Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weir Interview

vCash
    Last edited by Iceman; 12-17-2011 at 06:27 PM.

vCash
    I think that Baryshnikov would be very surprised to hear that he's a "ballerina" (I hope that was the writer's error - Weir couldn't be that ignorant about dance). Is Misha a dancer? definitely; when he was on the ballet stage, a danseur noble? he was that; a ballerina? I don't think so.

Oh dear, now I'm getting visions of Baryshnikov in a tutu...LOL Ya think that's what Johnny had in mind? Just kidding!
    Last edited by Willowway; 12-17-2011 at 07:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I think that Baryshnikov would be very surprised to hear that he's a "ballerina" (I hope that was the writer's error - Weir couldn't be that ignorant about dance). Is Misha a dancer? definitely; when he was on the ballet stage, a danseur noble? he was that; a ballerina? I don't think so.

Oh dear, now I'm getting visions of Baryshnikov in a tutu...LOL Ya think that's what Johnny had in mind? Just kidding!
    Yeah I think the ballerina word is quite unfair.

vCash
    I took the "ballerina" comment as an attempt to be funny, not a mistake.

vCash
    Thanks for the article, always nice to hear from Johnny!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    I took the "ballerina" comment as an attempt to be funny, not a mistake.
    But isn't that why so many Americans look down on male ballet dancers and figure skaters because they feel dance is feminine?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Sometimes men are called "ballerinos".

Baryshnikov was cast in Premier Danseur (princes) roles in the West. I'm not sure what his rep was in the Soviet Union, but he was what was in traditional Kirov/Mariinsky type-casting, a demi-caractere dancer (Coppelia, Don Q, lots of jesters)
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 12-17-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Sometimes men are called "ballerinos".

Baryshnikov was cast in Premier Danseur (princes) roles in the West. I'm not sure what his rep was in the Soviet Union, but he was what was in traditional Kirov/Mariinsky type-casting, a demi-caractere dancer (Coppelia, Don Q, lots of jesters)
    But ballerino is Italian for male ballet dancer. And ballerina means female ballet dancer. In many languages words have masculine and feminine forms and so there's a difference between ballerino and ballerina. Ballerina has always referred to a female dancer. And isn't the ballerina really the big female star? Not sure what being a court jester has to do with it.
    Last edited by bek; 12-17-2011 at 08:31 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I can't bring up the article on my phone -- the page is coming up blank -- so I can't tell if he was being cheeky, or was mis-heard, since "ballerino" is rarely used.

Prima Ballerina or Prima Ballerina Assoluta is what the female star is called. "Ballerina can be used to describe a six-year-old or the ideal -- ie, "She's a true ballerina." regardless of rank or star status.

Ballerina is usually not a rank. Principal Dancer is often the top, except for Paris Opera Ballet, which has a limited number of "Etoiles". Sometimes the top rank is First Dancer, but a top-ranked female dancer isn't always a ballerina -- the are plenty of lifetime achievement/outlast them all/loyal member of the company promotions -- in the ideal sense, and many lower-ranked dancers are ballerinas.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 12-18-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    But isn't that why so many Americans look down on male ballet dancers and figure skaters because they feel dance is feminine?
    Well, speaking as a gay man, if I heard another gay man use "ballerina" the way Johnny seems to be using it here, I would probably hear it as ironic and campy. I'm sure Johnny knows too much about ballet to have been using the term seriously, and I doubt he meant it as any kind of insult.

Bear in mind, I don't have any particular need to defend Johnny, he generally annoys me in his interviews (including parts of this one ). I just don't think he meant that particular comment the way it's being interpreted.

I did like this comment about figure skating judges:

There’s a whole list of things we aren’t allowed to do. Even with the women, you can’t wear theatrical makeup. The men aren’t allowed to wear tights. They have to wear pants or something that looks like pants. The rules are endless for costuming and music. Especially now that the judges are a half a century older than the skater and they may not get Gaga.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    Well, speaking as a gay man, if I heard another gay man use "ballerina" the way Johnny seems to be using it here, I would probably hear it as ironic and campy. I'm sure Johnny knows too much about ballet to have been using the term seriously, and I doubt he meant it as any kind of insult.

Bear in mind, I don't have any particular need to defend Johnny, he generally annoys me in his interviews (including parts of this one ). I just don't think he meant that particular comment the way it's being interpreted.

I did like this comment about figure skating judges:

Well I get that but I think using that term just perpetuates the myth in America that dancing isn't something for straight men" If your going to make it sound that feminine. It doesn't matter if its being perputuated that way to gay or straight guys. I think it is a problem. How does referring a male ballet dancer as a ballerina help matters there?

Even I know that what a male ballet dancer does and what a female ballet dancer does is two very different things. It takes a lot of strength and athleticism I would think to be a male ballet dancer and be able to lift female dancers. I'd imagine gay male ballet dancers, would like that to be recognized too.
    Last edited by bek; 12-17-2011 at 09:19 PM.

vCash
    Well, this is just Johnny being Johnny, yet again, and no time should IMO be wasted on taking any of it seriously or even at face value, including this little jem (truly outrageous!)
    Especially now that the judges are a half a century older than the skater and they may not get Gaga
    yeah, because 50 years ago Peggy Fleming and Tim Wood skated in front of a panel of same age, long-haired hipster judges in Neru jackets, not cranky old white-haired farts, and Gaga is a true visionary and not ripping-off, sorry I meant paying homage to, 1960s artists like Jack Smith and Kenneth Anger.

vCash
    Love the idea of Johnny competing in curling someday. Maybe he can bring sparkles to the sport. LOL!

This interview seems generous and full of gratitude and professional. His reference to Baryshnikov as a "ballerina" reads to me like a rhetorical device, and an effective one, to make the point through exaggeration that the ideal of heterosexual masculinity differs widely from culture to culture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    Love the idea of Johnny competing in curling someday. Maybe he can bring sparkles to the sport. LOL!
    Oh, I think curling is getting quite colourful by itself already.

http://thecurlingnews.com/blog/2010/...curling-pants/
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    He should design curling pants, but Weir in a team sport?

vCash
    Great interview. What a sweet young man he is to support the Trevor Project so wholeheartedly.

vCash
    Most female dancers who dance ballet are called (female) ballet dancers. Ballerina, therefore, is a critical accolade bestowed on very few female dancers, somewhat similar to the title diva in opera. The male version of this term is danseur noble (French).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "Danseur noble" is a type of male dancer, the dancer who dances leading aristocratic male roles. There are male dancers who are as accomplished as danseurs nobles who would never be given that title, including most of the greatest who danced for Balanchine, because they didn't dance that type of role.

The way we bandy around the term "diva" on this board is the way the word "ballerina" is used for many female dancers. It can be used as a critical accolade -- although there's no Nobel Prize committee-like board that bestows it, so it becomes in the eye of the beholder -- and it can be used to describe a 16-year-old winner of YAGP or the local girl who dances the Sugar Plum Fairy with a local school-based company.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Well, this is just Johnny being Johnny, yet again, and no time should IMO be wasted on taking any of it seriously or even at face value, including this little jem (truly outrageous!) yeah, because 50 years ago Peggy Fleming and Tim Wood skated in front of a panel of same age, long-haired hipster judges in Neru jackets, not cranky old white-haired farts, and Gaga is a true visionary and not ripping-off, sorry I meant paying homage to, 1960s artists like Jack Smith and Kenneth Anger.
    This gets repeated often- about "old" judges, but I have been to a lot of competitions, and that's not what I see. Sure a few are in their 60s and 70s, but most are considerably younger, and the technical panel even more so. I would say (without seeing judges bios I can't be sure) that at most international comps they are in their 40s and 50s, with a few younger and a few older.

But judges now in their 70s would have grown up in the early days of Rock and Roll, in their 60s they would have grown up with the hippie movement and the sexual revolution. Those in their 50s grew up with Disco and Pink Floyd, and those in their 40s grew up with Madonna and Springsteen.

I realize that non-Western judges would have different frames of cultural reference (particularly China), but I don't think that Lady Gaga is much of a stretch to those who remember Madonna in her early days- or the "glam rock" of the 70s.

(By the way, I am replying to Johnny's original quote, not your post!)
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    But judges now in their 70s would have grown up in the early days of Rock and Roll, in their 60s they would have grown up with the hippie movement and the sexual revolution. Those in their 50s grew up with Disco and Pink Floyd, and those in their 40s grew up with Madonna and Springsteen.
    I'm suddenly realizing how old I am!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast