and Kirsten Moore-Towers & Dylan Moscovitch, with musical guest Geoffrey Tyler, plus some local skaters. For more info: http://www.celebrationonicetour.com

vCash
    Wonderful review Teenes. Thanks for posting. I look forward to upcomming photos! I wish there were some youtube videos of this.

Agree with what you said about Sawyer's "Working for the Weekend" number. Always entertaining. Not trying to be too serious at all here (and I don't run skating shows so what do I know), but I'm not sure if a number about the 9 to 5 drudgery comming rom a privileged show skater is completely appropriate in this time of economic uncertainty. Maybe I'm just trying to drum up 1000 reasons for why I think he should have done his amazing signature Alice in Wonderland program instead. Ha.

I love your vivid description of the group numbers. Great that there's a little more "theatre" going on in these shows. Again, bravo!

vCash
    Thanks, oakl0008! Glad you liked the review. Photos are being worked on, though may be slow thanks to the fact that I have family in town and am not sure when I can work on them now!

The "Working for the Weekend" number is just Shawn playing a character, so it doesn't bother me that much, I just thought it ironic. But I can understand wanting to see a program you love more . I had the opposite problem - I actually was hoping Kurt would do the Canadian Tenors number he did in Holiday Festival on Ice at Celebration on Ice. I love Steppin' Out to pieces, and I think it's awesome Kurt and Geoffrey get to perform together live, but I was looking forward to seeing something new!

vCash
    Thanks for the review Teenes. My wife and I are going tonight in Saint John.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Dave - according to posts on Facebook, the bus had some problems enroute to Saint John but they'll be there on time to do the show. It sounds like it's a great show. Enjoy!!
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Dave - I hope you enjoy/are enjoying the show! I'd love to hear about it - I'm really curious how the English version goes, and from these photos they posted on the COI FB page, Kurt and Geoffrey have been continuing to tweak the script:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4620425&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4620425&type=3

vCash
    We got to the show on time; we were held up a few minutes as there was a pileup on the highway - it was raining/snowing, so a little slippery.

The show was pretty much as Teenes described in her review, with the addition of Elvis, doing his first number to a ballad and his second being the typical Elvis program. Great to see hm, he skated well. In the group numbers it showed he had only been in two shows.

Local skaters were a 9 yr old ___ Stoddard, a synchro team that did a fairly basic program (One girl skated with glasses on, more about her later...), a group of young skaters who were cute, and Emily Taylor who skated at Challenge in juniors.

After half time, Kurt came out was skating around, then said to one young woman -"Weren't you in the synchro group" (he might have said precision, I know he said it one time) It was the one that wore glasses. He asked her name, what she going to get for Christmas. "I don't know" she said. Then Kurt asked the guy next to her (his name was Cody) what he was going to give her. Cody gets down on one knee and proposes to the girl! Much cheering and clapping... (I assume she said yes, I couldn't hear what she said...)

When the skaters were skating around at the end waving to the audience, Geoffrey Tyler caught his toepick and went down flat on his face. Jeff Buttle also had a funny fall when he and Shawn and Kurt were doing their stuff during the finale. Kurt said something like "Yeah he's still learning that step"

Anyway it was a fun show. The lower bowl was pretty well full and there were some people in the upper bowl too.

ETA: Kurt hosted, and David didn't do the French interview of Geoffrey

vCash
    Thanks, Dave! Wow, so Cody arranged with COI to do his proposal at that show? That must have been quite a night for that young lady, between getting to share the ice with all these champions and then getting proposed to, with Kurt Browning as the facilitator . Go Cody!

I guess the whole quizzing of Geoffrey is only funny because of his lack of understanding of French, so there's no reason to do a Q&A part with him when it's Kurt hosting in English.

Glad you (and the skaters) got to the show safely!

vCash
    It's a miracle - I got my photos up before Christmas!

Here are my photos from the Boisbriand show:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/pics/event....briand&search=

Enjoy!

vCash
    Rockin' photos Teenes, as always!

I wonder why Sawyer is wearing purple instead of red in the last group number? Either way--looks good on him!